Characteristics of Walnut

darknessdude16

I've recently been looking at the Black Panther range of snares, in particular the Walnut series.

And i'm curious, what characteristics do Walnut drums have against say, maple or birch?

I'd primarily prefer info on snare and the BP's if possible but any Walnut shell info would be great?

Cheers

Adam

From what i've read:similar to maple but a little drier in tone.

I own a Mapex saturn with the maple/walnut snare.Its a very thin shell so is quite resonant for a wood shell.To me at least it feels as though it has more of a rounded darker tone than just straight maple but who know's how much having both woods makes a difference. i find the toms and kick feel alot bigger than they actually are if that makes sense the 22 inch kick espically sound pretty monstrous.i also noticed the walnut snare are a bit thicker than the maple 8.5mm instead of 5.1mm which makes a big difference to.

found this to has sound files which is cool(but who knows the heads and the tuning)

http://usa.mapexdrums.com/drums/blackpanther/index.asp

Hope this helps a bit.

Walnut is an hard wood with tonal characteristic from low to mid freq. It offer a dark, warm and mellow round tone with good amount projection.

Back