DW Kit (need help identifying)

johnbarnesiii

Hello,

I just purchased a used DW kit online from Guitar Center. It was advertised as Performer series but older model. However, I think they made an error, as it just arrived today and it looks different than what was advertised. The performance series I've seen in stores look different. This kit is solid black wrap.

Can you help me identify the kit? The badge numbers are in order. You can see where the black wrap ends, a sliver of wood can be seen (see pic). Is this an original wrap?

Any info you can give me would be greatly appreciated, more detail the better. Like approximate year and approximate value too.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    153 KB · Views: 984
  • IMG_0779.JPG
    IMG_0779.JPG
    120.2 KB · Views: 850
  • IMG_0780.JPG
    IMG_0780.JPG
    170.4 KB · Views: 885
  • IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 867
  • IMG_0782.JPG
    IMG_0782.JPG
    189.6 KB · Views: 855
  • IMG_0785.JPG
    IMG_0785.JPG
    164.8 KB · Views: 856
  • IMG_0786.JPG
    IMG_0786.JPG
    122.6 KB · Views: 846
Last edited:
Those look like the 90's badges that were on Keller shelled Collectors.

Hmmm. Can't be that old, if it is a Performance series. They just kinda came out.
Can you read the DW badge? Typically it will say Collectors Series or Performance Series.

They downsized the lugs to about Quarter size too. If the badges do not tell you which model it is, give DW a call. You'll need the number inside the shells so they can ID it for you.

Good luck. Looks like a nice set!

Phone: 800-45-DRUMS (800-453-7867)

Edit: 2nd what jkevn said about the Keller era. Those Tom mounts are on older models.

Thanks boys. I e-mailed DW and they agree that yes an older Collector kit.

Some more questions:
1) Would you happen to know the approximate value of this kit?
2) Also is this older Collector series better than the Performance series (and more valuable)?
3) Finally, would the drums in this collectors kit be timbre matched?
4) Is there a way to tell if the black wrap is DW original or custom altered?

Thanks boys. I e-mailed DW and they agree that yes an older Collector kit.

Some more questions:
1) Would you happen to know the approximate value of this kit? What are the sized of the shells ?2) Also is this older Collector series better than the Performance series (and more valuable)? Yes they would be more valuable than the Performance series3) Finally, would the drums in this collectors kit be timbre matched? Yes they would be -look for the note stamped on the inside of the shells4) Is there a way to tell if the black wrap is DW original or custom altered?
Remove the hoops and se if the wrap has bee cut back at the seam to facilitate drum heads - no one else does that with their wraps to my knowledge other than DW

Thanks Rick!

The sizes are:
22" kick (x 16 I think)
14" snare (x 5.5 I think)
16" floor tom (x 14 I think)
12" rack tom (x 9 I think)
13" rack tom (x 10 possibly)

Not 100% on the depths, but let me know if you'd be able to help with approximate value based on these sizes. Thanks!

Anyone else know around how much this kit is worth (ballpark range)?
And in the sliver of a crease where the warp ends you can see a hint of the natural wood (see pic) is that normal?
Also how can I tell what type of shell it is (standard, vlt, etc)??

Thanks!

Anyone else know around how much this kit is worth (ballpark range)?
Also how can I tell what type of shell it is (standard, vlt, etc)??

Thanks!

DW stuff (especially in the UK) is difficult to price, as people's estimations of value vary wildly. However if it was offered to me I'd pay around £1500 ($2200ish).

As far as shells, Keller kits are way before VLT etc. It'll be horizontal maple ply.

Thanks AJ.

So about the wrap, is the area where the wrap ends and you see a tiny hint of wood underneath normal for DW (see pic)?

Attachments

• IMG_0781.JPG
    IMG_0781.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 799
Agree with the others that is an older Keller-made Collector's set. I used to have a DW snare from that era with the same badge in a black lacquer.

In those sizes, if it is in good condition, I would guess you could probably get ~$800-$1000 on Craigslist or the like.

The shells are going to be standard maple with the re-rings. VLT, X-Shells and all that other stuff is unique to DWs once they started making their own shells.

DW hardware and finishes have always been top notch, but it’s hard to compare the black badge Keller era kits to the DW made ones of the last ~10 years.

Thanks AJ.

So about the wrap, is the area where the wrap ends and you see a tiny hint of wood underneath normal for DW (see pic)?

I have seen older DWs that were butt-jointed wraps, and you might be dealing with a bit of shrinkage given the age of the kit. The stamped clawhooks, RIMS mounts, dull black tom bracket and overall condition suggest early, early 90's. I'm not sure about timbre matching, but I know John Good didn't get around to F.A.S.T. depths until about 1995, and STM and FTS showed up around the same time. So did woofers. I'll guess your rack toms are either 8x12 and 9x13 or 10x12 and 11x13. The bass drum looks like 14x22 and the "floor" tom looks like a 16x16.

Thanks Mike, I'm gonna measure the depths tonight. Your info helps a lot.

I was hoping the kick would be deeper. Not sure if I'm goona end up keeping this kit b/c I thought it was a Performance series and liked the sizes of those shell packs a bit better.

We'll see what Guitar Center says about discounting the price, or maybe even letting me return it to New York.

I do like piano black better than Black Mirra personally tho. Its more classic.

I'm confused. If anything, going from Performance to Collectors is an upgrade, and to some people, the Keller-era DWs are more desirable than the new ones. I'm not sure where your disappointment is coming from.

I guess its mainly that the kick is smaller in depth than they told me over the phone. I think its a 14" depth where i'm used to 18" depth. Again, I like the sizes of the Performance series a bit better, so I guess all in all it wasn't what I was expecting. But I get your point and don't get me wrong I'm stoked to try this kit out, I'm sure it will sound great.

Maybe I can look for an 18" deep DW kick in black to match, for shows & recordings. Do you guys think its ok to mix & match a drum like that, in terms of timbres & such?

I don't think Performance kits ever came in 12/13/16 configurations, and a 13 isn't even available as an add-on. Oh well, that's how we educate ourselves on these things. FWIW, I'd way rather have a 14" deep kick than an 18" (I had an 18 that I finally had cut down to a 14). All this to say that I think you scored a better kit than what you thought you were getting!

Thanks Mike, I think you're right!
I love that it has re-rings which my kit previous didn't, so I really can't wait to try it out.

I used to play a 24"x18" kick and then a 22"x18" kicks so I'm not sure if 14" will work for me but I'm willing to try. If not I can always buy a used 18" deep DW kick.

Do you think its ok to mix & match like that, in terms of timbres & such?

On closer look, I think it may even be 80s.
Also I measured the depths last night here are the official sizes:

22x16 kick
14x6 snare
16x16 floor tom
12x8 rack tom
13x9 rack tom

There is a number stamped on this inside of the shells: 2637

Back