I'm going to see Billy Cobham live!

8Mile

Platinum Member
I've led a pretty charmed musical existence, getting to see most of my heroes play live at one time or another. But I've never seen Billy Cobham perform live, one of my great regrets up until now.

But on April 18, that will change! Billy's Spectrum 40 band will be performing in Detroit and I just bought two tickets.

Man, am I fired up for this. One of my musical idols, up close and personal.

Can't wait for this!

Awesome!! Congrats..he is one of the all time greats. You'll remember it forever.

I take it they'll be playing the entire Spectrum album? This might be something to see!

Yep, it's the Spectrum 40 band. That means Gary Husband, who contributes to Drummerworld quite often, will be there, too!

I saw Gary on drums with Allan Holdsworth many years ago and it was one of the most memorable shows of my life. The fact Gary is also a virtuoso on keyboards is incredible.

Yep, it's the Spectrum 40 band. That means Gary Husband, who contributes to Drummerworld quite often, will be there, too!

I saw Gary on drums with Allan Holdsworth many years ago and it was one of the most memorable shows of my life. The fact Gary is also a virtuoso on keyboards is incredible.

Thanks for this posting! I looked Billy up and they will be at the Catalina Bar and grill on April 24-26! I got two tickets for the 24th. I'm excited. I haven't seen him in person either! And for it to be this album - that's even better!

I saw him do a Tama drum clinic back in the 80's and then only a couple of weeks ago when he and his band played Ronnie Scott's. I wasn't there in person- it was livestreamed, but was great- he has certainly lost none of his ability! An old aquaintance, Steve Hamilton, (his dad taught my brother guitar) plays keyboards with Billy (not on the spectrum tour though, that'll be Gary Husband). Steve once told me that I really swing. And now he plays with a drumming giant. I quite like that!

I also saw BC at a clinic in the 80s. I was just a kid at the time, but he basically struck me as a really nice guy who also happened to be a great drummer. Enjoy the show!

I saw him in the early 70's in a really great venue (2500 seats with a revolving stage in the center). He was the coolest drummer I'd ever seen. There was so much sound coming from the kit and he wasn't even breaking a sweat. From that moment, I wanted to play like that but, I didn't put the work into it.

If I recall correctly, I believe I read in a "Zildjian Cymbal Set-ups" book years ago, that he was using a 26" swish cymbal and that was that "cah" sound he made popular. I so wanted one of those! Can you believe that? 26 inch swish madness!

It would be cool if he had one that big at these shows!

Jazz Cafe at Music Hall in Detroit is the venue. Impossibly beautiful place. Very intimate.

blog-011.jpg

IMG_4105-666x500.jpg

Alright guys, I'm in.

Sunday, April 19th @ SPACE in Evanston, IL. Probably the best listening room in Chicago.

I'll be seeing Robben Ford there the previous week on April 16th.

I bought Spectrum on cassette when I was a kid and listened to it over and over again on my Walkman (how many people remember those? ;-).

This will actually be my first time seeing him as well. I'm super excited!!!!

Alright guys, I'm in.

Sunday, April 19th @ SPACE in Evanston, IL. Probably the best listening room in Chicago.

I'll be seeing Robben Ford there the previous week on April 16th.

I bought Spectrum on cassette when I was a kid and listened to it over and over again on my Walkman (how many people remember those? ;-).

This will actually be my first time seeing him as well. I'm super excited!!!!

Walkman? I had the vinyl album and never even had a cassette player (we had a big ol' reel-to-reel)! Walkman indeed!

Walkman? I had the vinyl album and never even had a cassette player (we had a big ol' reel-to-reel)! Walkman indeed!

Yeah man, with the Walkman, I could listen to it while mowing lawns (which is how I earned the money to buy the Walkman, BTW). Portable tunes! Amazing technology, eh? ;-)

And....I could play along with the Walkman without having to worry about it skipping. How cool is that? Ugh, I feel like such an old guy.

But yeah, can't wait to see Billy!

I've led a pretty charmed musical existence, getting to see most of my heroes play live at one time or another. But I've never seen Billy Cobham perform live, one of my great regrets up until now.

But on April 18, that will change! Billy's Spectrum 40 band will be performing in Detroit and I just bought two tickets.

Man, am I fired up for this. One of my musical idols, up close and personal.

Can't wait for this!

Lucky man! Alas not coming near St. Louis. He is one of my favorites and I have never seen him! Enjoy.

Back