Dude! Totally WICKED Double Bass drum set! It's red and black...

805Drummer

Gold Member
So, remember my last thread? When I got that PDP 805? It's been a couple months, and I have some new pictures.

I found these drums on Craigslist that I went to pick up, but the thing is, they were total crap. Except the people selling them recommended a local music store where everything is used. Used=dirt cheap.

I really hated how my only rack tom didn't mount on my bass drum, and it just hung off a cymbal stand clamp. So I mixed and matched some used drums from this music store, and found an AMAZING drum. An Pearl Export 22" bass drum with a STUNNING red to black fade finish. It even had an Aquarian Super Kick II on it! Perfect!

So now I needed two rack toms to mount on it. We looked in this giant room of drums (I wish I took more pictures, as there we MUCH MORE. The person who worked there found two black Export rack toms with a clamp, sizes 12 and 13." Excellent!

We bought new heads for the toms, because one of the heads was BEATEN UP. And I took the stock head off of my current rack tom and replaced it with the Evans one on one of my new ones.

Pictures!

My first kit (totally beginner):
PIC_1007.jpg

How it used to be (my first real kit):
PIC_1212.jpg

The crappy brandless Craigslist drums:
Pic0336.jpg

The store I went to:
Pic0339.jpg

The drums I found:
Pic0340.jpg

The beaten-up Evans (really old) drum head:
Pic0362.jpg

Before I put the other bass drum on (my old PDP 805 one):
Pic0357.jpg

And how it looks now....drum roll please....

Pic0361.jpg

Specs!

Picture4.png

You sure have a small menagerie of drums now, and not to be a killjoy, but is it really about having a forest of drums around you? I'm not going to knock on you for what you want to do. It sounds like you have a lot of fun playing the big set and that's the only thing that matters. I do remember when there was a time when all I wanted was more and more drum gear before I realized that there are more important things to drumming. Either way, enjoy your drums.

You sure have a small menagerie of drums now, and not to be a killjoy, but is it really about having a forest of drums around you? I'm not going to knock on you for what you want to do. It sounds like you have a lot of fun playing the big set and that's the only thing that matters. I do remember when there was a time when all I wanted was more and more drum gear before I realized that there are more important things to drumming. Either way, enjoy your drums.

You are being a killjoy. I've been playing for 7 years on a tiny little Tama Stagestar and Yamaha DD-55, and I deserve this. Sure, the drums aren't professional, but for a 14 year old, it's not bad. I love it. Look at the finish on the Pearl bass drum!

This will all change very soon. Are you using single pedal on each drum?

It would change very soon, if I had the money to upgrade. However, I don't. And I can't even afford another pedal. Only the Pearl bass drum has a pedal, not the PDP.

You are being a killjoy. I've been playing for 7 years on a tiny little Tama Stagestar and Yamaha DD-55, and I deserve this. Sure, the drums aren't professional, but for a 14 year old, it's not bad. I love it. Look at the finish on the Pearl bass drum!

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as trying to be sincerely mean. Like I said, the most important thing is that you enjoy playing the drums.

Sorry, I hope I didn't come off as trying to be sincerely mean. Like I said, the most important thing is that you enjoy playing the drums.

It's alright. Do you have any recommendations for some ultra (and I mean ULTRA) cheap upgrades for my set? The first thing to go is my crappy Paiste PST 3 cymbals. They served my well until I got the Pearl Export drums, and now it just sounds like crap.

It's alright. Do you have any recommendations for some ultra (and I mean ULTRA) cheap upgrades for my set? The first thing to go is my crappy Paiste PST 3 cymbals. They served my well until I got the Pearl Export drums, and now it just sounds like crap.

The cheapest way to get high-quality gear is to buy used. Both my ride cymbals and my hi-hats (all pro-level and great sounding) were bought used, and each one cost me only about $150. Look on eBay and craiglilst. Always check to make sure there isn't any damage like cracks or keyholing.

