Yamaha Drums

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

So I went to GC yesturday to get my set, rack, cymbals, hardware etc. etc. I even left work early in case we needed to call Yamaha, which we did.

I had been waiting to buy this Stage Custom and all the extras since August 07 (but wife's car accident set me back a few hundred. She was ok it was the truck repair hurt the pocket) but everything looked great for me to buy it all this week.

So, we call Yamaha's availablity dept. and ask about their SC's and they said all they have is what is in the warehouse, which isn't a lot and they definately don't have any Raven Black, the finish I want. Because they have stopped making the old SC's and are getting ready for the New SC's. I thought ok no big deal I can wait till March, cause that's when the press release said they were expecting to release them. But oh, how I was wrong. The woman in Price/Availability said they wouldn't be available until August!!!!!

My friends that was yesterday afternoon and I still can't rid of sad face, looks like I will be waiting. Again. =(

So I went to GC yesturday to get my set, rack, cymbals, hardware etc. etc. I even left work early in case we needed to call Yamaha, which we did.

I had been waiting to buy this Stage Custom and all the extras since August 07 (but wife's car accident set me back a few hundred. She was ok it was the truck repair hurt the pocket) but everything looked great for me to buy it all this week.

So, we call Yamaha's availablity dept. and ask about their SC's and they said all they have is what is in the warehouse, which isn't a lot and they definately don't have any Raven Black, the finish I want. Because they have stopped making the old SC's and are getting ready for the New SC's. I thought ok no big deal I can wait till March, cause that's when the press release said they were expecting to release them. But oh, how I was wrong. The woman in Price/Availability said they wouldn't be available until August!!!!!

My friends that was yesterday afternoon and I still can't rid of sad face, looks like I will be waiting. Again. =(
The most wicked and evil state of being known to man- waiting and uncertainty.. Sorry, bud.

Should have known. Yamaha is a bit slow on the availability/delivery front. Though everything else, post - purchase is A1.

I would say make sure you get the exact kit you want, sizes, finish, hardware etc..and THAT is worth waiting for.

Beat the daylights out of a practice pad, while you're waiting, and get rid of that face

Here are some pics I found on another brand's forum >=) haha sneaky sneaky

I didn't take the pictures but they are from the NAMM 08 show.

It looks like Yamaha is giving pearl some Rack compition. Check out the Hex Rack!

yammi1.jpg

yammi2.jpg

yammi3.jpg

Attachments

• DSCF9226.JPG
    DSCF9226.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 13,164
  • DSCF9234.JPG
    DSCF9234.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 13,150

The Hex Rack is ingenious!!! I work in Structural Design and Engineering and I was not terribly concerned with Pearl's Tube (Tube = square, Pipe = round) Rack but as I work in metal, seeing the construction and the how the forces travel, I could see the clamps rotating/twisting the tube. However forces like this probably don't happen, and I can not find posts or stories that say people are unsatisfied with Pearl's rack or that Pearl's rack is bad or poor construction, so there is nothing to convince me that pearl makes a bad rack system. It's just my background that makes me second guess it.

With that said I can tell you this, a Hex will always perform better than at square. Think of a flat-head screw driver, and flat-head screw, vs. a hex head screw driver and screw. The forces are distributed more evenly and over more contact points, not to mention when you add sides you can distribute more force to the broad sides, not just the corners. This is a pretty smart idea in my book, especialy that Plastic or Rubber sleeve that you see, wraps around the Hex tube, that means theres no metal on metal. So if/when that gives out I would assume you could only replace that piece and not have to change out the entire clamp.

I'm pretty impressed by this new addition to Yamaha Hardware, now I don't have a problem using a Yamaha's rack. I just wonder how much they are going to sell for =P

Does anyone have Pics from the NAMM show? I would love to see what else Yamaha is unveiling, I'm curious about the snares, in particular the rumor of Carter Beauford's signature, rumor says its 14x6.5 maple. Anyone heard anything? Or is anyone at NAMM could take some pics?

Keep saving and go with something higher like an Oak or Birch.

i have a yamaha set that i picked up at a garage sale that drummers have told me is probably an older birch recording custom. if someone with yamaha/drum knowledge could tell me what kind this is and maybe how much it's worth, that would be helpful.

these are clickable thumbnails.

btw, if this needs to be moved to it's own thread, that's fine, but i thought this would be a good place for it.

I've had my Stage Customs for just over two years (cranberry red lacquer), I absolutely love them although I have to admit that I replaced the snare with a high end Pearl maple. I use EC2 heads for batter and G1's for reso on all the toms...they sound great. The kick always was tremendous and with an EMAD on it I can't say enough about it. It goes without saying that the harware is top notch as well. You just can't go wrong on the SC for the price.

I have been contemplating an upgrade. I wish the Tour Custom came in a larger variety of finishes because none of the availalable options really appeal to me that much. I might go to the next level however and get a custom maple.....this is all a ways down the road, summer, fall perhaps, but I know one thing and that is that I'm sticking with Yamaha.

