The ''Right'' Way To Set Up Your Kit

Haha, I was wondering if someone would follow up on that. Cool.

I'm going to save most of them for other people, but I will say that the most important thing would be to do what's comfortable for you. Sure, there are some "rules" that should be followed simply because they make it easier to play or whatever, but a good rule of thumb is to just set the kit up the way you like it--not how your idol likes it. Everyone is different! I've sat at the kit of a friend who happens to be an incredible drummer, and to me, his set seemed to be very uncomfortable to play, but for him, it worked great. Create your own style.

But, that's a pretty common thing to say, and I'm sure a lot of the people here can offer some advice just from what they've learned in years of trying different setups with their kit.

If no one else does, I'll post some pictures of my kit in a day or two, along with an explanation of why it's set up the way it is.

Re: What annoys you on peoples drum sets?

tert.jpg

'Puffs out chest'- I think I will leave it to others to tell these *newbs* they should reconsider how they set up their sets. Unbelievable! Can you imagine the nerve of these guys? Where do they get off setting up their kits like that. Those tom angles are hilarious. And didn't anyone tell Mr Lewis how he was supposed to set up his kit?
++++Extreme Sarcasm Here+++
Steve

Attachments

• louisbellson567.jpg
    louisbellson567.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 543
  • tonywilliams9.jpg
    tonywilliams9.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 540
  • tonywilliams.jpg
    tonywilliams.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 540
  • genekrupa2.jpg
    genekrupa2.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 543
  • mellewis.jpg
    mellewis.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 542
Matt Riter's dvd "Bass drum techniques, unburying the beater" has a good section on kit setup.
Basically he explains how to set the kit up around you, around the way you are structured for easy and relaxed movement.

'Puffs out chest'- I think I will leave it to others to tell these *newbs* they should reconsider how they set up their sets. Unbelievable! Can you imagine the nerve of these guys? Where do they get off setting up their kits like that. Those tom angles are hilarious. And didn't anyone tell Mr Lewis how he was supposed to set up his kit?
++++Extreme Sarcasm Here+++
Steve

Nutha gets owned along with loads of other members...i guess :)

Oh yeah, that craze that's been going on for over 40 years...

i have to play dual floors tomorrow for a gig :\

i dont really like em, but the venue wont let me re-arrange, wtf...bit tight if you ask me.

at least it makes up with iron cobra doubles and zildjian master sound cymbals n hi-hats

Nutha gets owned along with loads of other members...i guess :)

not really.

first, those pics are old ...from a time when hardware or ergonomic science was not well developed. nor were magazines or the internet so disemmination of information was poor. in some of those cases one can but only wonder how much more these great drummers might have achieved with better hardware and better set ups

second, a few of those pics show the best tom angles for trad grip. so they are well set up.

third, a beginner drummer has enough to contend with just learning the basics, so an easy to play kit is advisable. when you get as good as the guys pictured, then a perfect set up is not so crucial.

forth, this small selection of photos proves nothing when compared to the vast body of well set up pro kits pictured on the dw site. the majority of the pros do set up their kits with care and with good reason. i could post at least ten pro pics of well set up kits for each of these ones posted but why bother...you know where to go to see the pics.

j

And didn't anyone tell Mr Lewis how he was supposed to set up his kit?
No one had the balls.

I'm surprised to see that not one person (I'm open for corrections) has said a bad musician. Honestly the aesthetics bother me little nowadays, I'm much more focused on the sonic component than the visual. I think if we put more time into sounding good (at least more in proportion to) over what our kits look like and optimising them (even ergonomically) we would all sound a lot better.

I believe 0neyellowdrum put it best when he (essentially) said that a setup is no matter if one is a fine musician. Plus, it was funny!

not really.

first, those pics are old ...from a time when hardware or ergonomic science was not well developed. nor were magazines or the internet so disemmination of information was poor. in some of those cases one can but only wonder how much more these great drummers might have achieved with better hardware and better set ups

second, a few of those pics show the best tom angles for trad grip. so they are well set up.

third, a beginner drummer has enough to contend with just learning the basics, so an easy to play kit is advisable. when you get as good as the guys pictured, then a perfect set up is not so crucial.

forth, this small selection of photos proves nothing when compared to the vast body of well set up pro kits pictured on the dw site. the majority of the pros do set up their kits with care and with good reason. i could post at least ten pro pics of well set up kits for each of these ones posted but why bother...you know where to go to see the pics.

j

cool bro ! i get your point but i still think its not the end of the world if someone has bad tom angels. if it really annoys you (which in my opinion shouldnt, cause that shows a bit of egoistic side of yourself) you could simply explain the guy whats the "problem" with his drumset and show him the proper way of setting the toms. simple as that plus you dont need to get frustrated.

it doesn't annoy me. i'm a drum teacher on a drum forum, like many of the folks here. seeing a newby set up a kit badly is like (as happened to me a few years back) seeing a pupil who thought that paradiddles had to be played in 16ths but with the diddles as 32nds.

the forum is about education as much as chatting.

perhaps the thread title is a bit wrong. it should be: ADVICE FOR WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN SETTING UP YOUR FIRST KIT.

j

Nutha, not all the pictures are that old. The one with Louis Bellson is from a 2004 issue of MD. The older Tony Williams picture looks to be late 80's to 90's, and the one with Mel I'm guessing 70's, maybe 80's.