No offense, but what's the purpose of having a bassdrum in your setup and not being able to play it? I am glad you are happy with your set but you might find that not everybody on the forum thinks your set is "totally wicked"... "dude".

no offense but this doesn't make NAY sense... the two bassdrums wouldn't sound same, so no double bassing, and this just looks crappy for me... but really no offense...

Yeah, I'm with pretty much everyone else in here. I don't really like Frankenstein sets, and Pearl Export is about the worst name brand kit out there...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, I would set the original PDP back up by itself. It would look a lot better, and probably play a lot better in the end.

Also, you said that you hate that the rack tom on the PDP isn't mounted on the bass drum...but that's the best thing you can have. It's called a virgin bass drum, and people pay a lot of extra money to get that.

For the cash you spent on the Exports and stuff, you could have gotten some decent upgrades for your kit.

Yeah, I'm with pretty much everyone else in here. I don't really like Frankenstein sets, and Pearl Export is about the worst name brand kit out there...I'm not trying to be a jerk, but if I were you, I would set the original PDP back up by itself. It would look a lot better, and probably play a lot better in the end.

Also, you said that you hate that the rack tom on the PDP isn't mounted on the bass drum...but that's the best thing you can have. It's called a virgin bass drum, and people pay a lot of extra money to get that.

For the cash you spent on the Exports and stuff, you could have gotten some decent upgrades for your kit.

Oh, sorry! I forgot to post the price of the Exports! $200! Used! And they don't even look used!

Anyways, I know it's nice to have the virgin bass drum, however, it's too big for me. I'm so short that I can't play the tom on top of it. Plus, all the fills I've ever learned have been on two rack toms.

I know, it's not the best setup, but it totally works for me. Plus, I changed it a little bit. Pics soon!

no offense but this doesn't make NAY sense... the two bassdrums wouldn't sound same, so no double bassing, and this just looks crappy for me... but really no offense...

1. The pictures were crappy. I just didn't feel like taking my nice camera out.

2. It's not the best, but for $200, it was a STEAL.

3. I took the PDP bass drum off, because it's easier to play like that.

The cheapest way to get high-quality gear is to buy used. Both my ride cymbals and my hi-hats (all pro-level and great sounding) were bought used, and each one cost me only about $150. Look on eBay and craiglilst. Always check to make sure there isn't any damage like cracks or keyholing.

Yeah, I check Craigslist every day. The Pearl Export drums I got were used, they just don't look like it (partly because I bought new heads).

No offense, but what's the purpose of having a bassdrum in your setup and not being able to play it? I am glad you are happy with your set but you might find that not everybody on the forum thinks your set is "totally wicked"... "dude".

Except I'm not one of those "adults" who makes "money." I buy stuff out of $5.50 a week in allowance.

You certainly are a character. You've been playing for 7 years?

Well the set does look goofy...and surely having a bass drum u cant play in the setup is foolish...plus the drums cant be tuned the same so double bass isnt an option...to look a little more professional and maybe avoid some sarcastic and rude comments from other onlooking drummers try and setting up one bass drum and ditch the smallest tom...then ud have a better looking setup and a more logical setup...but in the end if ur having fun and u like it than thats what matters....and what i mean by avoiding those comments is that some drummers (not the ones on here) are real jerks...ive had drummers who were just terrible tell me that my kit sucked and that i sucked...i didnt care cuz i knew i was better than them but it sure is annoying and sometimes i get really aggravated and just wanna knock em out...but i just let them embarass themselves by talking crap when they themselves are terrible drummers...thats just my two cents if u care to take it into consideration

All that matters man is if you like it and you can play on it.

Its not really my cup of tea but hell Im a picky person.

Dont give up on the craigslist thing for cymbals or drums.

Ive bought vintage new beats, a vintage 22" A medium ride, and a fairly new 16" thin crash all for around $330.

not to mention my ludwig set for $400.

you could probably even find another pedal for cheap.

You just have to wait, thats the key.

oh and by the way i had a question.

is that a marching snare drum in the second to last picture?

Oh yeah, it is. I got it from a person on Craigslist for $20. It's a Yamaha sFz, which retails for $400. I would sell it, but the seller's market isn't very good now.

Back