Gavin Harrison here!

Hi humberto

First question: You (together with Porcupine Tree of course..) have plans to start a new album?

no not right at the moment.

Second question: What do you think about the 13x5 prolite snare drum with red tribal finish? I see about some months ago and i see you play the new prolite series and i like yery much of each drum but especially the snare drum and i was thinking in buy this and

The drum in that Red Tribal ProLite video is 14x6 and I really liked it.

then became an idea of question to you this....And i see this video of you explain you odd groupings: this is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfKDG7rXEWM and i really like as well of this snare sound.. so if you remember please tell me which snare is that one;

That one is a Sonor Designer 12x5. They did reissue it (with my name on it) a few years ago and so you might still be able to find it.

Hi SantiBanks

One quickie though: as you might already know, Apple released Logic X. There is a "drummer" plugin included now and one of the "drummers" is a guy called Gavin. There is a little bit of rumor on a different forum (Gearsl*tz) that you recorded the stuff for Apple. Is that true?

I don't have Logic X and It's nothing to do with me. I saw a video about their "drummer" plug in and I thought it was very childish. What is the world coming to?

Hi szokematyi

I just saw your new Gibraltar rack on Facebook! Finally it's stylish, and new. (Never liked the box-like Iooking ICON-rack, but it's simply my taste in design, so not even important.) But I found two things that I could not understand.
First: why did you keep the excess bars on the front? Without them the rack would show a bit more drums. Plus the front weight would decrease as well (see: my second question) I would have cut them right from the front post. Are you planning to put something there?

Yes I really wanted those excess bars to mount mic stands. I really don't like mics that are mounted onto the drum so I need to get the mic stands off the rack.

IMG_4990.JPG

Second: I could not figure out how it won't tumble forward... I mean forwardish, onto the bass drum. Would you post a few more pictures about it?

these photos should answer a lot of the questions. I was a bit tired with the old Pearl rack and front cross bar - it ruined a lot of photos by covering up or obscuring too much of the drums - it's a good sturdy design and I've used it for many years but I feel the Gibraltar is a lot more sleek, stealth and elegant...plus it makes the drums look good.

IMG_4986.JPG
IMG_4988.JPG
IMG_4991.JPG

Hi ElevenFour

Quick question as I'm having a hard time finding an answer to this via search. What bass drum beaters are you using on the speed cobra's? Are they just the two way pearl beaters?

They are Sonor hammer style beaters.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
I don't have Logic X and It's nothing to do with me. I saw a video about their "drummer" plug in and I thought it was very childish. What is the world coming to?

cheers
Gavin

Already thought so, but asked anyways to confirm. Thanks for that :) And yes, I totally agree! The new plugins don't do it for me either.

And compliments on the new rack :) Your kit looks awesome! Very stylish indeed. Looking forward to see it later this year in Amsterdam :)

Hi Gavin!

It‘s always good read your opinions and helpful ideas. Thank‘s a lot for your attention.

I got a drumset like your old (black and white sq2) drums, with the 15" and 16" FT medium maple, really like the drums, but I have some problems to find the best sound for the FT. I listen your songs in Circles, and really like the depth of your FT. Can you tell me how do you tune your floor toms with this sizes and the relationship between the batter head and resonance head? I‘m still using the Sonor factory standard heads, perhaps a thicker head will help...

Last question: When you play the snare drum (i.e. in the backbeat) in a "normal" part of a song, do you often hit the rim and the center of the head or just play the center of the head? I‘m asking it because I start to record some stuff and notice that a small variation in the way that I play the snare drum produce a very different sound on the mix. How do you practice to be consistence on your snare drum sound?

Thank you for your support.

Marcos

Hello Mr. Harrison,

First of all, thank you very much for you time.

I have got a few questions for you

1- I am from Argentina, so... do you have plans to come to my country? SW and his band came to play in Buenos Aires at Vorterix theatre and... it was amazing. It´s a good place to play music :)

2- In your live performances, I see you use a few gadgets on your left, such as a macbook and a mixer. What do you use them for? I´m interested in a mixer mostly. Do you use also a headphones amplifier? Can you control your click track?

Well, thank you very much again!

Have a nice day!

