My brand new Ludwig kit! Thank you to everyone who gave me advice

JimmyTheMonkey

After weeks of scouring ebay and Craigslist for deals and negotiating with retail salesmen for the best price, I have finally put together my new acoustic kit. Because of apartment living, this is the first acoustic kit I have had in over a decade, so it is a very exciting day! It sounds AWESOME. I forgot how unbelievably loud acoustic drums can get, but I have plenty of earplugs. My poor neighbors...

As you can see, the kit is largely inspired by John Bonham, Dave Grohl, and Taylor Hawkins. I really love that big sound they all have. I spent most of the money on stuff that I know will last me forever: the hardware and cymbals. I plan on upgrading the drums a few years down the road when I have a bit more money.

Thank you to everyone on the forum who gave me advice along the way. Who knows what type of terrible kit I would have ended up with had I picked it out myself without the advice of the forum.

Ludwig Centennial Moto shell pack (24, 13, 16, 18) in Blue Sparkle
Ludwig Black Magic 6.5x14 snare
Zildjian 15" K Light hi hats
Zildjian 19" K Custom Hybrid crash
Zildjian 20" A EFX Crash
Zildjian 21" A Sweet Ride
LP Rock Cowbell
Rhythm Tech Hat Trick
DW 9000 bass pedal and hi hat stand
Gibraltar 5600 and 6600 cymbal stands
Pearl S900 snare stand
Remo heads (Coated Emperor on top, Clears Ambassadors on bottom, Powerstroke 3 on bass batter, Coated Ambassador on bass resonant)

Attachments

• SAM_1558.JPG
    SAM_1558.JPG
    415.6 KB · Views: 1,210
  • SAM_1555.JPG
    SAM_1555.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 912
  • SAM_1553.JPG
    SAM_1553.JPG
    426.2 KB · Views: 942
  • SAM_1557.JPG
    SAM_1557.JPG
    421.4 KB · Views: 928
  • SAM_1559.JPG
    SAM_1559.JPG
    406 KB · Views: 815
  • SAM_1560.JPG
    SAM_1560.JPG
    457.3 KB · Views: 944
Nice looking kit. I've heard those Centennials sound good but have not played them. I've been thinking about scoring a set of the Epics in the same sizes.

Happy playing.

congrats you have an awesome set!!! by the way, are you a foo fighters fan? taylor hawkins has the same cymbal set up, plus a china

congrats you have an awesome set!!! by the way, are you a foo fighters fan? taylor hawkins has the same cymbal set up, plus a china

Yes, I am a big fan of Taylor and Dave Grohl (he uses a similar setup, with a few more crashes), and so I kept them in mind when designing the kit. I tried thousands of different cymbals, but I thought these sounded best for the price. It helped that a lot of them were greatly discounted because they were used. I really love the EFX cymbal. Even though its on the right side, I end up using it the most.

Back