Starclassic Vs. Force 3007

Gurkan

I'm looking for a new set.

I'm caught between a Starclassic Performer set from 2003, 100% Birch i think. It's a 6 piece shell pack; 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 24" (no snare). It's about 1500$.
and...
A Sonor Force 3007, Automn fade. 5 pieces; 10", 12", 16", 14" and 22" (inclu. snare). This one come with hardware. It's 100% Maple and about 1600$.

I like the finish at both. I know the difference between maple and birch.
Which one do you think I should choose? Is the SCP a good deal?

Thanks beforehand.
/Erik

Last edited:
I'm looking for a new set.

I'm caught between a Starclassic Performer set from 2003, 100% Birch i think. It's a 6 piece shell pack; 10", 12", 13", 14", 16", 24" (no snare). It's about 1500$.
and...
A Sonor Force 3007, Automn fade. 5 pieces; 10", 12", 16", 14" and 22" (inclu. snare). This one come with hardware. It's 100% Maple and about 1600$.

I like the finish at both. I know the difference between maple and birch.
Which one do you think I should choose? Is the SCP a good deal?

Thanks beforehand.
/Erik

If you are planning on recording with the kit I would say go for the birch. If it is for playing out live, especially unmiked, go for maple. In my experience, the birch will be less resonant and won't cut through the music well without microphones. That being said, both Tama and Sonor make nice drums.

The Performer, in my opinion, is the better kit. This is not to say a 3007 is bad, but the Starclassic is a low-end professional kit while the 3007 is a high-end intermediate kit. There isn't a huge difference between the two, as in the 3007 will last just as long as the Starclassic, but there will be a little bit finer quality and refinement to the Performer than the 3007. That said, try them both out, the woods in them are very different and will produce completely different sounds. Birch may be to bright and sharp or the maple may be too low and deep. If one wood sounds much better to you, go for it, you won't be disappointed either way, but if you want a decent recording kit, the SCP is the way to go.

Another tack....

Ebay is selling new 3005's w/hardware & free shipping for $729. I don't think the SC's or 3007's sound $750 better than the 3005's. Check 'em out.

Peace

Ebay is selling new 3005's w/hardware & free shipping for $729. I don't think the SC's or 3007's sound $750 better than the 3005's.
I'll agree there. You can always brighten a maple kit or make a birch kit warmer, with just a switching of heads. Getting a 50% price break, good deal.

For what it's worth, I just bought a used Starclassic performer 100% birch kit off ebay for $1800 and it was 2 22x20 kicks, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16 toms and a 14 snare. I am in love with the drums and it still has the used stock heads on it! I can't wait to hear what it sounds like with new heads.

If I could give one piece of advice though, it would be to PLAY the drums before you buy. I didn't get play the exact set I purchased, but I got to record on the same type of set in a studio and I fell in love. It even pushed me to play better in the studio. I'm sure the Sonor Force's are great drums, I think they put out great stuff... but I think Tama Starclassic's are one of the best deals out there. They'll hold a candle to most of the high-end kits out there and for a lot less money. Also, bear in mind that Tama's hardware is some of the toughest and well-designed out there.

I have a 2 Sonors, a birch 2005 and a maple 3007...
I like Sonor very much but the StarClassic is a better drum...
Birch will cut, don't worry...

Philippe

Both are nice kits. The SC is probably made better: die cast rims, better hardware. I think it is made in Japan; but actually they may both be made in China. The SC birches are made in China now but I don't know about 2002 I just picked up a Mapex MBirch kit brand new for about $400, just for the drums, no hardware. I love it. It is a really nice kit. If you look around, you can get some good deals. Spending near 2000 for a birch kit, just doesn't seem necessary.

Ive had 2 SCPerf.birch and love them. I love Tama ever since I got my Imperial Stars back in 1984....it had concert toms and it was the loudest drums Ive ever heard even to this day! Anyway back on the subject Tama Star Classics are great drums!! I sold my DWs for them...

I like the Tama hardware better, especially if referring to the new starcast tom mounts. If I were to scale the two:

Quality (includes quality of hardware): Tama 10 Sonor 9
Value : Tama 10 Sonor 8

Best way to pick out a kit is to play it.

go to your nearest dealer and try both kits out.

one maybe more expensive then other but if it has the sound you want, it's worth spending the extra cash.

ultimately it's about sound right?

In my opinion, it doesn't get any better that Tama. And it's because of the hardware. It'll last a lifetime, Tama hardware has the most seamless, classy look to boot.

Back