Paying to Play?

In general I believe if one is going to play in a band where there's no money, they should do it because they want to, can afford to, and at least be a full member of the band.
That is exactly right. If I'm going to take direction from some alpha musician, there had better be a paycheck attached to that direction!

I'm pretty flexible and reasonable as it is when coming up with new parts and taking in input from others, but bottom line is I have to like it.

As an example - we played a show last Saturday where I got a lot of compliments for this cool tom/snare part I was playing, which is funny because I'm exactly duplicating (to the best of my ability) a drum part programmed by the bass player, so the credit really goes to him. I'm just the monkey executing his great idea!

One of my stronger points is in arrangements (lengths of parts, change ideas and whatnot) and those guys seem to trust my judgment in that area. So I might be less receptive to their ideas if they weren't so receptive to mine.

Ok, from a legal standpoint here are the problems:

You MUST have a signed contract. This contract MUST include payment (by $ or %) of the GROSS or NET payment from gigs (go for gross, if NET you can get screwed).

Did you say recording? If you are in a recording studio and they are laying down tracks you HAD BETTER have a signed contract that clearly states the points you want and payment accordingly.

Seriously, see a lawyer... preferrably one that specializes in performance compensation.

Disclaimer: The above is not meant to be legal advice and am not liable for any outcome from you choosing to follow, or not follow the above. Always seek an attorney for legal advice. Objects in mirror closer than they appear. Use at your own risk. Automobile racing is a dangerous activity and may cause things including, but not limited to, death and dismemberment.

If you can read this you are too close.

If you can read this you are too close.

or your eyesight isn't blurry.
tbh i can't understand musicians who don't network with at least one music lawyer.. you're setting your up for a bad fall.
get your house in order or else the cards will tumble sooner or later.
i may be young compared to some people here, but i am in contact with a good music lawyer in the uk most weeks. he helped me set up a few contract templates etc.
one tip: make sure you talk to someone who deals within your territory/has knowledge because not all of the terms are interchangeable and some things differ (e.g. UK vs USA).

anyone who's serious about making a go of music (especially if you're young and aspiring, 16+) should get this book - http://www.amazon.com/Need-Know-Abo...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269063384&sr=1-1

it's not the be all and end all (you still need a lawyer), but it has some very good information, and it's not even that long.
i just keep it on a shelf next to me and if i need something then i have a quick browse.
however, very careful because record labels/whoever are trying to find new ways to make money out of you - (digital age).
look after yourself.

roger that thtst.

Back