Last edited:
Hey Gavin! Over the past few weeks, I've found a couple questions that have bothered me while I listen and play. So without further adieu, here they are:

1) So I've found a way to have my own kind of cup chime system like yours because they've just become part of my playing style now, and (I'm sure you feel the same about this part) my kit would not be the same without them. I use three cymbals for this setup: a 4" Paiste cup chime, a 6" Zil Bel, and a 6" A Custom splash. They all have a chime like quality that suits me. Plus, I've never broken a cymbal (thank goodness), so I have nothing to cut down and make into a chime myself.

The problem comes with playing them sometimes. I feel that my hi hat rod is slightly too tall to always have easy access to them. Say I'm playing along to something like the end of "Dark Matter" (Atlanta version), or the bridge section of "Okay" with the left hand constantly moving around from hi hat to chimes to china and back. The hi hat rod can get in the way. Meanwhile on your kit, your hi hats are practically at the top of the rod, leaving plenty of space to move around freely.

So I've devised three possible theories about your Sonor hi hat stand. 1) The rod is shorter than other hi hat stands. (I use a Ludwig) 2) You just sit really high, so your hi hats are high up on the rod. Or 3) This seems a bit unlikely, but perhaps you've cut down your hi hat rod. I'd like to know, which one of these is correct? For what reason do your hats sit at the top of the rod?

Here you can see my three bell setup (as well as the rest of my kit, ain't she a beaut?), and how the hi hat rod is up there next to them.
(For anyone wondering, the two inverted cymbals in the middle are an 8" and 10" EFX #1. I just love the sound of the 8", which Gavin used on the Deadwing and FOABP records. They're my versions of Gavin's "crash-bells" that he'd have in the same spot.)
1017197_140057459524550_604905858_n.jpg

2) This question is a bit simpler. So you've posted a couple live videos of you with 05Ric on your Youtube page. I also remember hearing a live clip of the beginning of "Source" in the background of a video of an interview you did. So my question is, any chance you and 05Ric will release a recording of some of that live material as a dvd or cd?

Thanks for answering once more.
Cheers. --Peter

Last edited:
perhaps you've cut down your hi hat rod.

I don't think he has, but you shouldn't be afraid to cut yours. I used to cut my pull rod years ago, when I was using a big double bass kit and the rod was in the way of my smallest tom.

You can always buy replacement pull rods. They're not very expensive.

Hi Rítmico

I got a drumset like your old (black and white sq2) drums, with the 15" and 16" FT medium maple, really like the drums, but I have some problems to find the best sound for the FT. I listen your songs in Circles, and really like the depth of your FT. Can you tell me how do you tune your floor toms with this sizes and the relationship between the batter head and resonance head? I‘m still using the Sonor factory standard heads, perhaps a thicker head will help...

I use a Remo Coated Vintage Emperor on the top of the toms and a clear Ambassador on the bottom (which is the same as the Sonor Clear you've probably already got on there). The clear (resonant) head on the bottom is tuned slightly higher than the top head -which I would describe as pretty loose.

When you play the snare drum (i.e. in the backbeat) in a "normal" part of a song, do you often hit the rim and the center of the head or just play the center of the head? I‘m asking it because I start to record some stuff and notice that a small variation in the way that I play the snare drum produce a very different sound on the mix. How do you practice to be consistence on your snare drum sound?

I always hit the backbeat as a 'rim shot' where the stick is hitting the rim and the center of the head or just above the center. When you hit under the center - you can start to get some thin and inconsistent backbeat sounds.

Hi martinmasignano

1- I am from Argentina, so... do you have plans to come to my country?

I was there around 1997 and really enjoyed it - but I have no plans to come to Argentina at the moment.

2- In your live performances, I see you use a few gadgets on your left, such as a macbook and a mixer. What do you use them for? I´m interested in a mixer mostly. Do you use also a headphones amplifier? Can you control your click track?

The MacBook is playing the backing tracks when I'm performing at drum clinics. The mixer is used to monitor my drums and the backing tracks -plus the click. Yes I can of course adjust any of the levels that are going to my headphones and it has enough power that I don't need a separate headphone amplifier.

