To logo, or not to logo...

jer

Silver Member
The thread about custom kick skins is timely, in that a few days ago, I had argument over a band wanting me to get their logo on my kick, (which I refuse for a couple reasons), got me to thinking; am I alone in my desire not to advertise?

I dig the custom designs, graphics or artwork to make it something more personal - but I'm not a fan of band names or logos.

To me it's kinda like wearing your own band's shirt to a gig, it just seems wrong for some reason...

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Last edited:
It's a matter of personal opinion. Some bands also don't do a light show, and others don't sell merchandise. When you add a logo to your bass drum, you're sending the audience the message that you guys care enough about the project to put just a tad more effort into your appearance. Now, if you guys wear any kind of costuming or coordinated clothes, I would say that it wouldn't be a bad idea.

If you're worried about your head, there are ways to get around it. You can get static-cling logos made where your logo magically sticks to the head, and are easily removable and re-stickable(?) for the longevity of most bands. If you play in multiple bands and use the same heads, this is a huge time-saver...

It is advertising. I walk into your venue, hear you play, but it's too crowded and loud to ask anyone what the bands name is. Maybe a banner for a back drop. Something helps. And as Caddy wrote you can get temporary logos or bass drum peel offs.

It is advertising. I walk into your venue, hear you play, but it's too crowded and loud to ask anyone what the bands name is. Maybe a banner for a back drop. Something helps. And as Caddy wrote you can get temporary logos or bass drum peel offs.

I second what he said. Why not get a banner made? It is obviously more expensive, but it wouldn't be permanent. A lot of bands have these. I personally would get a banner for each side and leave your reso head as is, which is pretty common (I'm not taking credit for the idea).

I'm with you. It feels weird. But is does serve a purpose. Maybe you can compromise and come up with a way to show some identity without feeling like cheesy wear my own band's shirt guy. I am having an artist do the same for me right now, I'll post the art when it is complete.

I have no problem with band logos or graphics, and I don't feel like I've been put upon to 'advertise' the band in any way. It's part of the pride I have in the band(s) I'm with. In fact, I don't think anyone's ever asked me to put a logo on the front, it's always been my idea (and always with the band's permission.)

But the banner idea is a good one, and certainly works better in more situations. It's bigger and more visible from a distance, can be seen if there are people standing and the kick is obscured, and isn't limited to the particular drummer or size of the kick.

I played with a band last week that had a smallish placard with their name, and set it directly behind me where virtually nobody could see it. Hmmm...

Bermuda

Well, in my persuit to be sponsered by sabian, I would definatly keep their logos on my cymbals. Drum heads is another story, I wish I could erase the logos off all my drum heads. For bass drum heads, I would definatly use a custom one that said like Jwildman or the name of my band. But I don't think i would put another bands bass head on, unless it was a band that I'm really into.

I have designed most of the logos for the bands I have been in. I have had them on my BD.

My issue now is I am in multiple bands. I would love to find a material that would cling to my BD head that I could change out when I want to.

My issue now is I am in multiple bands. I would love to find a material that would cling to my BD head that I could change out when I want to.

DrumArtJim's website DrumArt they sell removable logos. You could probably PM him about it.

I don't get why anyone would have a problem doing this (the static cling). You have your bands advertised even here in your signature. Bands need advertising to build a fanbase. Getting their name known is essential. It is true that you can do a banner, but frankly, a lot of venues don't have great places for them to be hung, or have a problem with them. I'm amazed at how much resistance I have met when it comes to banners, especially when we were first starting out. Plus, people might not look above or below the band. They will be looking at the drummer.

In a business where name recognition is as important, if not more important, than talent, making sure that every person there clearly knows the band name makes way too much sense not to do it.

In a business where name recognition is as important, if not more important, than talent, making sure that every person there clearly knows the band name makes way too much sense not to do it.

i agree. if you dont want it to be cheesy, then make a good logo. something classic and timeless. my band will be getting one for my kit soon that is kinda a throwback to the old big band look, kinda like sgt. pepper...

I play in multiple bands, one of which has the removable static cling logo for the bass drum head. My only problem with it is that it's a rectangular logo on a large round black background; completely defeats the purpose of having a white reso head, which I prefer. Plus, they paid for a lot of sticker that is just blank space. Why they didn't just get it made in the rectangular shape of the logo, with a clear background, is a mystery. I'm gonna ask 'em if I can cut out the logo so it'll look like a bumper sticker! I don't think it'll look as bad as it sounds; might even make people come take a closer look to see what it says.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. Gives me thought fodder.

