I'm a snare addict!

Dirtysticks

A little while back I was down to five snare... now I'm back up to 12!

1. DW Collectors 7x12 Edge (New Addition)
2. DW Collectors 30th Anniversary R30 Starman 6x14 Edge (New Addition)
3. DW Collectors Acoustic EQ 6x14 (New Addition)
4. DW Jazz Series 5x14 (New Addition)
5. Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute 5.5x14 (New Addition)
6. Rogers Dynasonic 5x14 (New Addition)
7. Tama Master Craft Chrome over Seamless Heavy Gauge Steel 5x14 (New Addition)
8. Tama King Beat Chrome over Seamless Heavy Gauge Steel 6.5x14
9. Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x13
10. World Max Phosphor Bronze 6.5x14
11. Premier Signia Seamless Brass 7x14
12. Pearl Marvin "Smitty" Smith Copper 4x14

Some pics! (Shot Quickly with the camera on my phone) All are here, but the Dynasonic, The Premier, and the Smitty... they were at the bottom in hard cases and I was too lazy to get them out. :rolleyes:

I'm definitely a snare addict, but I've also recently become a cymbal addict. Difference is I then get afraid of cracking them so I use them sparingly and put the really nice ones right back in the pouch.

Interesting that the OP doesn't own a Supra 400; 402 or Acrolite, three of the most recommended and recorded snare drums.

Does anyone else but me not count the snares that come with the kits we own? I have 5 snares I bought and 3 that came with kits but I don't count those for some reason.

Wow with all those snares do you all have a favorite-or is it more like a mood ring and it changes. LOL.

Does anyone else but me not count the snares that come with the kits we own? I have 5 snares I bought and 3 that came with kits but I don't count those for some reason.

They're snare drums - I count them. The difference for me is that they probably won't be for sale separately.

Nice collection! I have the same affliction... I think I'm up to 7 or 8...

It's so hard to stop! lol

Is there a cure? I've lost count - over 30 for sure!

I haven't come across a cure yet!

I'm definitely a snare addict, but I've also recently become a cymbal addict. Difference is I then get afraid of cracking them so I use them sparingly and put the really nice ones right back in the pouch.

I'm picking that bug up too! There are a lot of Paiste cymbals in my radar!

Interesting that the OP doesn't own a Supra 400; 402 or Acrolite, three of the most recommended and recorded snare drums.

I used to have an Acro and a Pearl Sensitone Aluminum, and I wasn't so moved by the aluminum to keep them... they sounded really good to, but I ultimately sold them to bring in gear that really got my juices flowing.

Great stuff!
Let me know if you ever decide to sell that World Max Bronze :)

I have a lot of people who are after me for that World Max! lol

Any one of those stand out as a favorite?

The World Max, The Acoustic EQ, The Tama Mastercraft are really stuck in my head right now, but they all sound outstanding and get time on the stand.

I don't have any that came with a kit.

Wow with all those snares do you all have a favorite-or is it more like a mood ring and it changes. LOL.

It changes and I use a different one almost everytime a play, but some seem to find their way to the stand pretty often.

I've been diagnosed with Zildjianitis! The good news is it's not fatal. The bad news is it's I incurable and expensive to medicate.

I know...I should get a Zildjian snare! See!

So, It's happened again. I just changed a hose in the engine of my car and I wanted to drive to test it out, so I went to Guitar Center with my kids to pass some time. I walked by the snare wall and i tapped a few snares. I decided to mess around with a Pork Pie cherry/bubinga 7x14 snares since I have a thing for metal shelled snares and wanted to venture out a little. This drum has a unique character for a wood shell due to the 4 plies of cherry and 3 inner plies of bubinga. It has a nice body, and a great crack with a good amount of warmth and moderate ring. I loved it! I wasn't planning on spending any money but when I looked at the price, it was clearanced to $150, down from $299 so I put it on layaway. For some reason, it takes a really nice sound from an all wooden snare to make it into my lineup. This drum will make only my fourth all wood drum in a 13 snare lineup.

Why does this seem anal? Are we supposed to adhere to some made up in your mind code of snare buying conduct?

Where in my post did I use the term "anal" ? I was simply stating that I was interested that they did not own a a Supra or an Acrolite.

Last edited:
So, It's happened again. I just changed a hose in the engine of my car and I wanted to drive to test it out, so I went to Guitar Center with my kids to pass some time. I walked by the snare wall and i tapped a few snares. I decided to mess around with a Pork Pie cherry/bubinga 7x14 snares since I have a thing for metal shelled snares and wanted to venture out a little. This drum has a unique character for a wood shell due to the 4 plies of cherry and 3 inner plies of bubinga. It has a nice body, and a great crack with a good amount of warmth and moderate ring. I loved it! I wasn't planning on spending any money but when I looked at the price, it was clearanced to $150, down from $299 so I put it on layaway. For some reason, it takes a really nice sound from an all wooden snare to make it into my lineup. This drum will make only my fourth all wood drum in a 13 snare lineup.

I got this exact model a few weeks ago when the price was marked down from $299 to $229. You got a great deal for $150. I demoed a few snare drums at Guitar Center and I kept coming back to this one. I agree about the unique sound but I can see it working for a number of genres. I play classic rock and surf styles but I think it would work for jazz and funk as well.

I'm kind of the opposite of you. I have four snare drums and only one is metal. (Chad Smith)

I got this exact model a few weeks ago when the price was marked down from $299 to $229. You got a great deal for $150. I demoed a few snare drums at Guitar Center and I kept coming back to this one. I agree about the unique sound but I can see it working for a number of genres. I play classic rock and surf styles but I think it would work for jazz and funk as well.

I'm kind of the opposite of you. I have four snare drums and only one is metal. (Chad Smith)

At that price, I couldn't pass it up especially considering how nice it sounded. It has it's own sound that I like for wood snares. I'm tempted to go back and get the beech one to because that one was also discounted and sounds great! The beech drum was more "in your face" with a great snap and projection. Bill at Pork Pie makes some nice drums.

Welcome to the club! I have a few more not pictured here either. A lot of my snares are from the 60's. More or less all my snares except my Sonor snares are from the 60's. I do have a black panther also that I dig.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Welcome to the club! I have a few more not pictured here either. A lot of my snares are from the 60's. More or less all my snares except my Sonor snares are from the 60's. I do have a black panther also that I dig.

%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

Beautiful collection! I love the Gretsch on the bottom and the Greb!

Back