7 piece Sonor 3007 with Sabian cymbals

Sjogras

Silver Member
This is my point of view... sort of. :p Really hard to piece pictures together like this.
QdNtfOd.jpg

Cymbals

8" HH splash
14" Xs20 medium hats
19" HHX extreme crash
21" Vault Jack DeJohnette 3 point ride
17" HH thin crash
19" AAX extreme chinese

I guess I'll be replacing the chinese eventually, it's just too loud and bright in conjunction with the others, which are all thin. I'm also glancing towards an 18" evolution crash to have a glassy crash on the setup, both the HHX and HH crashes have a certain trashy, smokey quality. Amazing cymbals though, as are the ride and splash. The hats are very nice as well, the only cymbal I've kept from the xs20 set I bought. I may get some 15" or 16" to get the edge closer to the snare, I feel like I really have to compromise when using double pedals.

Drumheads
Toms, G plus over G1
Snare, G plus over Hazy 300
Bass, Remo ps4 over(not really though :p) Sonor stock

Drums
22x17.5", 14x5.5, 8x7", 10x8", 12x9", 14x14", and 16x16", which is a Sonor 2007 since the 3007s were discontinued when I wanted a 16" floor tom.. Bad luck eh? Still sounds great though, and it's not like the 16" sounds out of place, even though it's birch instead of maple like the 3007s. It suggests the question, how much does wood type matter really? Maybe more on high end kits, maybe less on intermediate kits. I don't know...

When I bought this kit, I honestly expected more out of the build quality, the lugs on the 8" for instance are quite unevenly mounted. The hoop only works in one way so to speak, in order to get the holes on the hoop and the lugs to match. And this... Sigh. http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95498
Acceptable? Not really. Well, the drum sounds great and that's what matters.

In addition, I've had to run a sand paper on the snare to get it even, there were always these two lug pairs that were lower. After that fix, it sounds great, no problem with tuning. Which brings me to the 12", which has been notoriously hard to tune, but for some reason it only sounds bad when it's mounted close to the 10" as they resonate with each other. I tune them a 4th apart, should be enough I assume? Same problem when tuned a 5th apart though. Very confusing... But with this current setup it is no problem, and it's nice to have a tom to the left anyway. Some lugs on the bassdrum are also unevenly mounted, but nothing bad enough to affect the sound.

Despite these flaws, the kit sounds really nice and I'm overall content.

And some more pics with the kit itself graphically unaltered. ^^
AGVEark.jpg

onTirCt.jpg

RsRrS6F.jpg

WqLxWW7.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the tom off to the left, how often do you use it? I know that I probably wouldn't be reaching over there often.

It's quite unuseful when you're sitting centered over the kit, playing the ride or riding the china for instance, but while I'm on the hi-hat or riding the HHX extreme with my right hand it's nice to play a flam between bassdrum and the 12", or stuff like 16th/32nd note rolls from 12" to snare, which would be very hard if it was sitting next to the 10".

But there comes these moments when I realize I've been playing for an hour without even touching it. ^_^

Last edited:
Cool kit, man. I've considered the 2007 and 3007's myself. Are yours black or the brown burst?

It's the "piano black" version. Brown burst was actually the color I wanted first, but would have costed 200€ more, from another vendor. Paying 200€ for a color that looks quite similar anyway... nah. Also, the piano black gives me a bigger range of matching colors when looking for additional snare drums. :)

Sjogras
"The hats are very nice as well, the only cymbal I've kept from the xs20 set I bought. I may get some 15" or 16" to get the edge closer to the snare, I feel like I really have to compromise when using double pedals. "

Very beautiful kit, Sjogras! By the way, have you tried placing the slave pedal on the left of the hi-hat? Allows for gettting the HH closer to the snare. Billy Ward uses his this way, and I have mine on the outside too. But I'm not a metal player and don't use it that much.

How does that 3 point ride sound?
Nice and crisp stick attack, very dark, the bell sound is perfect, but it's tiny!

have you tried placing the slave pedal on the left of the hi-hat? Allows for gettting the HH closer to the snare. Billy Ward uses his this way, and I have mine on the outside too. But I'm not a metal player and don't use it that much.

I actually tried that, but the link wasn't long enough! Nonetheless, I like how the current setting feels. The urge to move the hi-hat closer to the snare came from a long time of playing single pedal only, but as I put the slave pedal back one day and realized my double bass playing had gone disastrous I decided to start practicing again, thus having to compromise a bit.

I don't see myself as a metal drummer either, I never play straight 16ths or 32nds, but it's really useful for fills.

Back