Yamaha Drums

Yeah, you're right. I have plenty for sure - I just want a full sized kit Yamaha in Cherrywood. (I have two RM Hipgig kits in Cherrywood)

Or in Embossed Green. Are there any Embossed Green Yamaha kits out there for sale?
Actually wait, no - I can't afford another kit right now :(
Seriously though - if anyone knows of an Embossed Green or Embossed Silver kit for sale, please let me know !!

Neal

No doubt those embossed finishes are awesome. We might get into a bidding war over one of those! Why (dare I ask) do you have 2 hipgigs in the same finish?

I think we all need some serious psychiatric help :)

No doubt those embossed finishes are awesome. We might get into a bidding war over one of those! Why (dare I ask) do you have 2 hipgigs in the same finish?

I think we all need some serious psychiatric help :)

Ha!
I have two hipgigs in the same finish because : I bought what I'm pretty sure was the last Rick Morotta Hipgig in Cherry Wood off the line in Japan back in 2012. I love them. They are mint mint mint condition. I like to gig with these...but want to keep that special set in pristine condition.

Then, a year later - another RM Hipgig in Cherrywood came up for sale locally for a very very good price, so I nabbed those. This is the kit I tricked out with aluminum die cast hoops and am currently using as my almost famous "two bag drum set" (click here for that thread). Therefore, it won't be the end of the world if these get a few dings. I might even wrap these in either White Marine Pearl or maybe Green Sparkle.
I would pay one million dollars for a set of Embossed Green Hipgigs. Well, maybe. :)

Actually, I was thinking, if Yamaha would make me a set of Phoenix drums in Embossed Green, I would spend the money on those. I probably need to be an endorser to get custom finishes :(

Neal

Last edited:
Ha!
I have two hipgigs in the same finish because : I bought what I'm pretty sure was the last Rick Morotta Hipgig in Cherry Wood off the line in Japan back in 2012. I love them. They are mint mint mint condition. I like to gig with these...but want to keep that special set in pristine condition.

Then, a year later - another RM Hipgig in Cherrywood came up for sale locally for a very very good price, so I nabbed those. This is the kit I tricked out with aluminum die cast hoops and am currently using as my almost famous "two bag drum set" (click here for that thread). Therefore, it won't be the end of the world if these get a few dings. I might even wrap these in either White Marine Pearl or maybe Green Sparkle.
I would pay one million dollars for a set of Embossed Green Hipgigs. Well, maybe. :)

Actually, I was thinking, if Yamaha would make me a set of Phoenix drums in Embossed Green, I would spend the money on those. I probably need to be an endorser to get custom finishes :(

Neal

Neal,

Oh, ok. That makes sense. I wouldn't wrap unless you are doing it to protect the finish. If that's the case, you might want to use something like Bum Wraps, so you can easily remove them someday.

I once saw a Beech Custom Absolute in Embossed Green on eBay. I don't know if it was a one-off, or if Yamaha offered those in all the same finishes as the BCA and MCA. They sat there for sale for a while. I've often thought I should have bought those.

I thought anyone could order a custom finish for a Phx kit, but I could be wrong.

Bruce

BGH; said:
I thought anyone could order a custom finish for a Phx kit, but I could be wrong.

Bruce

Yes .... Pretty sure if you contacted Yamaha directly, they would do that finish for the PHX...certainly worth an ask.....

If you look at this other thread, you'll see a bunch of pics of Phoenix kits in colors that Yamaha doesn't offer. They appear to be custom: Solid Black, Garnet, Turquoise, Sapphire, etc. If they aren't custom, how did they get produced such as they are?

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52890&highlight=yamaha+phoenix

I think you have to be a top-tier endorser to get one of those custom finishes, or Memphis Drum Shop , who probably sell more PHX kits than anybody, or they are in the top three retailers at least.

Well I've certainly seen custom finishes on yamaha drum lines....I've seen RC's in Apple sparkle finish, Memphis drum shop currently has a PHX in a non-standard finish (i.e., custom), PHX recently in piano black, again a non-standard finish...so I think you may be wrong....

Are you referring to my former Yamaha Recording Custom in Apple Sparkle fade ? I had purchased this from a Yamaha Endorser. It had clear interiors and aluminum diecast hoops.
It was a nice kit, but to be honest I much prefer the sound of my current Yamaha Swirl Black Club Customs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 984
All colours you mention are available as special order and are not custom. I have a solid black kit.

Not that I'm ordering one, but does Yamaha actually have a selection of optional finishes one can order, besides the 4 or 5 fade finishes they started with? So, for example, someone wanted to order the Turquoise over Ash (or whatever that finish is) or your Solid Black, is there an actual list of optional finishes one can choose from?

All colours you mention are available as special order and are not custom. I have a solid black kit.

But they're not listed on their website. If it's not one of Yamaha's standard colours would it not be considered custom? If seen PHX's in Garnett, Sapphire and Turquoise (none of these are fades).

I don't see solid black listed? Only Matte black.

Just to clear things.

The PHX is a special kit build to order and the only kit Yamaha still produces in japan . You can choose your color if you want to.

I haven't heard what the limitations are for this (if any)

In the PHX thread I listed the custom (bot shops, customers and artists) finishes I could find/made so far.

It something they just started to offer recently offer.

Okay guys...easy.
I am going to inquire directly with Yamaha about doing an Embossed Green PHX kit in 12/14/20. Will see what they say. Won't know likely till next week - or maybe I'll wait a couple of weeks - when Dave Weckl will be doing a clinic here and the Yamaha Canada rep will be here as well. He will definitively know. I will report my findings.

Neal

Would be cool to have a Yamaha custom job topic.

Teddy Campbell's Embossed Silver/Nouveau Lugged Oak.
BoatRack1.jpg

Russ Miller's Black Nickeled PHX with matching Sub-Kick, Gong Drum, Daxdad and 16'' Aux. Kick.
537599_293017387452406_535808925_n.jpg

376391_169799386486758_225052896_n.jpg

1045_361466897274121_1287906213_n.jpg

Danish/swedish guy's Lime Green Sparkle with matching Sub-Kick.
346619944.jpg

Are you referring to my former Yamaha Recording Custom in Apple Sparkle fade ? I had purchased this from a Yamaha Endorser. It had clear interiors and aluminum diecast hoops.
It was a nice kit, but to be honest I much prefer the sound of my current Yamaha Swirl Black Club Customs.

Have to make a point of agreeing very much with you here, Rick.
I also own black swirl Club Customs (8/12/12/14/16/22) and Recording Customs (10/12/14/20) too. The RC's are great but the CC's are among the best sounding Yamaha kits I own. I wouldn't say l like them more than MCA's or BCA's, but definitely as much.

My findings about Club Customs:

- They are more controlled than the MCA's (not as boomy as MCA's can be in certain rooms)
- To be cliche - yup, modern vintage.
- Dare I say, they sound a bit like Gretsch.
- Lots of head/shell contact....the Kapur shells = lots and lots of shell tone.
- They don't project like Oak Customs
- They like Coated Remo Ambassadors, top and bottom very much
- The Swirl finishes are cool as hell and unique. The matte wood finishes are very nice too.
- Clearly, people don't know how great these Club Customs are - otherwise, all the new/old stock would SELL like it hasn't been on eBay and in stores. They are every bit as discontinued as all the other MIJ Yamahas.

Neal

Back