Affected by stick length?

Stick weights and lengths both have a big impact on my playing. I find that I can adjust to any stick, but it's not automatic by any stretch; I have to spend some time with a different type of stick before I get comfortable with it. But I do eventually adapt and then the sticks I used to be comfortable with start to feel funny. I'm assuming that the little fulcrum micro-adjustments I make need to be reprogrammed for the different stick types, but it's something that I've done enough that my hands seem to be able to work it out subconsciously over a period of time.

I'm a Vic Firth 5A guy at this point, and I find those sticks work for me in any musical setting. I used to bring multiple sizes to gigs but I find that the difficulty in adjusting from one size to the other renders it more of a hindrance than an advantage. So, I stick with the one size for everything.

YES.
I never thought of the length because "everything" is 16" give or take.
I haven't liked longer than 16" though.

A while ago, I started to feel like something was not "right" with any stick after a while of using them. Tried this, then tried this etc...
Couldn't put my finger on it....There was just something.

I really like the balance of double butt sticks, and since I did snare drum for so long as a kid, with lessons and all that (with 2B's), I could control the dynamics easily with them since they were smaller diam than a 5B or 2B anyway.

A few months ago, I started cutting a bit at a time, and I ended up with a 14 7/8 being my perfect length.
The diam is .572

When I chopped these sticks down, it felt like I could do whatever I wanted (was able to pull off), and it was super comfortable right away.
I have cut down my regular tip sticks down also, and those are about 15 7/16. So, it's not just the double butt sticks the cutting down worked for.

I also found that, where it was most comfortable for me to hold the sticks (considering balance, bounce blahblahblah), that buy cutting some off (where it sat in my hand), I really didn't loose me much at all in the length the stick had (past my hand) when it was longer.

The stick then really became and extension of my hand. With this shorter length, it's been very cool.

now, we´re talking. i´ve asked here several times about what i sense(d) in my mind that i needed - a double butted synthetic stick that is 2B-ish and slightly longer than 16¨. i thought about having some custom made, and several suggestions were offered by forum members. Alien Freaks were mentioned most often. when i finally got around to purchasing, the Sam Ash dude recommended Ahead Studio Hybrid AB. absolutely perfect choice.

Ha interesting topic.

I've just been given some rocks or maybe 2B and I just can't play them. I prefer Fusions (Vater) or 5A VicFirth (surely the nearest there is to a standard stick). I don't like over-long sticks - I find they just get in the way. However, if you play any stick long enough you'll probably adjust your technique to compensate.

So maybe your technique fits the stick and if you dramatically change your stick you will have to start all over again. Just thinking out loud!

Davo

I'm AVH and been affected by stick length.....aaarrrhhh! :)

Attachments

• van-halen-121.jpg
    van-halen-121.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:
UPDATE: So I went down to the local Guitar Center today and looked for basically some sticks that are just fatter than my usual Vic Firth 5A or Vater Los Angeles models and found the Vic Firth Corpsmaster MS4 Magnum (I swear if it's marching stuff the model names sound like you're buying firearms....). These might work, they feel really good.

But good God - $19 a pair! My Vaters and VF 5A's I buy in a brick of 12 pairs for $80! I know these marching sticks take up a bit more wood but really, $20 worth? Good grief!

I bought two pairs anyway....who can put a price on art? Never thought I'd try a marching stick to play beats on a drumset, but what the heck....

You should try here, Bo - $24 is standard at the shops (and at $US1.06) ... for skinny little 7As too.

Gee Pol, everything I've learned from you Australians indicates that it sucks being a musician down there! Your cost of living must be higher than it is in the States if everything is significantly higher!

That's why is expensive because it´s...downunder! ;^)

...just like an Aussie kiss! same as a French one but...downunder!!!

I use sticks that are 16 inches long because if the stick is longer it won't fit on the 16" tom and will roll off when I switch to brushes. I guess I'm affected by stick length, eh?

Gee Pol, everything I've learned from you Australians indicates that it sucks being a musician down there! Your cost of living must be higher than it is in the States if everything is significantly higher!

Ha- the system really isn't set up for musicians here - business and sports, yes - but not the yarts. Cost of living is higher but the wages are probably higher too. I buy online from the US when I can, tho it can be awkward because deliveries are made during working hours. I came home from work one day to find a box with a $400 Trick pedal (would cost $700+ here) sitting outside my back door!

Sorry in advance for the really long post. I suppose I am truly "Affected by stick length?"

