My 14 Piece Mapex Saturn in Arctic White

First time I saw this. Christ that is an achievement. You know when you see a new car on the market like an Audi R8, and you say "I am gonna get one of those", I do to, but I have to wait 15 years until a worn out used one comes on the market, lol.

Awesome pictures too. That is worth a bike ride out to visit lol. I just did a track day at Calabogie on Friday, but it didn't excite me enough to plate the bike.
Thanks man. :) My son is loving having his bike licence now. Can you say "Freedom 16".

Such a killer kit. I've been jonesing for a new kit for a while, and my most likely purchase is a Mapex Saturn in arctic white with black nickel hardware. Not inspired by yours, but looking at these pics definitely isn't putting me off the idea either :)

I won't be matching you for size though. I'm lost behind anything larger than a 5-piece, so I'll be going for the Studioease setup (10, 12, 14, 16, 22) so that I can flip between 2-up, 1-down and 1-up, 2-down whenever I feel like it.

So yeah, thanks for the inspiration, mate :)

Well many think the Arctic White with black hardware is boring. Good thing I didn't ask for opinions. This thing is beautiful in person, and you can see it from the back row at any concert. Plus they don't show dust like my new ones do. :) You will love them I am sure. If you have any questions about them just ask.

I agree, mate.

If they offered a white sparkle, I'd probably go for that, but they don't (not a fan of the silvery sparkles). The thing about white/silver is that when you're on stage, it takes on the color of the light that shines on it, and like you say it's also visible from anywhere in the room. A black kit looks cool and all, but it definitely doesn't have the same stage appearance and visual impact :)

No specific questions really. I owned a Mapex M kit a few years ago, which was a very nice kit (considering it's midrange). Good hardware, and I like the look and functionality of the tom mounts and lugs.

I agree, mate.

If they offered a white sparkle, I'd probably go for that, but they don't (not a fan of the silvery sparkles). The thing about white/silver is that when you're on stage, it takes on the color of the light that shines on it, and like you say it's also visible from anywhere in the room. A black kit looks cool and all, but it definitely doesn't have the same stage appearance and visual impact :)
I never really liked sparkle until I saw my latest kit in person. This thing would be great under the stage lights.

this is kind of silly. what do you need all that for? seems goofy to me. (but hey, i'm a hipster so thats just like, my opinion)

anyway do you have a recording and mixing setup for that beast?

** also i see you're from canada. I live in Barrie ontario, and go to school at mohawk college in hamilton.

this is kind of silly. what do you need all that for? seems goofy to me. (but hey, i'm a hipster so thats just like, my opinion)

** also i see you're from canada. I live in Barrie ontario, and go to school at mohawk college in hamilton.
What's a hipster. Someone that just blurts things out without thinking first. Yes I am all set up for mixing, and firewire recording.

He needs it because he wants it. Simple as that.

This is a beautiful set and I wish I could play it. Lots of possibilities.

The rocks are from all around the property that I have collected. Last summer I spent a couple of hours making the pile flat enough so that I could build a platform out of 2 x 4's and plywood, to place my drums on for the pictures. Some guys will do anything for the perfect shot. I figured this kit was worth it. :)

The rocks are from all around the property that I have collected. Last summer I spent a couple of hours making the pile flat enough so that I could build a platform out of 2 x 4's and plywood, to place my drums on for the pictures. Some guys will do anything for the perfect shot. I figured this kit was worth it. :)

It certainly has worth it, and there's a few fan of this rock drum riser within the members, including myself. ;-))

So tell us honestly: Which was harder to set up, the riser or the kit?

So tell us honestly: Which was harder to set up, the riser or the kit?
Well I have been piling the rocks in that one spot since we moved here 8 years ago. The back five acres of the ten in total was an old hay field. I decided to start cutting it with my tractor to make it into a golf course, dirt bike track. In order to cut the field I had to pull out hundreds of rocks. There were other small rough areas on the property that contributed to the rock pile. Last summer I decided the pile would make a great photo opp. I wanted to build a simple 2 x 4 and plywood platform to set the drums up on. The drums take up an 8 x 8 foot print. I used blocks as my footing. In order to get the blocks all at the same height, and below camera shot I had to try and level out the rocks as flat as I could. This process took a couple of hours. Then I built the platform on top of the level blocks. I then had to arrange the rocks so that the wood platform was not showing anywhere around the perimeter. I had all the drums apart on top of the snowmobile tractor. I made a gang plank going from the back of the trailer to the top of the rock pile, to carry the drums on. The actual setting up of the drums goes fairly quickly because everything on the rack has a memory lock on it. Once the rack is assembled, everything else just plunks into its place. The final step was to collect some leaves and cover the wood platform with them.

So I guess to answer you question, the riser took years to build, and the drums from basement to top of riser took a couple of hours.

Then after the rock riser shot, I asked my poor wife to help me set up the monster and the Roland kit on the front porch for the overhead, Neil Peart shot. That took a couple of more hours. The things I do to get attention. :)

Last edited:
Do you have a Saturn snare to go with your kit? If so; what are your thoughts on it?
I have three Saturn snares, and one on order.

14 x 5.5 maple/walnut in Arctic White
13 x 6 maple/walnut in Arctic White
14 x 5.5 birch/walnut in Seinna Fade Burl
14 x 5.5 birch/walnut in Yellow Orcher sparkle(on order)

When I first got the kit I used the two white snares on the monster and loved them. Like the rest of the kit the Walnut gave them that fat sound that I like so much about the Saturn's.
I then developed the need for more snares disease from joining drum sites. So now I feel I need to use them all to justify the money spent. I have been using the stock birch snare on the burl kit, and it sounds great. It is a little more focused than the maple ones being a little thicker, and having the birch, but still has the walnut sound characteristics.

The Saturn snares tune up easily, and are easy to set up for a good sound. I like them much better than my new Black Panther Blaster snare I picked up last year which is maple with walnut reinforcing rings. It is just too bright and out there for me.

Back