Recording the DWs, and new Saturation Crash

Solaris

Silver Member
On Friday the 10th and Friday the 17th I entered the studio to do the last recording sessions for my band's album. We recorded five songs, two of which were new and three that we weren't happy with the first time around or have gone back and rewrote.

This was my first time recording with my new DWs, and I couldn't have been happier with the sounds we pulled. The toms especially sounded FAT, we used AKG D112s on the floor toms and they sounded like canons. The resonance on them lasted 20-30 seconds.

We're sending one of the songs off to mix in the next week so I'll post that as soon as it comes back. In the meantime you can check out the one track we have up on our myspace at www.myspace.com/vitalsignsmusic.

DSC00806.jpg

DSC00807.jpg

DSC00809.jpg

DSC00810.jpg

DSC00811.jpg

DSC00812.jpg

DSC00835.jpg

DSC00837.jpg

DSC00836.jpg

DSC00839.jpg

l_3e0362d5aad74df1b5b41e48768ac258.jpg

l_da34f66e3880440998fd0b78f3817460.jpg

My jaw is now on the floor for the 2nd time this week. That is a drumkit i'm sure sam sparro would be proud to own ;). Like the sat crash as well. It's funny, i was just thinking of how odd the name "virgil" is (no offence to anyone or anything). Wasn't that bloke of thunderbirds called that?

Yeah i bet those AKGs picked up the low end on those floor toms really well, being kick mics. I'm pretty impressed with the existing recording, can't wait to hear these new songs. Feel free to put any drum tracks online if you can find some too.

absolutly adorable!
Looks like the opposite finish of my own dw.
black with gold hardware
white with satin chrome hardware.

it would be awesome with a drum battle ^_^
australia is kinda far away from sweden tho... :/

Wow! Setup looks great!! Looks like a very nice studio too!! You mention the resonance on your floor toms. That's is one of the main things I just love about DW's. Mine are the same way. They resonate forever.

I know there are lots of different brands that sound as good or better than DW and resonate just as well, but it seems to me that just about every DW kit I have ever heard seems to have that in common, where other brands don't seem to be as consitent with their sound. Just my opinion...and that and a $1 will get you a large sweet tea at McDonalds!!

Anyhoo..Great Kit..Great Setup!!

now let me pick my jaw up off the floor!
that is an absolutely beautiful set!
thank you for the pictures and I can't wait to hear the tracks

Sweet pics. I have the 16" Saturation crash and I love it. I will be getting an 18" in the future.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Sorry about all the cases of jaw dropping, hope your insurance covers it.

I heard one of the tracks with guitars and vocals last night, gave me goose bumps. It's going to mix this week so hopefully it will be back in our hands and I'll be able to post it soon.

Benjamin - If I ever find myself remotely close to Sweden with the kit I'll be sure to definitely get in touch for a drum battle!

drumr0 - I know exactly what you mean. I was fortunate enough to record with a Pearl Reference last time I was in that room (which Never Go Away was recorded on), and the comparison between the two is interesting. On the point of resonance, the Reference's added plies of Mahogany on the 14" floor and bass drum really helped the low end, and I'd say they were fairly comparable to my DWs. Though I think where the DW really outshines the Reference is in the quality of tone and intonation between each drum.

I noticed with the Reference that the 10" and 12" seemed worlds away from the 14", and I really had to work hard to tune them to even intervals. With the DW's Timbre matching system though, the shell of each drum is already 'tuned' with the rest of the set, so really all you have to worry about is getting the skins tuned to the drum's sweet spot and you're set. I guess it comes down to two different design concepts: The Reference series drums are designed to get the best out of each diameter drum through the use of different woods, while DW Collectors kits are created as a family from day 1, and are designed to be together. To be honest both are great instruments, but I'm glad I went with the DWs over the Reference.

I've been thinking about Gold hardware for a while, but at the moment money is tight. It would be killer to have the kit decked out in 9000 series GOLD hardware, but not at the moment.

MNdrummer21 - Specs on the snares are:

(main) 14" x 5.5" Pearl Jimmy DeGrasso Signature model. Hammered brass shell with matching gold hardware.

(side) 14" x 5.5" PDP SX series maple snare with matching maple hoops. Sorry, I can't remember the no. of plies, I'm sure PDP would have some info. on their website.

I also used a Jeff Ocheltree "Phantom" - 14" x 6.5" nickel coated Carbon Steel snare with Diecast hoops.
DSC04183.jpg

DSC04186.jpg

DSC04180.jpg

That would be why the snare is "cracking" on Never Go Away... absolutely huge sound, by far the best snare I've ever had the opportunity to play on. No. 117 out of 500 made.
Karl from Kisschasy (if anyone heard of them) used this snare on a tour for 6 months and sweated all over it. That's why the Nickel finish is so tarnished in the photos.

Back