Yamaha Drums

Re: THE YAMAHA DRUMS THREAD

I'm a massive fan of Yamaha drums and drum gear. Some of you may have seen my Recording Customs in a thread in the Your Gear section. Anyway, here's my quandry... I'm after some 13" aluminium diecast snare hoops. I read that Yamaha had made some at some point (whether or not they came with a snare is of course another story...) but I was wondering if anyone might have any idea where I could get some? I've tried my usual drum stores that I buy stuff from, I've tried Thomann in Germany, I've tried ebay... I'm running out of ideas... any thoughts anyone?

I remember the YAMAHA paul leim sig. snare model having aluminium hoops...also a couple of other yamaha snares....I'm sure they can point you in the right direction

I remember the YAMAHA paul leim sig. snare model having aluminium hoops...also a couple of other yamaha snares....I'm sure they can point you in the right direction

Cheers! I just had a quick look on ebay for the paul leim sig snare and found one in germany but it's 500 euros and 14" so completely wrong for me... way too expensive and too big : (

Tried this snare, yesterday. Awesome

beech abs.jpg

BTW, Here's the nouveau lug story:

Nouveau Lugs utilize a floating design that eliminates contact between the lug casing and shell by hitching the lugs to the bolts at the shell side so the shell can resonate freely. Their quick release design also provides for very quick head changes and reduces the risk of losing washers since it is no longer necessary to entirely remove the tuning bolt. New Brass shells (1.5 mm thick) are designed thicker than previous models (1.2 mm thick) to deliver a more powerful tone.

I posted this question before the Yamaha Thread was created, but I would a little more feedback, if possible, from Yamaha players:

What is your take on the Absolute Birch vs. Recording Custom? I know that they are the exact same shell, according to what I have heard and read, with the only differences being lugs, hoops, badges, and color options. Do both shells have 45 degree bearing edges? The new anniversary kits, which are basically RCs in gold or silver, have 60 degree edges, so I wasn't sure what the Recording Customs have.

I play jazz/funk (from bebop to Galactic-style grooves) and am looking to get 18" bass with 10 and 12 toms, 14 floor. Which would you choose--Absolute Birch or Recording Custom?

(Note: The other option I'm considering is Mapex Saturns.)

Thanks!

Hi Robert, here's something I picked off Peter Eskine's site. Hope this helps:

Hi Peter,
I am a huge fan of your music - all the way back to your Stan Kenton days.

My question concerns the sonic differences betwen the Recording Custom series and the Birch Custom Absolute series drums.I used to own a Recording Custom kit ( foolishly sold it)
and have been considering the purchase of a new Yamaha dumset. I am pondering the differences sonically between the two series of birch drums Absolute vs Recording Custom.I play in a Classic Rock and Blues band and do a lot of gigs in Clubs.
I have also heard that the Newer Recording Customs have a different bearing edge and the plies are a different thickness from the older Pre-YESS Recording Custom kits is that true ?

Thanks

Rick

By eric on Saturday, September 17, 2005 - 02:01 pm: Edit Post

Rick,

I recently went through the same questions, and ended up speaking to someone at Yamaha who explained to me that they are similar in plies (6 ply toms, 7 ply kick), and that the main difference was the hardware lugs. I ended up buying a new recording custom. Shortly afterward, I had been hearing so much about the Maple Custom Absolute, I ended up buying one to test off eBay. I liked the deeper sound of birch better and ended up keeping my Recording Custom, and put the Maple kit back on eBay, which sold quickly. On the recording custom, after experimenting with heads, I settled on Evans G1 on tops, and clear ambassodors on bottom and I have the best sound I have ever had. I used a tuning dial to help me get the best pitches on each tom.

The one thing I will say about the maple kit - the kick drum was AMAZING compared to the birch, which is decent, but not a big and open sounding. Overall, the maples had more ring, but there was NOT a huge differnce between the 2 when it came to the toms. Hope this helped.

I posted this question before the Yamaha Thread was created, but I would a little more feedback, if possible, from Yamaha players:

What is your take on the Absolute Birch vs. Recording Custom? I know that they are the exact same shell, according to what I have heard and read, with the only differences being lugs, hoops, badges, and color options. Do both shells have 45 degree bearing edges? The new anniversary kits, which are basically RCs in gold or silver, have 60 degree edges, so I wasn't sure what the Recording Customs have.