One of the obvious concerns was playing in multiple bands, my comment was along the lines of, if you want to swap out and tune my skin before ever gig?... a removable option would solve that.

One of my ideas involved asking them if they would put something on their instruments, to which they all kinda shrugged off. Other than surface area, is there any reason why the kick is the designated home for ads? Seems to me that a logo on the front of the guitars and basses (and in this case, the keys that sit front and center stage) would make an ideal location for such purposes.

But, I can understand why you wouldn't want to deface a guitar, and it's really that same reason that brings me to not want to do the same with my kick. It's not as much about the advertising aspect. It's about defacing my instrument. Have to say though, when the point was brought up here about it's potential effectiveness as a way to ensure we are getting the name out there, definitely gives the "getting a logo on there" side some leverage.

We did discuss a banner, I think we all didn't want to have to deal with the challenges that setting it up could involve - I've seen enough guys cursing as they're putting 'em up. Expense was a consideration too, but if anyone has any suggestions on a kick-arse way to deal with getting them setup in un-ideal situations, I'm all ears.

Really appreciate the posts.

my band has a banner and most of the time i'm in charge of setting it up. we carry a box of push pins with us and its usually a matter of standing on top of the drum stool and putting the banner up as high as we can. we also keep zip ties with us for situations like we are playing in a tent or a portable stage. The biggest problem with the banner is to not forget it at the end of the gig! it really takes all of 1 minute to set up.

I also have the band logo on my bass drum head, and it has been really effective. We might say or name 2 or 3 times in the course of a night over the microphones but alot of people come and go and might not catch the name. and if there is a situation were we cannot put up the banner at least the name is still out there on the bass drum head.

here is a perfectly good example of why I do stuff like this. We had an early set up at a venue because they were doing a live radio broadcast before our show from the venue. the dj saw the set up sat at my drums took a picture and put it on his blog.
4761_12405700383.jpg

it basically cost me $40 bucks for the extra resonant head and i traced the logo with a marker and colored it in. I have an extra plain resonant that I can put on if i need to.

ringo_starr.jpg

it worked for that guy too.

i'm not against wearing my own bands shirt either, especially if i'm at a festival and walking around it helps to sell shirts, and you can meet people who ask you about the band.

we also have a magnet we put on the van when we are on the road to advertise the band. you don't know how many times we have gone past people and i see them pull out their phone and type something in. i'm pretty sure they are checking our website out.

One of my ideas involved asking them if they would put something on their instruments, to which they all kinda shrugged off. Other than surface area, is there any reason why the kick is the designated home for ads? Seems to me that a logo on the front of the guitars and basses (and in this case, the keys that sit front and center stage) would make an ideal location for such purposes.

Indeed, the front head is usually the largest space available for artwork. In the past, band logos - often just the bandleader's initials - went on the music stands of the horn players... and on the bass drum for good measure! And I've seen keyboard players with band names on the edge facing front, so that's a curent option... assuming there's a keyboardist in the band! But apart from a guitar/bass player not wanting adhesive of any kind on their finish (would you want something stuck to your shell's finish?) the presence of the pick guard, strings, bridge, pickups, whammy bar and knobs, coupled with their arm & hand constantly moving across the body, there's not enough remaining space to place any art and expect it to be very visible.

You might try using Velcro

Put 6 short strips of the hook side of the Velcro around the perimeter of the existing front head. You can get it in either white or black as needed. then cut a circle from another head or any light, flexible material, about 1" less in diameter than the size of the drum, and put 6 of the fuzzy Velcro strips on what will be the 'back' side of the insert, and in the same locations so they match the ones on your kick. Decorate the 'front' side of the insert, and you can even put a hole in the appropriate spot if needed. Do this for each band you want a logo for, and swap them out for each gig.

Bermuda

I think a bass drum head is a better place to show the name of the band than one of those crappy-looking vinyl banners on poles on hung on the wall behind the band. Have you ever seen a vinyl banner used by a supporting act at a big-name rock concert? No. Have you seen a logoed bass drum head? Probably.

www.drumart.com does heads with permanent artwork, or can supply static cling artwork if you're doing different bands with the same kit and need to remove it every so often

I tell my band mates this. If you pay for it, I'll put it on my bass! So far no one has bought me a logo head!

Patrick Keeler, one of my favorite drummers and thats just a classy drum head

Back