Does anyone have experience with any of these snare drums?

GHOSTmammoth

Hey guys!
I'm gearing up to record a big budget full length album, I normally play between a Chad Smith and a Ludwig steel....The Ludwig is just a back up and is nothing I would record and the Chad Smith (while is super durable and sounds great) doesn't offer the range needed for the recording so I'm between a few that I don't have much experience with...

Pork Pie Rosewood Zebra Maple Snare Drum (6.5x14)

Pork Pie White Satin Little Squealer Snare Drum (5x14)

Gretsch Drums Full Range Maple Snare Drum with Wood Hoop Gloss Natural(6.5x14)

Mapex Black Panther Phat Bob Snare Drum (7x14)

PDP Maple Snare with Wood Hoops Natural (5.5X14)

Taye Drums StudioBirch Wood Hoop Snare Drum (6x14)

.....As you can see, I'd like to have something with wood hoops, if not...I'll prob just add my own.

Please let me know your thoughts on these snares!

Any wood hoop drum is going to offer a much fatter response than any steel hoop. To me if you are looking for a "do it all" snare I'd say something deeper (6"-7"). I don't know what your groups style is, but if you're looking at wood hoop drums I'd definitely take into account how hard you play i.e. how many rim shots you do. The "Yamaha style" hoops offer all of the benefits of wood hoops and are very open to punishment. The more classic "hide-a-hoop" style like on the Taye drum sound great and offer great sensitivity, but lack in durability and limit higher tunings because of such. Brass and stainless steel drums make fantastic recording drums, or if you're looking for a wood drum you can't go wrong with a maple drum (mind the thickness). Hope this helps!

can you please give the names of some records you want the drums to sound like, i.e. a snare drum sound you like.
or some producers, something, anything other than a load of random snare drums. chad smith snares are dire so i don't blame you for not using that.

Big budget, eh? Why not give the Drum Doctors a call and have them deliver a bunch of snares for you to use? Or rent from S.I.R.? You're bound to find something you like that will be record-ready. And the nice thing is, if you pay enough, they'll send somebody out with the stuff so they can monitor and take care of it while you're using it.

going by the link in his profile he isn't in LA, but instead in FL.
however it is a possibility the drum doctors could fly in, especially for a big budget album!

If you're going to rimshot every backbeat then wood hoops aren't your friend. They're a bit awkward to rimshot and metal rims just have better attack.

I recorded with a chad smith snare a few weeks ago and also a pearl free floater brass, you can hear them in the 'your playing' section.

Anyway, the chad smith wasn't bad to be honest but the thick brass shell was light years ahead. I am now salivating over thick cast shells and might revisit the idea of block/stave drums.

Back