I play jazz/funk (from bebop to Galactic-style grooves) and am looking to get 18" bass with 10 and 12 toms, 14 floor. Which would you choose--Absolute Birch or Recording Custom?

(Note: The other option I'm considering is Mapex Saturns.)

Thanks!

If it's of any help I own a 2007 Recording Custom kit and I wouldn't change it for the world. It's awesome.

Just curious, Did Vinnie Colauita play a YRC before he signed up with GRETSCH? Anybody know?

Another Yamaha man in the house

I will have some pictures of my kit hopefully this week. The digital camera is currently being borrowed...

1999-made Yamaha Maple Custom w/Vintage finish and wood hoops on ALL drums

18x14 BD
10x7.5 TT
14x14 FT
14x7 Elvin Jones Sig Snare (which is only available in beautiful gold sparkle which looks great with the hoops and the rest of my drums. Just got crazy compliments on it tonight actually)

I use Yamaha HH and cymbal stands (I bought some of those old-school style DW stands but the tops came off and of course DW made it so you can only really use their stuff instead of some washers...so those sit unused in the corner for about...7 years)

The hoops are a little worn (8 years of bashin' the hell out of them - and yes I'm a "jazz" guy - but I abuse my kit and they still look/sound amazing) with some cracks, but I've been getting my money's worth from them and they're still holding up (just rotated the crack away from where I hit...problem solved!)

They have travelled with me to London, NYC, Boston, and LA and soon to Europe for a month (oh yeah Aydee!) and they get nothing but rave reviews from everyone (except for dumb meatheads who say they look like toys...some people just want a 24" BD all the time...)

Hey Yamaha! Give me an endorsement! : )

Aydee & AlteredBeast,

Thanks for the feedback and Erskine thread! Even though the Birch Absolutes have all those cooler color options, I think I'm really heading towards the Recording Customs. A nice little jazz setup in cherry wood gloss! We'll see...if I get up the nerve, I may make the order call this week!

Now, if only I had money for that new JR Robinson sig. birch snare!

Hey Guys,

I just found out some added information about the bearing edges of the Birch Absolute vs. Recording Customs.

According to Yamaha's Europe site:

http://www.yamaha-europe.com/yamaha...s/10_no_series/10_recording_custom/index.html

the Recording Customs have 45 degree bearing edges, like the Absolute series. The anniversary birch kits, the Temple Gold and silver--the 40th anniversary kits--use the same lugs as the Recording Customs, but they have have 60 degree bearing edges--very big difference. The main Yamaha site (yamahadrums.com) does not, for some reason, provide this information; that site documents the 60 degree edges on the anniversary birch kits, but it does not list the edges for the RCs.

Just in case anyone is interested.

Hey FYI-

I have a Yamaha copper snare with the nouveau lugs. I do like the tuning high for a nice crack when struck. All was fine for about 18 months when I noticed the head sounding off during a gig. One of the nouveau lugs busted on me. I called Yamaha 888-892-6462 and spoke to person who was nice enough to send me two replacement lugs (free) I received the lugs in about a week (thank God for backup snare) I no sooner replaced the lug when I noticed another lug broke. Called Yamaha back. It was explained to me that the tension rods were too long and that they are sending me out replacements. I received the replacement rods (20) along with 4 addition nouveau lugs (free) in about a week's time (thank God for the snare spare again)

I have yet to replace the new rods but I have my doubts about this being the fix. If the lugs are shorter can I get the tension where I like it? My suspicion is that the lugs need to be addressed. Once I replace the rods I will post again with an update. I think for the toms and bass drum the nouveau lugs will be fine but I would really be cautious with snare drums.

Wow-I feel kind of intimidated reading about all the high line Yamaha products here, but I would like to say that I absolutely love my Stage Custom Nouveaus. I know that they are "mid level" drums, but they sound pretty damn good to me, especially compared to other kits of the same price...
I also own a Yammie steel snare dated from the late '60's that is on par or better than any other snare I have ever played or heard.
So nice to hear from other Yamaha people out there; good thread!!