I just came across this thread and read it through. It reminded me of a thread topic from before, so I decided to search for the thread. I wanted to see if my previous stick opinions are still true.

My favorite sticks right now are some old Trueline Rebound 2Bs that I've had a couple of pair of for about 3 years!?!

They're nice and fat 2Bs with a small ball tip and real thick shoulder. They're heavy, and I've beat the crap out of heavy crashes with them quite a bit in the last few years and they look barely worn. They're like the cockroach of drumsticks. I can't exterminate them.

So anyway, I was going to pipe in with the stick length of the Truelines and I don't have one at the house to measure. When I googled it, this DW thread came up from over two years ago.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-45328.html

I was really surprised to read my post in the thread and realize that I used to be much more fond of lighter sticks.

TTNW posted 02-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Here's a review of some sticks I have tried in the last year. I will preface this review by saying that I have been on a heavy duty "change up" kick in the last year. I play a different set up every time I play out and I change my set up in my practice room weekly.

Gadd Sigs - Nylons and Wood tips. I like the weight, balance and feel. The tip is decent when the stick is new. My oldest pair are so worn that the tips are tiny now. I use them now when I want a beefy 7A kind of feel in a 5A size.

Ahead 7A - Nylon tip. I bought these 4 years ago. I take them out once every few months, play with them for 10 minutes and then put them away. I refer to them as my "last chance" sticks. If I could only bring one pair of sticks on a USO tour in combat areas... unbreakable but mediocre sounding.

Regal Tips 5A, 7A - Nylons and Wood tips. I like the finish. The 7As are quick and sound better to me with the nylon tips. The 5As are a great stick. I always like playing with these sticks and I keep a pair in my main stick grab bag.

Trueline - 2B Rebounds - A great rock stick. Virtually unbreakable. Great big fat shoulder with a little tip. I only use these when I want to be loud and play my hats sloshy and crash/ride a lot. Not often.

Trueline 2B - Nylon tips - These are the Truelines with the fatter grip in the handle. Good stick with nice balance but just too much. I did use these more often when I was playing regularly with a band and many of the songs we did would start out soft and end at jet-engine volumes. This stick is overkill.

Trueline 5B - Nylon and Wood tipss - These are my second favorite stick of all time (so far). Great weight, perfect balance. I prefer the wood tips to the nylons but I like the drastic change in sound that switching gives me. Very smoky stick hits on the ride with the wood tips and bright and cutting with the nylons. Billy Ward turned me on to these sticks and I play with these sticks a couple of times a week.

Obviously, I am a fan of the Truelines. It took a little getting used to the grip of these sticks but once I found a weight that I liked, I was hooked.

Sound Percussion 5A - These are my favorite sticks that I have played in the last 5 years. I bought 20 pairs for $20 about 5 years ago and I have 4 pairs left. I got them at GC and since then, they have been discontinued. They are designated 5As but they feel like 5Bs. They are made of "lesser than" wood and they almost feel soft. You can take a fingernail and make a mark in them. They have a long fat shoulder with hardly any taper. The big fat acorn tip like a big fat bullet sitting on the shoulder. They feel ridiculously light for their thickness and length. I put a good thick wrap of stick tape on them to give them a little more weight and they sound great with thin cymbals. The stick gives, the cymbals give and it's all like butter...

I can't stand the feel of thin sticks these days. I like the feel of shorter 5Bs or 2Bs. I can play very quietly with either.

I went searching in the basement and found an old stick bag that has one pair of the old light but fat Sound Percussions and one more pair of Truelines.

They don't make these anymore so soon I will be on a stick quest again.

BTW, the Trueline Rebound 2Bs are 15.50 inches, so I guess that's my current favorite length.

Ha- the system really isn't set up for musicians here - business and sports, yes - but not the yarts. Cost of living is higher but the wages are probably higher too. I buy online from the US when I can, tho it can be awkward because deliveries are made during working hours. I came home from work one day to find a box with a $400 Trick pedal (would cost $700+ here) sitting outside my back door!

Pol - I've had some success buying from this site: http://www.musicianswarehouse.com.au/ - they're run by Billy Hydes / Allans, so you're still giving money to The Man, but generally sticks are significantly cheaper (if they're in stock). Hope that helps.

Yes it definitely maeks a difference.

Always takes me a little while to get used to the new length.

Although saying that I've never played with anything too extreme nto treally sure what the point of them is.

Sam

I've just got a pair of Pro-Mark 747's, Neil Peart.

They are fractionally longer, and for me it makes a big difference. I can really feel it.

Back