i miss my kit, do you think this will work

zakhopper316

Silver Member
as some of you guys know i live in an apartment, so thankfully i had the money to buy a decent electric kit, but some days it just doesn't do for me, so im thinking about going to the storage unit on sat. and playing my kit for a while in the parking lot, they are usually pretty dead there, but there will probably be a few people since its sat. do you think they will call the cops, ask me to stop? if so where could i go outside to play? all my friends live in apartments also.

Find the owner of the storage garage. Ask him if it is okay. Usually those things are in out of the locations. If you have permission, then you don't have to worry about the police.

Find the owner of the storage garage. Ask him if it is okay. Usually those things are in out of the locations. If you have permission, then you don't have to worry about the police.

Sounds like the best option to me.........the big downside being, that if he says "no" from the outset, then you can't just plead ignorance when called on it.

i've never tried this, but in some big cities i've seen drummers practicing in distant corners of public parking lots, such as museum parking lots or zoo parking lots.

Sounds like the best option to me.........the big downside being, that if he says "no" from the outset, then you can't just plead ignorance when called on it.

The upside is that if he says "yes" you don't have to feel like you have to play secretly.

If you do go to the park, print the link Monica sent you so you look like you did your homework, and if push comes to shove you just get up and leave without arguement.

hey everyone just wanted to let you know it went well, i got about 30 min. of playing in at the storage unit until the manager came out, he was cool about it, he let me play for a while and said i had to stop, but he also said he doesn't mind if i do this once in a while

so then i packed up my drums and went to a large parking garage used for events at madison square park, and for general city parking, and it went great, i parked at the very top, and didn't see a car or person the hole time, played for about 2 and a half hours then called it quits, im gonna start doing this about once a week probably.

I find this problem a bit where I live as well because I live in a unit. I tend to just practice stuff like rudiments on a pad and when I play my kit I play it with brushes, there isn't much I can do about the kick except take it easy, still doesn't give a proper experience.

LOL I lived in my storage unit for a while, so I set up my kit and used a power inverter to power the stereo to play along to. This place (U-Store It) forbids actually living there but had absolutely no problem with me playing my drums there. By law- your storage unit is YOUR property and if you are set up IN the unit, you have the right to play there. Only if some A-whole complains that you are "A quality of life nuisance" or breaking some ordinance of loud music can they shut you down. I d say go with the storage place man!

(Edit) I forgot to notice that NY laws differ from NJ laws... My bad. But you could always cross the river and find a U-Store It in Jersey. I think I saw one right off Rt 3 just outta the Lincoln Tunnel...

hey everyone just wanted to let you know it went well, i got about 30 min. of playing in at the storage unit until the manager came out, he was cool about it, he let me play for a while and said i had to stop, but he also said he doesn't mind if i do this once in a while

so then i packed up my drums and went to a large parking garage used for events at madison square park, and for general city parking, and it went great, i parked at the very top, and didn't see a car or person the hole time, played for about 2 and a half hours then called it quits, im gonna start doing this about once a week probably.
Playing outside is the best! Drums work best in that venue! Glade that it kind of worked out for you. I would find out what the storage manager drinks and stay friendly with him. it rains a lot in NYC! LOL

LOL I lived in my storage unit for a while, so I set up my kit and used a power inverter to power the stereo to play along to. This place (U-Store It) forbids actually living there but had absolutely no problem with me playing my drums there. By law- your storage unit is YOUR property and if you are set up IN the unit, you have the right to play there. Only if some A-whole complains that you are "A quality of life nuisance" or breaking some ordinance of loud music can they shut you down. I d say go with the storage place man!

(Edit) I forgot to notice that NY laws differ from NJ laws... My bad. But you could always cross the river and find a U-Store It in Jersey. I think I saw one right off Rt 3 just outta the Lincoln Tunnel...

yea there is one right out of the lincoln tunnel, i actually pass it all the time. i go to edge water nj to see my old girlfriend, its right on the river up town from Hoboken, unfortunately my storage unit is just barley tall enough to fit my bass drum and toms standing up, its the smallest one, only 40 bucks a month tho, and climate controlled so my drums dont get all messed up,

madison square park? thats awesome. to think, i've been using this little studio in queens when i have the $....that and alot of jonesing......

With such a minor infraction, it may be better to ask for forgiveness than permission. Even if the police do arrive, they will probably ask you to just move along.

GJS

Back