I'm thinking of buying Yamaha and got recommended the Yamaha Tour Custom,
Yamaha_tour_custom.jpg

Everyone seems to talk about Stage Custom, but how are the Tour Customs?

Alright. i've been trying to find a place that sales the real high end Maple custom, and can't find a place, Where should I start looking. On another thought can you get a custom paint job from the company??????

I'm thinking of buying Yamaha and got recommended the Yamaha Tour Custom,
Yamaha_tour_custom.jpg

Everyone seems to talk about Stage Custom, but how are the Tour Customs?

From what I know they are a step up from the Stage Customs in that they are all maple construction...similar in all other respects...I say buy them...they are a great price and as with all Yamaha products the hardware is top of the line even on their mid-range kits....

Keep saving and go with something higher like an Oak or Birch.

Well the SC I was going to get was Birch.

Or did you mean the Oak Customs? Should I go to the Absolutes? I haven't looked at the Absolute series I guess I will look into it.

Alright. i've been trying to find a place that sales the real high end Maple custom, and can't find a place, Where should I start looking. On another thought can you get a custom paint job from the company??????

I don't know of places that keep these in stock. You might just have to go to somewhere like guitarcenter and have them order them for you.

As for my set (the 8,10,12,16,20 SC Birch) what would be the next three steps up from Yamaha?
I priced a used Maple Custom and a Recording Custom while I was at the store and they are more than twice the price.

I'm looking for (obviously) nice sound, not to much attack as I don't play metal and not alot of heavy Rock.
I play mainly Funk, with some Island/regee songs and small amounts of Rock thrown in.
Looking for nice warm sound, and I will be giging with this set once I make the cases for them

I'm looking for help/advise cause I had something picked out and was sure I wanted it but now that's been ripped out from under me. I'm thinking I should take this time to find other options, and I'm curious as to what ya'll think.

Thanks in advance for any advise and help.

The Hex Rack is ingenious!!! I work in Structural Design and Engineering and I was not terribly concerned with Pearl's Tube (Tube = square, Pipe = round) Rack but as I work in metal, seeing the construction and the how the forces travel, I could see the clamps rotating/twisting the tube. However forces like this probably don't happen, and I can not find posts or stories that say people are unsatisfied with Pearl's rack or that Pearl's rack is bad or poor construction, so there is nothing to convince me that pearl makes a bad rack system.
I ran an older Pearl DR-100 rack for 10 years. Totally an iron workhorse. My lead singer would sit on one edge of my rack sometimes. I wouldn't even think to try that with a round tube rack. That said, most all my other hardware is Yamaha. Yamaha tom holders fitted into Pearl rack clamps (7/8" is 7/8", right?). For years, Yamaha was "missing the boat", without a rack. Well, it's here, and it's beautiful. 2 thumbs up from this guy.

I'm pretty impressed by this new addition to Yamaha Hardware, now I don't have a problem using a Yamaha's rack. I just wonder how much they are going to sell for =P
Don't know yet. They'd better keep it competitive, if they want to sell it. The "other" threat besides Pearl is the Gibraltar Stealth Vertical Mount System.

hey guys...just got my first yamaha kit....a stage custom advantage (not the nouveau) and i must say the toms are fantastic compared to some of the kits i have played...and the bass drum with an emad head is just amazing...i didnt like the snare so i went back to my ludwig acrolite...just gotta say i love the new kit...it inspires me to learn and play more than i have ever wanted to before....but quick question...the tom heads are stock single ply and have a pretty good sounds (i muffled the floor tom with a remo o') but if i were to get some new heads for the toms what would i go for....(i play punk/post hardcore/classic rock and a lot more)...what should i go for to capture that deep diving rich tone i hear from the kits of some of my favorite drummers...if thats even possible on this kit as i know it is only semi-pro and there are some mixed reviews

I use Aquarian Response II's however that model has been upgraded to the Super II.

I would try those heads. You'll love the Stage Custom Adv. I love mine :)

Also, don't ignore the snare, put an Aquarian Hi Energy head on it, and crank it really high. You get a nice sounding snare. Also try the Focus X snare head, its a clear head that I have on my 2nd Snare with is also a Stage Custom snare.

Tom

My dad owns a Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau, and I must say, it sounds better than a DW Collectors series. To bad Yamaha doesn't make bubinga drums. If there was a Yamaha Bubinga Custom Absolute... that would be awesome.

My dad owns a Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau, and I must say, it sounds better than a DW Collectors series. .

Couldnt agree more. I went out to buy a DW collectors and returned with a MCAn. Never played bubinga...am I missing a whole lot?

Couldnt agree more. I went out to buy a DW collectors and returned with a MCAn. Never played bubinga...am I missing a whole lot?

Well, it would fit into the Yamaha family. They make great drums, so I would assume that if they made a bubinga kit, it'd be amazing. Bubinga is deeper and louder than maple. Full of overtone. It has mostly the same projection and clearity, too. I'de say your not missing out on a whole lot, but it's a pretty nice wood.

Or even Yamaha making African (not Asain or Phillipine) Mahagony drums. I'de imagine that would be incredible, too. I've never played real mahagony before though.

Back