How Does Your Bass Drum Sit?

Simple, it looks weird if the front is level with, or lower than the rear. :)
I also like to have a slight bit of tilt toward the beater. I feel that the drum plays better that way.
I make sure to always avoid putting stress on the hoop where the pedal clamps onto it.
If you are using a newer model dw pedal that is a non issue because of the floating clamp design.

I used the, "level" app on my iPhone to measure tilt. All 4 of my bass drums on the kits that readily had set up were about 1.2 to 1.4 degrees tilted higher in the front.
I was surprised at how consistent they are because I always just set them by eye.
I was never taught to set the front slightly higher, it was just something that I have always done. I have a mechanical mind and I often trust my instincts when making such judgements even though there is no exact science to me reasoning. I think that my inner zen is thus; When the beater strikes the bass drum it will be deflected down slightly because the beater is set a few inches higher than center on the head.
Thanks Bob :)

I have my kick parallell to the ground. It's not actually resting on the front hoop though; I'm guessing the hoop is 5-10 mm off the ground (I guess that's about 1/4 inch in those silly medieval measurements)

*audible sigh*
Expected :)

I'm of a generation that fully worked/lived with both metric & imperial measurements, so I'm used to it. On top of that, in my other life, I've worked extensively in all manner of measurements around the world, so I'm used to the local peculiarities/variations too. Just because a measure has the same designation, doesn't mean it's the same value (e.g. gallons). The UK is still a mix of metric & imperial for general public exposure (mainly motoring related), but in all other aspects, it's metric.

So, I have my bass drum level & approximately 1 digit above the floor ;) (that's just under 20mm, or for the horsey types amongst you, 0.196 hands)

The height of the front is the same as the back, the thickness of the bass drum pedal base. If the drum is level then the pedal clamp won't put stress on the hoop and choke out the tone. Check out one of Bob Gatzens' bass drum videos, I forget which one.

*audible sigh*

Expected :)

I'm of a generation that fully worked/lived with both metric & imperial measurements, so I'm used to it. On top of that, in my other life, I've worked extensively in all manner of measurements around the world, so I'm used to the local peculiarities/variations too. Just because a measure has the same designation, doesn't mean it's the same value (e.g. gallons). The UK is still a mix of metric & imperial for general public exposure (mainly motoring related), but in all other aspects, it's metric.

So, I have my bass drum level & approximately 1 digit above the floor ;) (that's just under 20mm, or for the horsey types amongst you, 0.196 hands)

Hahaha!

I have mine about an inch or so up in the front. With the pedal attached it's still at a slight angle upward from the back.
I like how it sounds, and how the pedal feels that way.
No hoop problems in 30+ years, so I think I'm good.

I also tweak the tuning with the pedal on it, so any adjustments to combat any issues (warping hoops, heads, etc..) muking up my perfect sound are dealt with :)

The base castings of some bass pedals I've seen have a slight upwards form to them. So to keep the hoop straight, you may need to lift the front slightly. Others seem to have a downward or tapered clamp. Those you may as well keep things straight.

In any event, the bass pedal base will lift the drum slightly so the front won't be on the ground and the shell will be off the floor. Once it's not touching anything any additional lifting does not lessen damping or change the resonance of the shell. And has been said, twisting things will have an adverse effect.

My 20x18 D'Amico with very thin maple shells, minimal hardware, Powerstroke heads with an Evans pillow inside not touching either head gives me a great combination of attack and tone. Tuning it low means that anything affecting the resonance takes away from the sustain and the tone heard in the room. The front hoop is around 1/2" off the floor. Enough.

I use my spurs to lift the bass drum off the ground and angle it slightly into the air. Means I the beater hits at just the right angle and I get as much resonance as possible. It's probably minimal but, I've convinced myself it enhances it a lot...

I use a 20x18" bass drum but, I also have a 22" bass drum propped infront of it and used as a woofer. It adds so much low end and a bit extra sustain to the kick that really helps when everyone is playing. Love it!

I try to lift the front hoop off the ground, mostly to protect the finish. I try to keep the drum level, but I don't get all OCD with it. It's probably the only thing I'm not OCD about.

There are beaters that are curved or tilted and compensate for the distance from the clamp to the head. The DW beater is curved on the felt side and rounded on the plastic side. I use a Puresound beater which has the face angled back just right to strike squarely on the batter head for most drums. Most pedals are adjustable enough that you can get the footbed in the right position and the right cam/tension at the point of impact as well.

Back