Beginner and older...

Thu

Just today bought a new Roland TD11K kit from my local music store and am ready to get started playing for the first time. I am starting out late with this as I'm 42 - I'm hoping that my ability to learn the skills necessary is not affected . I plan to start out with some of the YouTube beginners lessons and take it from there. Only previous music experience is strumming six string but never went past basic. I have always been drawn to percussion so I figured its time to try.

Any others on here that are middle aged picked up drumming for the first time?

I'm 6 years older than you, and I've been playing for just over a year, youngster.

You'll get more enjoyment and progress faster if you sign up for lessons, and make sure your lessons include reading music.

Stand by while several others chime in with similar advice.

Oh, and most important, welcome!

40 here, been drumming for 3.5 years now. Wished I'd started earlier than that but most important of all - I started in the first place. Fun that I wouldn't want to miss by now.
(Coming from the el. guitar which I've been neglecting a lot since focusing on drums.)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 42 the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything?

Oh come on. If James can do it, you can.

47 and been drumming for 18 months - love it, get a teacher and enjoy the journey... find tracks you already love and work out the drum part (playing along to stuff you already love will motivate when you get to the first 'hurdle').

Keep your grip loose, don't be afraid to hit hard, experiment with stroke, pattern and stuff and Just Have Fun(tm)

:)

I started when I was 35 (3-4 yrs ago). I'm not sure I'm improving at the same rate I would have when I was 14, but I still enjoy it, and that's really all that matters at this point (its not like I'm going switch careers and become a pro musician).

Yea, take some lessons. I was resistant to that at first, but it was a mistake.

I'm 49 (damn near 50) and started about 2 years ago. Also with no prior music experience. Certainly I agree with the advice about getting a teacher. Sometimes it's frustrating to see youngsters progressing so much faster (my 6-year-old son, for example), but my expectations are modest. Mostly, I enjoy the learning process.

ha...children! I just turned 54. I have played previously, but not for along time then. I'm back at it again and having fun. My oldest son and oldest grandson are my teachers (when I ask for help) I will give a second vote to getting a teacher and learning to read music.
Welcome to the forum, there are a lot of great players here, both on the forum and on video, always ask questions and most will chime in to help.

Craig

As the others have written get a good teacher, it makes all the difference. Also, I find being more of an older fart when starting drums actually makes you approach the instrument in a more mature way. You don't want to be the latest Travis Barker or who ever, but just want to enjoy and become at least competent. Enjoy the trip.

Nice to hear from the other elderly people...btw - I know I'm not really that old at 42.

I got started last night and I am already feeling good about the decision. I love the fact that I can do this with headphones because I can practice when its convenient for me and not worry about waking the family etc...

Watched a few YouTube beginners videos and I am able to coordinate the hh and snare in - 1/8th note count?. Working on adding base to it this week. This is fun, haven't been this excited about something for myself in a long time...

That's really good to hear!

This is a great forum because anybody and everybody is welcome. We mere mortals have as legitimate a place as the breathtakingly brilliant drummers. Lack of experience is no bar, and there's no shortage of people who will do their best to help if you have a question that you can't find the answer to when you used the Search function.

Probably most of us here (who post, at least) fall into the old fart category anyway, but I find the Young Folk mature, intelligent and generous. I love it here, and I hope you will too.

That's really good to hear!

This is a great forum because anybody and everybody is welcome. We mere mortals have as legitimate a place as the breathtakingly brilliant drummers. Lack of experience is no bar, and there's no shortage of people who will do their best to help if you have a question that you can't find the answer to when you used the Search function.

Probably most of us here (who post, at least) fall into the old fart category anyway, but I find the Young Folk mature, intelligent and generous. I love it here, and I hope you will too.

Wonderfully said.....

At 65 I wish I was 42! I started drumming very young but began guitar around 30 and now play it in groups while I keep the drumming going too. The main thing is to try and play the music you love and have fun! One key to getting better is to practice things very slowly and then speed them up as you can. If you can't play it slow, you can't play it fast on any instrument. A teacher to learn a couple things so you don't learn things you have to unlearn
later is good if you have time etc. There are things in drumming called "rudiments",. They are
like scales to a guitar etc. It is good for all drummers to be able to play a long roll. You learn this by starting with each hand slowly back and forth and then speed up. Look for online instruction. There are single stroke long rolls and also long rolls where each stick hits twice....LLRRLLRR etc. (some of the greats play 3 and 4 bounces with each hand).
You found the right place. Lots of great info here for all levels.

If you want to learn to read drum music, since you have an e-kit, I suggest Roland's DT-1 drum tutor software. It's good for beginners.

Good stuff groove1 thanks. I ordered the DT-1 software today. It was hard to find in stock in the U.S. but I finally found it and ordered from a place in Texas. I also ordered the book 'stick control' and it will be here tomorrow. Practicing.. I've pretty much jumped in with both feet and don't have any second thoughts about it at this point.

I teach drums, guitar, bass and improv/acting classes to many middle-aged folks. Never too late. Actually, your life experience will enhance your ability to learn and practice will be its own reward.

Good luck!

Peace,

MT

Good stuff groove1 thanks. I ordered the DT-1 software today. It was hard to find in stock in the U.S. but I finally found it and ordered from a place in Texas. I also ordered the book 'stick control' and it will be here tomorrow. Practicing.. I've pretty much jumped in with both feet and don't have any second thoughts about it at this point.

After playing for a good many years and finally now (at 34) picking up "stick control", Ted Reed's "syncopation" and "Understanding rhythm a guide to reading music", Lauren. I can honestly say I wish I had found these books and learnt to read when I first started.

I've also just ordered Tommy Igoes DVD, great hands for a lifetime, which many people on here recommended.

So you are definately on the right path.

I truly believe age isn't a barrier to being a musician. There are many many examples of players who are advancing into their 70s/80s. Playing an instrument is a surfire way to stay young and healthy I reckon.

You will hear sentences like "Yeah but its too late for you to turn pro". But then what is pro? There are a number of threads on this forum describing how a wide range of professional drummers earn their living. My eyes have certainly been opened. Many have day jobs, many also teach, etc etc.

In my opinion the only barriers to your drumming career are those you set yourself. Throw yourself in explore any opportunities you fancy and make of it what you will. I can assure you, you will love it!

46 year old new drummer here. I picked up the sticks and bought a kit at the end of August 2013. I wish I had started out as a youngster of 42 :)

Good luck!

MM

I teach drums, guitar, bass and improv/acting classes to many middle-aged folks. Never too late. Actually, your life experience will enhance your ability to learn and practice will be its own reward.

Good luck!

Peace,

MT

Wow MT, talk about a quadruple threat. Impressive. I bet you're a good cook too. :)

I like your outlook on life ..

ps I too started in middle age and get so much pleasure from drumming. Not to mention my vintage drum obsession.

Back