Show off your TAMA !

Red Viking!

463348_3420714407256_14937273_o.jpg

I can't tell you how much I love that finish! What's the side snare?
Thanks!!!! The Scandinavian Birch looks like it is melting--outrageous! And the 8 plies of BOOBANGA do it right. And I hear it adds something to the sound--who knows? You know what a tremendous sound the Tama Bubinga is. Wow.
Right now, I am actually using the Tama snare that came with the kit. The Ultra Violet Microflake snare is a 12"x7" 8 ply maple Pearl Masterworks with black diecast hoops and a Dennis Chamber three way snare throw off. It is pretty tits. I ordered it right when they started the masterworks line. It is my side snare now.

The side snare pictured is one that Cadeson gave me back in 2003 at NAMM. It is a 12x5 slop maple. It actually sounds pretty cool. It has a tom mount on it.

I am in mutual admiration of your kit as well. The tom mounts are way cool, and the double kicks, whoah. It's a beauty.

Here's my '89 Rockstar. 12-13-16-22. Zildjian 14-16-20 Scimitar cymbals. I put the 12" over the bass when the head on the 13" split! My bands drummer Sam gave me a Remo Powerstroke 4 so I put that on it. The snare is terrible but am hoping to upgrade to a Gretsch Maple 12ply 14"x8" soon from thomann. Sound pretty good and is fun to play.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 3,814
Here's my 5 pc Rockstar DX I just picked up on Saturday. It's in pretty good shape. I wish I could tell what year it was made, there are numbers on the badges but I googled them and they don't translate to anything. It has a Tama double bass pedal, Zildjian hi hats, a 16" Sabian crash and the ride I can't tell what it is because the logo is faded. I'm just starting out, so I wanted something basic, but a little more heavy duty than the beginner brands. I'm real happy with it. I'd like to get a second crash, but otherwise it's perfect for me. Even the heads are fairly new.

IMG_0099.JPG

I had that exact kit.................bought it 88 / 89. Ended up in Fort Polk, LA needing cash, pawned it. Long story short, I deployed overseas and was not able to get it back. They got everything, drums, hardware, cymbals, etc. for $200. Still pisses me off to this day

I am in mutual admiration of your kit as well. The tom mounts are way cool, and the double kicks, whoah. It's a beauty.

Thank you, I appreciate the compliment! I like the streamlined look of the new tom mounts, one of the reasons I went with Tama. Does a nice job of showing off the finish and remaining subtle. I have more in store for my monster but I'll hold off on the surprise!

I just picked up this '89 (I think) Rockstar Pro shell set. I did a little research on them and found out that this is the best line of Rockstars you can get. So, I got them because they are a classic and I used to have a Rockstar set that I liked. I like the lugs on this older model, made in Japan, from the 80's. The serial number is pretty low too. 009200.

It's a little scuffed up. I might re-wrap it if I get that far. First I'm getting new heads all around. Probably Emperors over clear Ambs, or Amb X over Ambs. SuperKick II on the bass drum, of course. Next will come the hoop upgrade to 2.3mm powerhoops, re-sand and re-paint the wood hoops, and shine up all the hardware. Then, I'm thinking of upgrading the tom post to vintage Imperialstar style because that's the one thing about this kit I'm not so keen on. Luckily, I have a vintage Imperialstar tom post just laying around. I only need the mount bracket for the bass drum. Hopefully, that won't be too hard to find. Lastly, I'll re-wrap it with some Sparkle Brite or my favorite cheap plain white wrap from Precision Drums.

Update: So far I have the new 2.3mm rims, a 12, 13 & 16 set of coated emperors (which have the Pro Drum Shop logo on them BTW), and Pro Drums had an old vintage Imperialstar Bass drum mount sitting in their spare parts drawer. Got lucky there. I got the rims and talked to the guy at BoneYard about rewrapping it in my favorite white wrap from Precision Drums. My biggest hurdle will be getting those badges off safely intact. I'd prefer letting BoneYard do the wrapping part. He did a good job on my orphan kit. Well, I'll post an 'after' pic when it's done.

rockstar_zpsbc4cda9a.jpg

Last edited:
I've got a Starclassic 6 piece kit, and I'm trying to figure out all the manufacture dates, but it appears that all the drums have different serial numbers on the badges. Just wondering if I'm looking in the correct place, and if anyone knows of an online dater, or something easier than trying to get in touch with Tama's customer service. The supposed "minus ten from the first two numbers" rule that I see around every once in a while would date each drum to 1992, before the Starclassic line was released.