I actually really want a Yamaha snare or two... I'd really like one of the Steve Gadd models and I'd like to try the Akira Jimbo snare. I don't know any Yamaha dealers locally and I doubt anyone in the UK actually keeps these snares in stock.

Re: Recording Customs - I wouldn't change my kit for the world. I'd be curious to know how long you have to wait for your drums if you order them RobertM - I had to wait 6 months for mine. I wish I'd got a bigger kick and I also wish I'd got two kicks. I'm considering ordering another when I have the money, maybe in a completely different size then running a double pedal on one of my bass drums and a single on the other so I can switch between double bass on both drums... Could even get a lefty double pedal for one and use my righty double pedal on the other. Could make for some interesting patterns and a big learning curve!!

The quote I got on the Recording Customs was 4-6 months. I'm getting a jazz setup with an 18" bass drum, so the dealers I've talked to have said that that configuration would most likely not be available in Yamaha's warehouses in the U.S. However, I was told that four months would be more likely.

I'm still debating between the Yamaha Absolute Birch (traditional lugs) and the RCs. I like both, both use the same shell, so it's a toss-up at this point. I've heard rumors that the RCs are a bit heavier because of the longer lugs, and that these lugs add more resonance-dampening weight to the shell. That's probably just a preference issue to the individual ear, or something verifiable via the Gatzen studies on drum shells, but both kits still sound good. The RCs have been around forever, though--there's no knocking them.

Either way, it is a long wait. I do not like the Nouveau lugs, so getting an Absolute Birch with traditional lugs will take just as long as the RCs.

It would be nice if the wait time could shorten to 2-3 months!

I attended a Christian rock festival this past weekend (Vertical Fest). About a dozen bands played (Pillar, Storyside:B, Building 429, etc.). Guess which kit the entire show featured? Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. Aydee, I swear the kit was in your finish. Beautiful looking kit on stage. The sound was full and warm, with plenty of low end. Yes, I'm sure the mic and sound system helped; but, what a pure sounding kit. One by one, each group's drummer played this kit as if it were their own. Each drummer brought his own snare and cymbals. But the basic kit was the Yammies. Made me very proud to own a set of MCA's ......

I attended a Christian rock festival this past weekend (Vertical Fest). About a dozen bands played (Pillar, Storyside:B, Building 429, etc.). Guess which kit the entire show featured? Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute. Aydee, I swear the kit was in your finish. .

I've tried to google my finish ( embossed silver ) and have come up with just one in some store catalogue. Its a pretty unusual finish. People either love it or hate it, so thats cool.
As in music, a strong reaction either way is preferable to a lukewarm one, always ; )

I'm not at all surprised at how good the festival kit sounded. Even with different drummers playing it.

After I got my heads and tuning sorted ( It took a while ), I've got these babies purring..and growling.

The low end on my 14" and 16"toms is unbelieveable. Its like thunder from the abyss. I've got them tuned to sustain their note ( this kit is unmiked ), so the thunder really rolls.

The 8" and 10" sing a really warm song and retain their warmth whether they are tapped or whacked...something I've never experienced in another kit. ( Including Dedubs ).

And the maple Bass drum was always perfect, no matter what head I used it with . Friends tell me Birch BDs are better with a maple kit, but I'm not complaining in the least.

You might have noticed I have'nt talked about my 12".......... Well, if everything was perfect then there would'nt have anything to look forward to, would it : )

Seriously , Golions, I think we deserve a pat on our backs for having made a really really good choice.

Last edited:

Anyone played the Akira Jimbo snare ? Sounds great on the Modern Drummer DVD....?

View attachment 14291

Speaking of Akira, I'm proud to say that most of the hardware I have on my kit came from the one he used during the gigs he did here two years ago. Just imagine: you pay the gear half the price because it's second hand but it's been used by Akira Jimbo. That's what I call a deal!

I SO would like to get a Maple Custom Absolute Nouveau kit in the midnight sparkle finish.
I base my choice on pics that I have seen though.
Has anyone seen a kit with that finish in person?

Back