Best drumming album of all time?

Yellowjackets - Blue Hats
song: Capetown.

I dare you guys figure out how to play the groove. It sound simple but dang it is hard.

41kdAHusoqL._AA280_.jpg

Porcupine Tree - In Absentia Gavin Harrison
Steely Dan - Aja Steve Gadd
Planet X - Moonbabies Virgil Donati
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire Billy Cobham

Honestly, there are too many different genres to really name one all time, but my absolute favorite is In Absentia. Harrison just knows what works with the song.

Just a few picks that have stayed with me leaving a lasting impression:

"Live at the Lighthouse" Elvin Jones

First heard this when I was 18 and changed my life forever and the way I thought about the drums and how they could be played as a ensemble instrument AND as a solo instrument. Every dynamic stroke in Elvin's playing is captured very well on this impressive live recording featuring two saxaphones and acoustic bass.

Between Rudy Van Gelder's amazing {as always} recorded drum sound and Elvin Jones exciting,dynamic ensemble playing and KILLER melodic/polyrhythmic extended solo on Sambra this is one recording that will always set the bar for pure Elvin live in a club at his best.

"Free For All" Art Blakey

Totally killer Art Blakey at the drum chair leading/driving the band and every track is a masterpiece in regards to both writing and jazz ensemble playing. Another milestone recording and a musically drum featured masterpiece.

"Tokyo" Tony Williams

Tony Williams best 90's quintet group recorded live. Enough amazing Tony playing featuring his own compositions complimented by a great recording and group playing and several excellent musical drum solos on double CD's to keep any late TW period listener pretty happy.

Just a mere samplier with MANY others I could mention. Don't even know if these are even in print or available anymore which if true would be a real shame since each in it's own way is a crowning achievement in modern drumming and jazz performance and ensemble playing with a heavy degree of masterful musical drumming that every serious lover of the drums should check out or have a copy of IMO.

i would have to go with "Deloused in the Comatorium" by the Mars Volta...
some really good drumming goin on there; which continues on to other albums of theirs

but also, Zeppelin IV i think is an obviously good album for drumming too, along with all the older zeppelin albums showing off Bonzo's power

(Anyways, this topic could be argued forever)

i would have to go with "Deloused in the Comatorium" by the Mars Volta...
some really good drumming goin on there; which continues on to other albums of theirs

but also, Zeppelin IV i think is an obviously good album for drumming too, along with all the older zeppelin albums showing off Bonzo's power

(Anyways, this topic could be argued forever)

Nah...

DB had it right in the very first post of this thread...

Rush - Moving Pictures (1981)

Argument over after post 1.

Play On! ;-)

I don't think this was ever an argument.

Too many favorites to list but here's a few.

Pat Travers - Go for what you know ( My favorite Aldridge stuff, some say it's sloppy but I think it's great, try imitating it ! )

Good one. I haven't heard that one in years. Excellent album. I liked Tommy best when he was with Pat T. I don't know about FAVORITE album, but very good.

""Free For All" Art Blakey

Totally killer Art Blakey at the drum chair leading/driving the band and every track is a masterpiece in regards to both writing and jazz ensemble playing. Another milestone recording and a musically drum featured masterpiece."

Yeah! I'll bring up my post again:

"I'm gonna throw one track:

Art Blakey's "Free For All" on the album "Free For All"

It was his "Don't forget about me!" track in '64 when Elvin and Tony were getting all the praise."

The reason I say "one track" is because he doesn't drum like that on the rest of the album....He *almost* gets there on that Freddie Hubbard tune (name escapes me right now but it's an acronym...track 4, I think)

And before seeing that, I was coming in here to say either "Mars Volta - Deloused..." and agreeing with Stoopid, or "Mars Volta - Frances the Mute" I think I go with Frances. Great drumming throughout. Maybe Deloused gets the nod just because when it came out I remember EVERYONE going "Holy crap! This band is awesome!"

Right now I'm just digging ANYTHING with Joey Baron on it. That man is an absolute monster, severely underrated. His playing with Masada is exquisite and the other side of his coin, Naked City is something that everyone has to listen to once. Just high-energy intensity like I haven't heard since Tony Williams. I'll also add to the Mars Volta advocates, although I've only got 'Deloused in the Comatorium' that is something special.

I'm taking back my initial recommendations and instead going with

Milford Graves - Grand Unification.

Pretty ridiculous for one guy. That man is working on another level.

""Free For All" Art Blakey

Totally killer Art Blakey at the drum chair leading/driving the band and every track is a masterpiece in regards to both writing and jazz ensemble playing. Another milestone recording and a musically drum featured masterpiece."

Yeah! I'll bring up my post again:

"I'm gonna throw one track:

Art Blakey's "Free For All" on the album "Free For All"

It was his "Don't forget about me!" track in '64 when Elvin and Tony were getting all the praise."

The reason I say "one track" is because he doesn't drum like that on the rest of the album....He *almost* gets there on that Freddie Hubbard tune (name escapes me right now but it's an acronym...track 4, I think)

Yes that first track on the record "Free For All" is a intense/musical display of Art really pushing the parameters of what many would have expected from him back then. Amazing Art and group performance.

The other track you are thinking about Erik is was the Freddie opener of side 2 of the original LP "The Core". Yes a little different from the album title track but another fine Art vehicle featuring yet more great group playing all around. First time I heard this at 18 I flipped with trying to take in the depth of what was taking place in the studio during this amazing group performance.

A milestone and important recording and must have for a serious drum and music collection and certainly on my short list for a desert island pic.

It's nothing really special but i love it... It's the new John Butler trio album; Grand National is alot of fun to drum along to, i've been along too it for about two or three months on and off... i know all the parts by now but it's really diverse and there's so much you can do with it. Michael Barker has inspired me too be really creative with parts even with a straight ahead beat there's always something you can do to it a extended fill, chop the beat up a little bit its good to get inventive.
Also the album helps me with my soloing (There is a lot of rolls and it can get quite technical underneath the seemingly easy-going beat)

I'm a little younger, so I gotta go with Carter Beauford on Dave Matthew's album Crash- like the band or not, he is amazing.

i know maybe its not the best but i like time out of dave brubeck quartet, improvising with all those odd time signatures is really entertaining

Back