Last edited:
Here is my Starclassic Maple kit, in Red Sparkle Burst finish. Sounds really good with coated G2's, really warm sounding. Sizes are 22x20" (I prefer 22x18" but started to get a better sound out of it with EMAD batter and slight internal muffling), 10x8", 12x9", 14x12", 16x14". Pictured are my old 13x6" Mapex Black Panther maple snare, I now have a 14x6,5" Tama SLP Power Maple (and also a 14x5,5" Mapex Black Panther Thomann S.E. Mapa Burl, maple snare). Cymbals pictured are (I have others as well, mostly Meinl):14" Meinl Soundcaster Fusion hats, 16" Meinl Mb10 Medium Crash, 18" Meinl Mb10 Medium Crash, 22" Paiste 2oo2 Rock Bell Ride, 18" Paiste Rude China, 10" Bosphorus Trad. Splash, 10" Bosphorus Antique Splash, Gibraltar Road Series Rack, Yamaha DFP-9500C double pedals and mix of Pearl/Tama cymbal holders/stands-

Attachments

• 2012-04-28_17-53-45_773 (Kopier).jpg
    2012-04-28_17-53-45_773 (Kopier).jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 4,774
  • 2012-04-28_17-53-52_293 (Kopier).jpg
    2012-04-28_17-53-52_293 (Kopier).jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 3,653
  • 2012-04-28_17-52-52_964 (Kopier).jpg
    2012-04-28_17-52-52_964 (Kopier).jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 3,681
  • IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    245.6 KB · Views: 3,862
Last edited:
Here's my modest 1983 Superstar in Cherry Wine. I had Precision Drum Co. cut the toms down to standard depths. I also have an 18" at home.
IMG_2083.jpg

I keep saying that "I'm done!" but I just added my homemade acrylic octobans and moved some things around to accommodate them. Hope you enjoy!

Tama 6 pc. (with added 8" birch tom stained and poly to match) Silverstar Birch with Tamo Ash outer wrap (8', 10", 12" rack toms, 14" and 16" floor toms, 14 X 5 snare, 22" kick)
4 homemade shorty acrylic octobans (11, 12, 13, 15")

I also have a 14 X 6.5" Tama SLP Power Maple snare and a 1965 14" Ludwig Pioneer snare with the rare Sky Blue Pearl wrap!

14" Sabian HHX Evolution primary hats
14" Sabian HH Dark X-Hats
22" Sabian AAX Metal Ride
16" Sabian HH Thin Chinese
17" Sabian HHX-Treme crash
18" Sabian HHX-Plosion crash
18" Sabian AAX Freq crash (!!!)
16" Istanbul Mehmet Radiant Sweet Crash
18" Istanbul Mehmet Carmine Appice Realistic Rock China
12" Wuhan China
8" Istanbul Agop Sultan Splash
10" Istanbul Mehmet Rock Splash
12" Sabian Mike Portnoy Signature Splash
Evans Black Chrome batter heads on Toms
Evans General Resonant heads on Toms
Evans G1 heads on octobans
Evans HD Dry coated head on snare/Hazy300
Evans EQ4 Kick drum batter
Remo Powerstroke 3 kick drum reso
Pearl P2000 double pedals, Hi-hat stand and remote hi-hat stand
Eccentric Systems Quick Torque Cams
Billdidit Hi-hat Drop Clutch and Wash Control
Kickport
Vic Firth Gavin Harrison Signature sticks
Audix and Shure mics
Pork Pie throne

P1010842_zps32c4b310.jpg

P1010843_zps389aaf81.jpg

P1010837_zps8b5fc88e.jpg

Last edited:
Crappy mobile-phone pics of my kit from last Sunday, as we were testing microphones to record a couple of songs in the studio where we normally rehearse.
You can see the studio's actual drum kit against one of the walls in the last pic :)

Slightly awkard cymbal positioning as we didn't have too much time to put the kit, mikes, mixer together in our allocated slot :)

My only kit (if we don't count a Roland TD-4 at home). Bought it new back in 1998. So it's a birch/basswood Tama Starclassic Performer. 22" 10" 12" 14" and with a new 16" suspended floor tom as well (http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95336)

There is also an 80ish Yamaha Club Custom birch/mahogany snare drum hiddens somewhere in the cases.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

Last edited:
Here is my Rockstar set. The snare is a Yamaha. I picked these up in January and plan on recovering them when I get the time.
045_zps82c8cb2b.jpg

046_zpsbd62de49.jpg

047_zpsc0c0621d.jpg

048_zps7b75eeed.jpg

Here are some shots of my most recent acquisition... Tama Starclassic Birch Performer (Made in Japan)
-In the top post, you can sort of see my new ( to me) World Max Bronze Hawg 6.5x14 snare.
-In the rest of them, it is shown with my Yamaha Elvin Jones 7x14 Signature snare with wood hoops.

IMG_20130503_182206_zpsbde974fd.jpg

Back