Hi K_HiHats

So I've devised three possible theories about your Sonor hi hat stand. 1) The rod is shorter than other hi hat stands. (I use a Ludwig) 2) You just sit really high, so your hi hats are high up on the rod. Or 3) This seems a bit unlikely, but perhaps you've cut down your hi hat rod. I'd like to know, which one of these is correct? For what reason do your hats sit at the top of the rod?

interesting theories - but I do cut down my hi hat rod by quite a few inches. I have to remember to take it with me when I'm traveling around the world using kits that aren't my own. In fact I have a huge list of special items that I need to take with me when making drum clinics.

So you've posted a couple live videos of you with 05Ric on your Youtube page. I also remember hearing a live clip of the beginning of "Source" in the background of a video of an interview you did. So my question is, any chance you and 05Ric will release a recording of some of that live material as a dvd or cd?

There's no plan to release that recording - but we may record other shows on the next tour in November/December.

cheers
Gavin

Is anything happening with P-tree? Coming to Australia soon?

Hi
My first post here so i hope it pops up in the right section :)

Ok..The Protean snare drums,I have the 12" version.
(going back to a 14" after using that is like sitting at a huge round diner table ha )

In pics I've just noticed that only the 14" has two more air vents just above the snare wires
Nobody seems to notice or talk about them.I quite like vented drums shame its not on the 12"
(added because the 14 size moves more air ?)
was this idea taken from any particular drum you have worked with?

also Ive seen a vid where you demo the tight snare wires,.

Do you find that the tension of the snare wires almost tunes the drum? as the wire gets tighter up goes the pitch.
Over do it and In the end drum chokes up and makes a longer Dooooh! sound

Ps
i just got myself a 1982 Yamaha 955RA :) and yep the snare throw drop is very short
but Its still a great snare drum.

Thanks for any info
(keep depressing us all with your neat drumming :)

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for all the inspiration and of course, going out of your way to answer all these questions! I was lucky enough to have a front seat at your clinic in Wembley Drum Centre a few months back. Don't know if you remember but I was the guy who asked about excercises for strengthening the left hand, which I'm glad I did as your answer wasn't quite what I expected!

Anyway, one thing that has always floored me about your playing is the absolute sheer consistency in the execution - everything always seems to be so perfectly placed down to the last note. And after years of listening to your playing, I'm not sure I've ever heard you make a mistake! I guess there are lots of factors that lead to this but would you say recording yourself and listening back was one of the most important ones? Do you like to do much mental preparation before gigs to get in the right mindset?

Consistency is something I'm really trying to improve right now and I know putting the hours is obviously key to it. But sometimes I struggle over what to practice. Is there anything you'd recommend when it comes to working on improving consistency of execution? Also, how do you go about nailing the tempo of a tune in a gig situation without the aid of any kind of metronome count in? I find nailing the tempo to be quite hard sometimes, especially with adrenaline kicking in and changing my perception of the speed of time itself (wow, that sounds quite sci-fi!). Have you ever encountered that kind of problem in the past? If so, how have you dealt with it?

Thank you so much again!

Cheers,
Robin

Hey Gavin - thanks always for posting your gear specifics.

I really like the idea of that "puzzle piece" flooring - I have that in my garage too, interesting use as a drum "carpet" though! I also noticed the very neat blue outlines where you marked to place the stands, etc... what did you use to do that??

And finally, are those Gibraltar curved tubes their standard 32" or something length? Or did you cut them down to size?

Hi Gavin,

You might remember me from the Chicago master class and clinic-- the guy from Nashville. I saw that you were coming back to Vic's this October. Sadly, I won't be able to make it up this time due to school. Just wanted to throw in the idea of coming down to Nashville some time! We'd love to have you visit Music City!

Cheers!

Hi Gavin!

Pre-first: Sorry for the long list!

First: Thank you for the pictures! :)

Second: When was the debut of the rack? Was it an O5Ric-Gavin H. show? Was it fun having a new look? :)

Third: If I remember correctly, you are using Lug Locks on your Protean snare. Why did you choose these? There are lots of variations for locking tension rods, like Tightscrews (honestly... questionable results), Sonor's Lock Tune Safe (looks a lot better than Lug Locks), Lockerz (cheap and made by drummers, so...), RhythmTech's iT. Index Tension Tuners, Canopus's Bolt Tight, etc. Have you tried any of these, or just stick with the LL? Personally I use Lockerz, but the reason for that is simply: They're cheaper, but still doesn't look "cheap" like the Lug Locks. I'm not a fan of using nuts (or similar products, there are quite a few) to hold the rods in place/"tune", because on the long run, the nuts damage the underside of the hoops. It's simple physics. The Canopus and the RhythmTech versions look interesting, but have not tried them yet. Planning to, but not yet. What is your opinion on these lug locking ideas?

