Thomas Lang drum academy!

SimSalaBim

Hi

Anyone tried this site yet? It's kind of a new way to learn drums online. Is this thing usable or just another one hit wonder.

Re: Thmas Lang drum academy!

Mike Johnson has been doing this for 2 years at mikeslessons.com so there's nothing new.

However, Lang and Cobham, are cool tutors.

Cheers
Davo

Lang and Cobham are not only "cool tutors". They are some of the best the world has to offer. Quite a difference.

Mike Johnson has been doing this for 2 years at mikeslessons.com so there's nothing new.

Actually what we're doing is quite new. We've solved the time and space conundrum of live lessons by having everything available on your time, not your teacher's.

Aside from the hundreds of lessons which are always available, you get to receive personalized instruction from two of the best in their specific styles, Thomas Lang (metal/rock/pop) or Billy Cobham (jazz/fusion/drum corps). They'll watch your practice videos and tell you exactly what you should be doing to better reach your goals.

Because the video exchanges are not done in "real time", you have a permanent copy of your teacher's advice which you can always refer back to when you're practicing. You get access to the other students' video exchanges in your school as well, so in this way everyone learns from each other!

Lang and Cobham are not only "cool tutors". They are some of the best the world has to offer. Quite a difference.

Well said. We partnered with them not only because they're the best, but because they have a real passion and dedication to teaching drums. We are furthering their legacy which will live long into the future, and we've only just begun!

Yes exactly - Mike Johnson and Billy Cobham don't belong in the same sentence...

I may check this site out

Yes exactly - Mike Johnson and Billy Cobham don't belong in the same sentence...

I may check this site out

And Mr. Lang's drumming is also absolutely incredible. There on YouTube you will find a one hour twenty minutes solo he played during one of his clinics. Take a look and you won't believe neither your eyes nor your ears.

And Mr. Lang's drumming is also absolutely incredible. There on YouTube you will find a one hour twenty minutes solo he played during one of his clinics. Take a look and you won't believe neither your eyes nor your ears.

No disrespect TL but I'm not a big fan of his playing...I do however respect his level of mastery on the kit. I wouldn't mind some insight on independence or some of his practice routine tips

I don't agree on many levels but I wish you success.

I've met Lang and he's a very approachable and amenable. But, whilst I think he is superhuman in-terms of what he can do on the kit, a lot of it seems like extreme exercises rather than groove drumming, which is what I want to do. Also being a great drummer does not automatically mean you will be a great tutor. I'm sure they are, I'm just making this point.

Lang and Cobham are much in demand as players and clinicians. There will be a massive challenge on their time if you have 100 students. If you have a 1000 students then this will become impossible for them to give any feedback.

I further note that if the lessons are at the students convenience, this means they are recorded and not live. Please do correct me, but I cannot interpret your note any other way.

Mike Johnson (and other on-line tutors), counterwise are dedicated tutors and have been for many years and so their level of personal service will be different.

Finally, advertising within a forum is slightly bad form.

Peace
Davo

Beyond having a link to the service in the signature and describing the service offered I wouldn't say they were advertising. Someone else created the thread (unless they are an advert troll) and ADWA merely replied (much as KIS, DrPedal and others do).

I further note that if the lessons are at the students convenience, this means they are recorded and not live. Please do correct me, but I cannot interpret your note any other way.

The lessons are not live, which is more convenient because it's done on both the student and teacher's own time. You can practice it as many times as you need before submitting a video, and then watch your teacher's response videos as many times as needed so you can really implement their advice. This is an extremely effective and efficient way to study with such a top tier musician, and the uniqueness of what we do makes it easily manageable for the teachers.

Since 2009 we've successfully launched 12 other online schools (see here), and many of our teachers have a demanding touring/recording schedule. The technology we provide our artists with enables them to record video responses wherever they are, even from their hotel rooms or greenrooms. Each one of our artists have undergone an intensive vetting process, and they all are passionate about teaching and providing the best possible learning experience for their students... otherwise we would not be working with them.

Last edited:
I'm trying to figure out roughly how much personal time one can expect from Mr. Cobham or Mr. Lang, given that they cannot be making more than $5.00-7.50 per week, per student.

Since I do not know them personally, I cannot really answer your question, I'm afraid.

But I've been doing something similar with both my (Skype) teachers: I upload videos (good image and sound quality, as well as good angle on my hands and/or feet), they watch them in their own time, and we then have a live one-on-one to look at some of my issues.

I have suggested to both of them that I'd be more than happy if they also wanted to do video replies. They prefer the one-on-one. Fine with me.

Having attended workshops with some big name drummers, I know that those who are also good teachers have fantastic eyes. Oftentimes they watch you for a couple of minutes, and then are able to give you exercises that might well keep you busy for months, if not years.

IMHO, both Mr. Cobham and Mr. Lang, are true professionals, and I'm sure they put enough time and energy into this venture to make it worth the student's while (and money). They have a reputation to lose, after all; I mean, if people did start feeling cheated by the Drum Academy - I'm sure that'd spread like wildfire around sites such as this one.

Patrice

IMHO, both Mr. Cobham and Mr. Lang, are true professionals, and I'm sure they put enough time and energy into this venture to make it worth the student's while (and money). They have a reputation to lose, after all; I mean, if people did start feeling cheated by the Drum Academy - I'm sure that'd spread like wildfire around sites such as this one.

They are true professionals, so realistically students should not expect that they will be giving away a lot of their time for next to no money.

Thomas address the issue of time management in this interview from Live2Play.

The lessons are completely self-paced so you will get out of it as much as you put in. As with all our schools many of our students do not submit videos, they instead prefer to learn from the curriculum lessons and from watching the other students' Video Exchanges. Like Patrice said, the personal instruction you get from your teacher will keep you busy a while, so there's plenty to work on in between video submissions. But just like in any classroom, the students in the front row taking notes and asking questions will get more attention from the teacher than the silent observers in the back.

They are true professionals, so realistically students should not expect that they will be giving away a lot of their time for next to no money.

Sorry. I only just saw your post now.

What makes you think they get "next to no money" for the lessons?

I'm quite sure that both of them would also not participate if they felt
they did not get paid enough.

From doing masterclasses and workshops with some big names, I
know that they get a kick out of teaching, and that many of them fe-
el they can even learn stuff from guys who have only just started
out on the drums. No kidding!

Patrice

Hi,

So after I was finally in a position to start with this school I went to the artist works site and I found this:
http://artistworks.com/rock-drum-lessons-thomas-lang

"
School Closure

New subscriptions to ArtistWorks’ Thomas Lang School of Drums are no longer being accepted.

ArtistWorks’ Thomas Lang School of Drums will close effective July 31, 2013. The site will remain open for current subscribers until that date, and existing subscriptions will be fully honored during this period, but will not be renewable after July 31, 2013. Subscriber refunds will be issued for any prepaid period that extends beyond July 31, 2013.

Existing subscribers with time remaining on their memberships may click “Member Login” (above right) to enter the school.
"

I would have loved to learn with this guy.

They leave NO REASON as to why the school is closed and I could not find any informaiton on the Internet, not from Thomas Lang's part or from the Artistworks people.

Anybody has any idea as to what happened and why is the school now closed?
It does not seem to be related to the limit of students but more like a permanent closure.

That doesn't leave me in a very trustful position to start with Billy Cobhan either. I don't know if that one will be closed too.

Back