Types of Snare Drum

Between shell material, drum diameter, and drum depth, there is pretty much an infinite amount of choices of snare. And lets not forget shell construction either.

I couldn't even begin to explain how many "types" there are.

Well. there really are only 2 types. Good and bad. :)

I say this with a flavor or of humor because of the almost infinite number of choices you have with snare drum, but if you think about it, regardless of all factors, bottom line is that if you like your snare sound, it is good it you don't like it it is bad.

Between shell material, drum diameter, and drum depth, there is pretty much an infinite amount of choices of snare. And lets not forget shell construction either.

Plus # of sets of snare wires, strainer systems, hoop type, head tuning and thickness and construction, additional effects... I couldn't even begin to explain how many "types" there are.

The number and mass of the lugs makes a difference on all but the heaviest shells, and hoop mass and material also makes a noticeable difference in the sound.

Snares (and toms) also react differently to the weight of the stick, the force of the stroke, where on the head the stick lands, and how much rim is played in the stroke.

So in addition to the shell specifications, there are many factors that affect how a drum sounds. Two drummers can play the same drum, and it can sound different.

Bermuda

The number and mass of the lugs makes a difference on all but the heaviest shells, and hoop mass and material also makes a noticeable difference in the sound.

Ok, so for the same shell, but lighter lower mass lugs, what do you expect as the outcome in sound (all other factors the same)?

Ok, so for the same shell, but lighter lower mass lugs, what do you expect as the outcome in sound (all other factors the same)?

chiming in on Opentune's question... I'd expect more tone (very generally) at lower volumes and a bit more shell involvement in the overall sound.
Agreed. Lower mass, either by using less lugs, or/and lighter lugs, will allow the shell to open up more readily at lower dynamic, & increase the choke threshold too. This has a more noticeable affect on some shells more than others. Typically, on very thick (or otherwise less resonant) shells, the affect is diminished. Similar story with hoop mass, but the affect of hoop type is reflected more in the head response than shell involvement.

Back