Your opinions on this kit?

GrebGoneBad

Hi everyone!

What are your thoughts and opinions on the Ludwig Element Marble Birch 5pc kit? I recently purchased one for £450 from a website that was having a closing down sale, but what with this being the first kit I ever bought I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't really research the kit before I purchased it as I didn't have enough time before the website closed?

I purchased it in Sunburst, which I think looks really great! Here's a pick I found online of the kit:

http://www.drumcenternh.com/media/c...ab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/l/c/lcb520pxsr.jpg

What I would like to know is, is it a good kit for the price? With my own untrained eye it looks like a quality kit, with a very nicely finished paint job, good quality lugs and fittings, and all around it just looks great! But is it actually of a decent quality?

I've just invested in a complete set of new heads for it as the stock ones sound atrocious, and that's not just my own inexperience with tuning talking, I had a friend of a friend come round who tunes drums almost every week and he couldn't get it sounding much better! XD I want to make sure that my money was not ill spent, as I'm sure you can understand? =)

Anyway, any opinions or advice is greatly appreciated!

Nice set. The Element series is very popular. I know a guy who gigs one in a blues band. Never heard him complain about it. And it sounds good.​

Nice set. The Element series is very popular. I know a guy who gigs one in a blues band. Never heard him complain about it. And it sounds good.​

Phew! That's a relief! Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad that it's a good kit, like I say it sounds a bit crappy at the minute what with the stock heads but that's being remedied soon. =)

Getting any drum set to match the drum sound that you have inside your head is always difficult and time consuming.

We hear drums in recordings and live drums going through mixers and we get this certain drum sound stuck in our head. A sound that we would love to get out of our drum set.
Usually that exact sound seems unattainable as we play our drum set. Especially the first few drum sets that we own.

There are a lot of drum head choices and tuning options.

Don’t get discouraged.

Phew! That's a relief! Thanks for the reply!

I'm glad that it's a good kit, like I say it sounds a bit crappy at the minute what with the stock heads but that's being remedied soon. =)
Yeah, at that price point, you get UT heads, and it's pretty much a given that your gonna want to swap 'em out.​

...I've just invested in a complete set of new heads for it as the stock ones sound atrocious, ...
... I want to make sure that my money was not ill spent, as I'm sure you can understand? ...

Sounds like you were trying to decide if you should get a different drum set,
or get heads for the one you have, and decided on getting the heads.

I think you went the right way, and should be able to get them sounding real good with a little work.

Those'll do. Put new heads on it and play 'em! They'll hold up.

Thanks for the reply!

I've found this page on the Ludwig website:

http://www.ludwig-drums.com/element_birch.php

I hope that gives all the technical info? But yeah, I love the colour of the kit, and the chrome fittings contrast it really nicely. I'm hoping that the new heads will make it sound awesome too!

It appears to be a well-built mid line kit. You did fine in your purchase. Heads and tuning are the key elements no matter the kit. You should be well satisfied.

GeeDeeEmm

Good semi pro kit. Beautiful color.

Pros: Good kit that boarders the boundary between high-intermediate and semi-pro, and well worth $450.

Cons: They ship with APAC Ludwig heads, which are horrible. Put new heads on it asap.

Did it come with any extras or hardware?

Back