Fourth: That puzzle-floor-stuff looks interesting (any chance you know their commercial name for us to check on the net?), but how stable are the rack-foots on those? Do they slip? Plus I haven't seen the other floor tom on it, only one. Are you "downsizing"? :)

Cheers,
Matthew

Hi Dre25

Is anything happening with P-tree? Coming to Australia soon?

no plans at the moment.

Hi Timzy

Ok..The Protean snare drums,I have the 12" version. In pics I've just noticed that only the 14" has two more air vents just above the snare wires. Nobody seems to notice or talk about them.I quite like vented drums shame its not on the 12" was this idea taken from any particular drum you have worked with?

On one of the prototypes it was suggested by Sonor to try the extra air vents - and I could hear a difference that I liked. It didn't seem necessary on the 12" - it could because of the extra air volume inside the 14".

also Ive seen a vid where you demo the tight snare wires,.Do you find that the tension of the snare wires almost tunes the drum? as the wire gets tighter up goes the pitch.
Over do it and In the end drum chokes up and makes a longer Dooooh! sound

I don't find it affects the tuning but the tension of the wires does change the sound and response.

Hi Drummerrobin

Anyway, one thing that has always floored me about your playing is the absolute sheer consistency in the execution - everything always seems to be so perfectly placed down to the last note. And after years of listening to your playing, I'm not sure I've ever heard you make a mistake! I guess there are lots of factors that lead to this but would you say recording yourself and listening back was one of the most important ones? Do you like to do much mental preparation before gigs to get in the right mindset?

Thanks - but I do make mistakes of course - and I'd love to be more consistent. Recording has played a major part in gaining consistency. There are things you may be doing that you're not so aware of until you hear it back on a recording. Being in the right frame of mind before you play is more important than anything else. I've learnt that over many years. Even when I'm doing sessions at home on my own - if I'm not feeling right for a certain song - I might stop the recording and go and ride my bike - or go and practise for an hour or two - or listen to some music that might help me get in the right mood for the type of music that I need to play on the session. Such is the luxury of recording at home.

Is there anything you'd recommend when it comes to working on improving consistency of execution? Also, how do you go about nailing the tempo of a tune in a gig situation without the aid of any kind of metronome count in?

As I said before - recording and listening is probably the most fruitful way to go. I'd have to think back 25-30 years to the last time I went onstage counting in songs off the top of my head. Sometimes I would think of a famous song that had the same tempo as the one I was about to 'count in' - but from 'recording and listening' to tapes of those gigs I was inconsistent because it was subject to my adrenaline or mood on a particular night. There's no reason that you can't take a little metronome on stage with you for 'count in' reasons...but even then it's worth recording yourself. I've seen this happen many times: a drummer (or someone else in the band) turns on a metronome to count the song off. (I've been sitting close enough that I can hear it). They start tapping their foot along with it. They turn off the metronome and put it down - their foot speeds up. Then they count the band in at a faster tempo - then the band start playing at an even faster tempo - so the whole exercise was reasonably pointless. Making a good 'count in' (that doesn't speed up or slow down) and then coming at the same tempo as that 'count in' is harder than you think and well worth practising with the 'record and listen' process.

Hi Trip McNealy

I really like the idea of that "puzzle piece" flooring - I have that in my garage too, interesting use as a drum "carpet" though! I also noticed the very neat blue outlines where you marked to place the stands, etc... what did you use to do that??

Just a white marker pen around the feet of the rack, the floor tom legs and the hi hat/snare drum stand.

And finally, are those Gibraltar curved tubes their standard 32" or something length? Or did you cut them down to size?

They are 46" bars and I shortened the one on my hi hat side a little bit.

Hi szokematyi

When was the debut of the rack? Was it an O5Ric-Gavin H. show? Was it fun having a new look? :)

I haven't taken it on tour yet.

