Those hair raising moments in drumming

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
I guess we all have our favorite musical moments with regards to drumming.

Lets have your examples?

A few of mine:

The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger
The snare flam on 4 when the song goes from half time feel to normal feel.
Why? Sting is building the song up on the bass by going to normal feel a few bars before and you know something wonderful is going to happen -)
And it does in the simplest, tastiest, classiest way possible!
In addition the song is great and the drum sound is right up my alley.

The Rolling Stones - Rock and a Hard Place.
When Charlie hits the china on 1 in the 3rd bar after the guitar solo.
Why? It sound so powerful and that small guy is really smacking it.

Michael Bolton - When A Man Loves A Woman
That fill after the break near the end of the song.
I remember hearing that song for the first time on the radio and immediately thinking there is only one drummer that could do this fill. Got the record and confirmed that it was the one and only Jeff Porcaro.
Great drum sound too.

the mandala solo on Right in Two

The drum entry in 'Resolution' by John Coltrane on 'A Love Supreme'. I'm not sure I've ever heard anything quite as stunning.

The outro to seven days by Sting- it just baffles me every single time!
So technical and clever but by no means over the top.
Perfect mix of technique and taste

the snare drum march intro on "Tommy the Cat" by Primus
sounds so aggressive yet funky

the drum intro on "Peaches en Regalia", very evocative and epic!!

"Llama" by Phish, the intro is a blazing rock beat, and there's this sick kick snare rolling after one of the guitar solos that takes the tune to a whole 'nother level.

the drum break on Curtis Mayfield's "Move on Up"

"Punky Raggae Party" by Marely (the live version on "Babylon by Bus"). Carlton Barret comes with the broken, dotted hi hat pattern and the audience starts clapping instantaneously...such chemistry within the band and between them and the audience. on a side note, the audience fills in with some call and response, so sweeeeet.

"All Along the Watch Tower" when Hendrix belts "AND THE WIND BEGAN TO HOWL", and Mitch Mitchell drops a fuggin' bomb with a little "BUGGA DUGGA DOO DOO BAGGA DIGGA BAGADAHDOMP"

I have a few, far too many to list here, but there's some that I love:

Billy Cobham: "Red Baron" and "Stratus" from Spectrum

Vinnie Colaiuta: "Seek and You Will Find" with Gino Vanelli and "Cowboys and Indians" with Nik Kershaw

Steve Gadd: "Electric Rendez-Vous" with Al Di Meola and "Fifty Ways To Leave Your lovers" with Paul Simon

Simon Phillips: "We're Not In Kansas" with Big Country and any tracks from Hiromi Trio Project "Voice"

Jack White: "Die Another Day", 007 soundtrack from Quantum Of Solace

Peter Erksine: "Erskoman" from Motion Poet

Michael Walden: "Led Boots" with Jeff Beck

Dave Weckl: "Designer Subtle"

.... and many, many more. :)

I have another one. 'Piram' by Masada from 'Sanhedrin'. Joey Baron is playing some manner of very dark, very dead cymbal and it sounds just fantastic throughout.

Maybe obvious but when the drums start in "Whole lotta love" (let me know if you dont know who this song is by). Simple 16ths but so huge. Its thunder. Play it really loud like 10 times in a row..

Going to listen to every suggestion above.

Vinnie Colaiuta: "Heavy Resin" from Karizma Document, "Raju" from the Five Piece Band record and the whole Sting live in Oslo concert.

Toss Panos: "I'm Buzzed" from Michael Landau Live 2000.

Manu Katche: "Sledgehammer" from Peter Gabriel Real World Live.

Back