YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM. new heads?

willamf

hey guys, i've been drumming for about 2 and a half years now and i recently bought a yamaha stage custom advantage at my local pawn shop, for about 900 AUSD. and what i was wondering.. i mean, i'm not the best tuner in the world, but i know the drums are cabable of sounding alot better than they are right now. i still have the stock heads on them, because i'm not sure what type of head to invest in. i play mostly rock, tending to the slightly heavier side, and i want something to make my toms have pretty decent attack. i've been leaning more towards remo pinstripes, but i'm still not quite sure. okay, thanks guys. =D

OH , and i may aswell add a pic up, tell me what you think. :)
cimg4666.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

Nice kit, I have played that kit with G2 clear heads and it sounds awesome. The G2 would have more overtones than a Pinstripe. If you are unsure of what tone you are after, just imagine the G2 would be in the middle between the stock heads and the Pinstripe and would have more "attack" than a Pinstripe. Assuming the stock heads are single ply. ??

hey, thanks. yeah the stock heads are single ply by remo. not much of anything on them really.. i can hardly get them to resonate at all, and they just sound, well, weak. my first interest before the pinstripes was the EC2's. how do they differ from the G2's?

EC2's are similar to pinstripes as they have an overtone ring built into them. I've heard guys say that the EC2's don't sound as dead as a pinstripe does. In reality if you really want your drums to sound better you will need to replace both the batter and the reso side. I'd go for a clear g2 or remo emperor over a clear G1 or ambassador. IF you are concerned about how this combo will sound get whichever evans or remo combo you prefer and buy it for one drum and try them out.

Hey dude,

I have also a stage custom advantage nouveau actually, sizes 12,13,14,16,22.

I'm using EC2 on toms and i strongly recommend them for rock or metal style. I haven't tried any other head but i don't see the reason to try. EC2s are wonderfull, powerfull, you gonna love them for rock.

They won't disapoint you.

Cheers

Hey dude,

I have also a stage custom advantage nouveau actually, sizes 12,13,14,16,22.

I'm using EC2 on toms and i strongly recommend them for rock or metal style. I haven't tried any other head but i don't see the reason to try. EC2s are wonderfull, powerfull, you gonna love them for rock.

They won't disapoint you.

Cheers

The reason to try other heads is to see what they might offer in the way of tone and feel for your kit. that's the great thing about this art, there are so many options and exploring those options opens up a whole new world of sound and feel

I have your exact kit and just a few days ago reoutfitted mine with the Pinstripe pack offered on musiciansfriend.com. IMO for rock, funk, and R&B it is the best you can buy. Buy well my friend!

welcome to the forum man!

sounds like your heads are old and dead, and before i say anything about batters - please replace your reso's as well - it really makes all the difference.

i play the new Stage Custom Birch - are the older models birch as well?, coated G2's on top and clear G1's bottom - sound excellent with the heavy rock i play, also heard many good things about the EC2's though too, so you'll probably make out good whichever way you go, good luck!

I have your exact kit and just a few days ago reoutfitted mine with the Pinstripe pack offered on musiciansfriend.com. IMO for rock, funk, and R&B it is the best you can buy. Buy well my friend!

While I agree that Pinstripes work well on the Stage Custom, be wary of buying Remo packages of heads...as in multiple heads in a pack. I've heard rumors of quality control being less discretionary for the packs than for individual heads.

My gigging kit is a stage custom set that sounds really great with Remo powerstroke 3s on all the toms,and i still have the stock bottom heads on them..........

I also own a Stage Custom kit. For your set up I would recommend Evans G2s over G1s - over what I have tried this combination gave the best overall results. EC2 batters will sound too dead if your toms are mounted off the kick like on the picture...

Evans G2 coated over Evans G1 clear. And flatten out those toms so that something beside the point of the stick hits the heads. This picture is a candidate for the Tom Angles thread.

I experiment on the Stage Custom. Best heads: G2 Clear over G1 Clear.

Back