Grip Too Tight?

Joey182

Silver Member
I was just playing the drums when my finger (right index) started to get a blister. I put some surgical tape and a band-aid on it. I usually get blisters on my middle and ring fingers.
Can someone please point out why I'm getting blisters after only 15 minutes of playing?
This isn't a pain-free process, so please hurry.
I think that when my hands get sweaty it gets moist and damp on my fingers so that may be whats causing this.
So maybe I should wear sweatbands, or use baby powder on my hands?
Please answer!

Yikes -- looks like you're gonna need a new kit.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Yes, you're probably gripping the sticks too tightly. I've gotten blisters on my thumbs before after 4 hour sets and such, but never have I gotten or even seen a drumming induced blister on the index finger. How exactly are you holding the sticks...?

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Hopefully you're not gripping your sticks as you are in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6tWZiUdOKE&feature=channel_video_title
I can't tell exactly what you're doing but it doesn't look very efficient. Singles and doubles on a pad can get your chops up and fix problems with your hands.

That's pretty quick to get blisters! Are your hands sweaty?? Try washing them before playing. Loosen your grip as well :)

I think it was Jim Chapin who said something along the lines of "imagine you are holding a small animal or bird and you don't want it to escape, but you don't want to hurt it either".

I'm still working on relaxing my grip, but this is often the quote I think about. These days I try and grip the sticks just enough to stop them flying out of my hands. Tommy Igoe often sais "soft hands" in his dvd, which I also find good to think about.

These days I do not get blisters, though I did many years ago when I first started. I also used to dent heads. I have no idea how I managed that now I look back!

I actually don't grip too tight anymore. I play quite loosely. I am gripping match grip except with my thumbs curving to the side. Not straight on the stick like some people do.
Here's a picture of how its being held.

Attachments

• Stick gripping.jpg
    Stick gripping.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 779
Yeah you're holding it like a self-taught garage player. Reminds me of how Marky Ramone holds his. So nasty (not that I don't like the Ramones...). You should be creating an axis, where the stick can swing from, between the thumb and index finger. Use the other three fingers behind the index just to keep the stick in place on that fatty pocket on your palm. My old teacher used to say that you want to pretend that there is a pin in your index and thumb connecting them through the stick.

PS, I couldn't help but watch that video showing off your gear, you should hook me up with that broken stuff you got. I could definitely find something to do with it ;]

Yeah you're holding it like a self-taught garage player. Reminds me of how Marky Ramone holds his. So nasty (not that I don't like the Ramones...). You should be creating an axis, where the stick can swing from, between the thumb and index finger. Use the other three fingers behind the index just to keep the stick in place on that fatty pocket on your palm. My old teacher used to say that you want to pretend that there is a pin in your index and thumb connecting them through the stick.

PS, I couldn't help but watch that video showing off your gear, you should hook me up with that broken stuff you got. I could definitely find something to do with it ;]

Ahaha. I could probably give you a snare drum. Its sitting on the floor right now and its just the shell that can be used. Throw-offs broken, heads broke, snares bent.

I recently watched a Dave Weckl DVD and fixed my grip up a little better and have started using my fingers more like he suggested. You basically holding the stick at its balance point with your thumb almost pointing straight up and your index finger right underneath it, resting the stick in between the two joints of that finger. The rest of your fingers help support the lower part of the stick while your fingers o about 80% of the action, using your arms and wrist when need be. I'm no expert, its just what works for me and I have yet to get a blister on my index.

Back