What do you put in your bass drum?

Varies.. sometimes a blanket, sometimes a small pillow or coushin, occasionally nothing. I'm tending to find it depends on the venue, sound I want, etc. I certainly don't worry about putting things in their as long as it sounds good. I think it'd be daft not to put anything in there just for the sake of calling yourself some kind of purist ;-)

If i have to put anything in the bass drum i use the Simon Phillips "rolled towel" technique.

I second Muckster's comment about Simon Phillips rolled towel technique. I am currently testing some other things out (I'm always testing something out on my kit), but Simon's towel technique has had the best sonic results in my 22"x18".

Bobdadruma's rack is the greatest and looks so friggin' cool. With that wine, he could serve cheese on a cymbal! However, I would like to take his idea and somehow make it work as a cooler, since I'm more of a beer drinker myself.

Pillow(s), decently full. I like the dead-clicky bass sound.

--------------------------------

You win. That is fantastic. I've been struggling find low, cool places to store my wine. I never knew the answer was right in front of me all along.

If i have to put anything in the bass drum i use the Simon Phillips "rolled towel" technique.

My rolled muffler is the "outside" version of Simon's towel.

kicksclose.jpg

PA270124.jpg

He really liked the sound of my bass drum (and kit)... "f*#king great" was the exact quote haha!

meSimon1.jpg

I also put nothing in my 20" bass drum. Coated Powerstroke 3 batter head, stock Taye reso with kickport. I get a very fat yet tight sound, no boominess. Switching to Powerstroke 3 on my bass was the biggest improvement I have ever done to my drum kit.

On my yamaha kit a ps3 batter and ebony reso with a piece of felt on the batter head about a 1/3 of the way up from the floor. Nothing else in the drum

On my DW kit stock head which have the ported reso and the dw pillow that's included with the kit. Still great low end even with that pillow in there.

Ludwig power collar (clear) on the batter, Ludwig vintage logo power collar on the reso and nothing but air in between

Reading through the reply's...anyone using nothing in the bass drum only mentions sound and not feel but in my opinion feel goes hand in hand with sound. I think most drummers that put something in the bass drum do it for improving the feel. A bass drum will sound sweet without anything in it assuming it's tuned well with the proper heads but never feels just right even with pre-muffled heads and nothing in it. That's my take on it :)

Back