manicmonkey21421

Hi all,

I recently moved into a rented house and cannot take my beloved kit with me due to the noise restrictions on my tenancy. I am looking to build my own drum isolation/absorption booth, much like the clear sonic ones, but for not quite as much. Ideally I would not like to spend more than £500 on materials although this is probably a unrealistic number.

I have been looking at different materials and was wondering if anybody had any recommendations in regards to this or any advise on shapes and or suppliers? I have looked at using acrylic sheet but am leaning towards using twin wall polycarbonate sheet due to the air gap in between. For an octagon with 8 sheets of 2m by 1m it works out at around £35.52p a sheet.

Thanks in advance for any help

Regards

Chris

Pretty good for ensuring your cymbals don't bleed into other stage mics etc. Next to useless as a "sound proofing" venture. Your neighbours are still gonna hear you loud and clear. Unfortunately, true sound proofing qualities are expensive and require a process much more involved that just using some polycarbonate sheeting to create a booth......it doesn't address the all important vibrations through the floor.

Do a search here. Some detailed threads of methods used to sound proof can be found......as stated, unfortunately all quite involved.

+1 to what PFG said. It's time to either start building that expensive sound proof room or go for an E-kit (in my case I had to do both)!

+1 to what PFG said. It's time to either start building that expensive sound proof room or go for an E-kit (in my case I had to do both)!

+2 on what PFG said, polycarbonate, plexi and the like will not nothing to solve your issue. You need mass and air to control sound, which is going to require much more than sheets of acrylic. Do a search here on soundproofing, should give you a few days worth of reading.

If you have a separate room then sound proof it with Clothe covered holed wood or you can build a glass booth for a cheap price.

Not sure if this is a serious reply or not, regardless none of that will work for the OP"s issue!

Not sure if this is a serious reply or not, regardless none of that will work for the OP"s issue!

If the eyes are the windows to the soul, then the sig. is the window to the spammer.

A spammer that knows nothing about sound proofing, mind you......but a spammer nonetheless.

You need this device.
http://youtu.be/HWtPPWi6OMQ

Seriously, Drums are loud. well over 100 decibals. They will vibrate an entire building with their low frequency sounds.
They can't be silenced without the use of expensive materials and tedious construction techniques.

If the eyes are the windows to the soul, then the sig. is the window to the spammer.

A spammer that knows nothing about sound proofing, mind you......but a spammer nonetheless.

I was typing spammer in my initial response but thought...eh give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

I'm sure other engineers have thought through it. But man, if I could come up with a kit someone could assemble in their room that provided enough isolation to play an acoustic drumset, I would be a rich man.

Let's see, list of impossibly contradictory attributes:
Enough mass to isolate 110-120 dB sound down to 40 Hz or so, plus single transient impacts from stands and kick pedals, while being light enough that a multi-story apartment building floor can support it. Cheap enough to compete with carpet, holey wood, egg cartons and other conventional wisdom solutions while offering 60+ dB better performance. A door that provides perfect sealing and better isolation than expensive pro-studio doors, even when a drummer puts it together.

Nah, not going to happen.

This is David Spade though. Also, buying from salwar kameez online UK is really difficult. No way David Spade would spam.

Get an e-kit and you won't be sorry. I've got a Yamaha DTX-550 that does the job nicely (although, it's still not like pounding on the a-kit, which I have to do frequently).

We have current products that will help any drummer/band...
and in the process of putting together several "musician packages" that will benefit many!
Contact us if you wish to learn more!

America's Total Noise Control Company - www.ies2000.com

IES 2000 is a nation wide organization with the capabilities of solving all of your Noise Control Problems. Our years of experience in sound abatement, applications engineering, and thorough knowledge of nationally recognized product lines allows us to select the ideal products to provide a customized noise control solution for you. IES 2000 is a nationwide organization with over 20 years experience in supplying products for the "do-it-yourself" job to acoustical engineering as well as complex turn-key projects.

Back