Rescued !!!

Man those are nice ... congrats on the find and super resto

I once rescued a set of Pearl Exports I bought for $39.00 (5 piece) they had water damage but stayed in round
and the wrap stayed on,they came out well ...

But a buddy of mine was helping a guy clean out his house when they got to the attic he found an old very dusty set of drums. ...
long story short the home owner gave my friend the drums in lieu of the $75.00 he was gonna pay him for the house cleaning job
after much work they came out looking pretty nice ...

LACamco_zps293fba7c.jpg

A Camco set for near nothing? Wow score of the century.

Also very nice clean up on that Luwig kit. Looks like the only aftermarket thing was dual tom mount vs the rail mount.

Really nice job on those. One thing: I think you should measure the bass drum again. Not only does it look like a 22", but I believe Ludwig put 8 lugs on their 20" kick drums. Your's has 10 lugs, which would be consistent with 22" or larger. So, unless you have some kind of one-off, I think you have a 22" kick drum.

+1..That's a 22" bass drum.10 lugs per side,and the lug spacing suggest that it's a 22" for sure.

Great rescue.The snare and the rest of the set ,are from a different era.Post some serial numbers that are on the keystone badges.There should also be date stamps in ink,on the drums interior.The interiors should also be white resocoat,unless their pre 63.

Steve B

Tamadrm, The floor tom is painted white on the interior, the other two are not painted the serial numbers are : floor 10196, 13 tom 13369, bass 13235. The date stamps are non ledgeable on the drums except for the Supra which I already had and it is a Nov. 1976. I really wish that the previous owner had not put the dual tom mount on. I would like to have a rail back on but I would have a hard time matching the WMP finish if I tried to fill the hole for the double tom mount. I did already fill the extra holes that were there for the rail. I had a partial piece of WMP from one of the bass drum hoops. Took a rifle casing punched out some dots and then filled the holes with some two part epoxy puddy and you can barely see them unless you know where to look. I still have some small things that I want to do but for the most part I'm very satisified with the results. Now all I have to do is to sell my other two drum sets. These Ludwigs will be all that I will be needing for the rest of my playing days.

P.S. Yes I realize it is a 22 inch kick, that was just a typo in the previous post. In the original post I had the correct size. Thanks John

Those serial numbers look they make them circa 1964.

The reveal of the cleaned up drums after all of that moldy nastiness made me smile big! Congrats and well done, sir!

great, great drums! baseball bat mufflers on the toms, cymbal arm mount on the bass drum.....that was amazing rescue, they could have damaged over time and lost forever.

Thanks guys. It was a lot of work but a labor of love. I'm so glad I got them before they were ruined for life. Now someday someone else will be able to enjoy too. John

Wow, I can't believe that the shells didn't delaminate. is that damp moldy environment.
Great job saving the drums.

Great job. I'm not sure that I have the patience to disassemble, strip, clean... a full kit but you did a solid job on it. Additionally, when you get tired of 3 kits, you can pass your good fortune on to another (maybe young) musician who would never get to purchase something like that. Congrats.

Here are some updated pictures. I filled and plugged the holes in the kick where the the rail was mounted. New hoops and trim rings on the bass drum. And a Atlas mount on the 13 inch tom.

Attachments

• finished ludwigs 001.JPG
    finished ludwigs 001.JPG
    283.3 KB · Views: 251
  • finished ludwigs 002.JPG
    finished ludwigs 002.JPG
    311.8 KB · Views: 254
  • finished ludwigs 003.JPG
    finished ludwigs 003.JPG
    310.4 KB · Views: 253
  • finished ludwigs 006.JPG
    finished ludwigs 006.JPG
    316.6 KB · Views: 259
Larry thanks for posting that link. I had read it a long time ago and was thinking about it when I got these. I may look into it. John

John I noticed that in the "dirty" pictures, the bass drum hoops were blackened. In the "clean" pictures the bass drum hoops look perfect. Did you replace them or did they clean up that well?

You really brought those tubs back from the depths. Killer.​

Another vintage Luddy rescued from a cold dark dusty basement!
Wonderful job, I would play those anywhere.

Neal

Back