If I remember correctly, you are using Lug Locks on your Protean snare. Why did you choose these? There are lots of variations for locking tension rods, like Tightscrews (honestly... questionable results), Sonor's Lock Tune Safe (looks a lot better than Lug Locks), Lockerz (cheap and made by drummers, so...), RhythmTech's iT. Index Tension Tuners, Canopus's Bolt Tight, etc. Have you tried any of these, or just stick with the LL?

Many years ago I was given a whole load of Lug Locks - so I've used them ever since. I haven't tried these other things but I may check them out. The nice thing about the Lug Locks is that you put them after you have tuned the drum. I don't want something that is going to make the bolt really stiff as I'm trying to tune.

That puzzle-floor-stuff looks interesting (any chance you know their commercial name for us to check on the net?), but how stable are the rack-foots on those? Do they slip? Plus I haven't seen the other floor tom on it, only one. Are you "downsizing"? :)

They don't have a commercial name - and nothing slips on them. I'm still using two floor toms - I just didn't have both of them out when I took the photo.

Cheers
Gavin

Thanks for the reply much appreciated.

Ps
i must have been blind not to notice that you play all your ghost notes
in the center of the snare drum.

I was taught (or picked up on) playing all the ghosts at the edge of the drum.

Ive now swapped to playing everything in the center and its way more consistent
sound wise and movement wise.

Ive been looking at a pair of Remix 12" hats,not a lot of info on them
what do you recon ?
i go for quiet hats(i like them to almost mix them self into the kit )

again thanks for the time you to answer everyone's emails
it just shows what a decent guy you are :)

(first saw you in the masters of groove tour,with the micro red 16" bass drum kit! way back ...even got the CD ha )
Timzy

Hi szokematyi

Many years ago I was given a whole load of Lug Locks - so I've used them ever since. I haven't tried these other things but I may check them out. The nice thing about the Lug Locks is that you put them after you have tuned the drum. I don't want something that is going to make the bolt really stiff as I'm trying to tune.

Cheers
Gavin

Well, It's nice to use these after tuning, no argument there! This makes its use more convenient, but honestly, because it's harder to turn the tension rods, it's harder for them to loosen up. So the Lug Locks are an easy solution, but their aesthetics are... well not that pleasing! The Sonor's version of these look great, but I haven't found any shop that sells those. (???) I wanted to try them for the same reason you like the Lug Locks. But I'd be really interested in how would these (the LugLocks) hold up on the underside of a snare. Would they stay on? I'm not sure you use these on the underside, but on my snare I would, just to be on the safe side! :)

I'd never use Tightscrews for two reasons:
1. the more you turn them, the faster the nylon insert wears out, downgrading them back to a simple tension rod (and the wearing out would vary from rod to rod - hm... this sentence sounds a bit weird, I hope it's not a complete BS), plus the difference in "wear out" wouldn't be that easy to spot, only after quite a while
2. the worn out nylon would fall inside the lug, or at least parts of it would fall inside, and that would be something I would not like.

And about some of the other alternatives... I couldn't help myself, I just ordered Bolt Tights, and RhythmTech's iT. Index Tension Tuners to try them on my snares. I can give you (and the others if anyone interested) a... review-like thing later. Who knows? I might save you a few quids. ;)

Cheers,
Matthew

Last edited:
Just now watched & listened to Gavin's Vic Firth Interview Clips.

Let me please just express what an intelligent and eloquent set of clips.

These clips are a joy to listen to.

Thanks Gavin!

Hi Gavin:

Still very much enjoying my 12" Protean snare and am looking forward to your Zildjian workshop at Vic's in Chicago this October.

One thing I've noticed with the "S" hoops on the Protean is cross sticking is a little more challenging. Are there any tricks you can recommend to obtain a higher volume level or do I just need to work a little harder?

Cheers,
Steve

Hi Gavin
Well... as usual i have some questions, but not about equipment... is about your career
First question
Tell me more about your job with king crimson... Did you record a full album, or just some songs like scarcity of miracles? (by the way congratulations to you and king crimson. is an excellent song)anyway... and tell me about your job with ed poole and laurence cottle.

Second question
Do you have plans to make another dvd talking maybe abouth the album ''the man who sold himself''? or another things?

Back