Alright, so we have 2 replies in one day, and in the ''what anoys you on other peoples kits''thread, there are 11 new ones, does anyone have the balls to not critise, but also help the newbs? ...guess not

The problems that people have when they set up their kits seems to come from two main places: their lack of knowledge, and their desire to look cool.

The first is a simple one, and I know I had this problem. The tom angles are a good example--it's not wrong, per se, the drums can still be played in that form, but it's just not the most efficient method. As Nutha Jason alluded to, it basically makes playing the drums harder than it needs to be. When you're new and don't know how to set up a kit, of course you're going to do things that may not be optimal.

There was a thread a while back asking what would happen if cavemen were given a drumset--as in, how would they set it up, and how would they learn to play. Same principle here--just because a setup looks good to a person doesn't mean it's the best way to do something. If I'm learning how to play tennis, I may feel like the best way to play is to grip the racket with my teeth. That doesn't mean it's the best way to do it though, and when someone comes along and tells me to hold the racket in my hand, it will cause an immediate improvement in my playing.

I have a much greater problem with the second one, which happens when people try to look cool. It's great to have a drumming idol and someone to look up to, but that doesn't mean you should have to look up at your cymbals when you're playing :)

When people feel like they have to set their drums up in a certain way because it makes them look cool, there is indeed a problem. The cool factor doesn't come from how the set is configured, but by how the drummer uses it.

There is no right way to set up a kit. If there was, every drummer in the world would have an identical drumset, and who would want that? There are, however, some "do's and don'ts" to kit setup. Things such as setting your toms up in a ergonomic way and having your snare tilted at a correct angle for easy access to rimshots are all things that beginners can benefit from hearing.

We don't need to sit there and tell people "Your high tom should be 5 inches away from your snare drum and 4 inches from your next tom" but there is nothing at all wrong with saying "If you put your toms close together, you'll be able to move between them faster."

You've started an entirely different kind of thread. Many people here have a pet peeve that makes them want to punch the Internet every time they see it on someone's kit. It takes no thought and a couple of seconds to post "bizarre tom angles" or "six foot tall cymbals." On the other hand, describing the whys and wherefores of properly setting up a kit could take pages, particularly if it tales into account the variables of height, playing style, grip, number and size of drums/cymbals, etc. If the Internet is already well-stocked with full articles on setting up a kit, it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend a half-hour writing out a post that wouldn't even cover the topic as well.

Many Words and pictures

Some guy's version

A short article

Some guy's video

YouTube

Is there a "right way"? Certainly, there are "more conventional" ways vs. "odd", but is any one method "right". I remember seeing either Jimmy De Grasso's or Greg D'Angelo's kit (White Lion) tour kit with 3 floor toms front and center, kicks to the left and right of those (no doubt left and right handed slave pedals to opperate them, 'cause they were 2 feet to either side of the drummer). And I thought "why not". You want a lot of bottom end, put 14, 16, 18 floor toms in front of you. 26" (or larger) kicks on either side. Bottom end for days. Dare to be different. You can look at thousands of drums set up and get an "idea" of what is conventional, ergonomic, easiest to play. That's the way 90+% of all drums are set up.

To put it simply, there is no "right way" to setup a drumkit. There are A LOT of recommended ways and those ways make sense ergonomically, etc, etc. However, I believe that people can and should set it up the way THEY like it.

The other thread was about "What annoys you on people's drum sets?" not "post your setup here and get ridiculed". This is a good idea for a thread, but I think using the search feature would help people out on kit setup too....

I don't mean to be a troll....sorry if it came off that way.

I Cant stand drumsets that wobble when someone plays on them especially if their pros, for example watch all of neil pearts videos here and see it wobble Their pros they need to get a rack

I Cant stand it when peoples rack toms are faced toward each other

I Cant stand it when people have a really nice kit and crappy cymbals

I Cant stand it when people have a very nice set of cymbals and a crappy drum kit

I Cant stand it when people have their cymbals facing away from the drum set

I Cant stand it when people have their toms not in order in size like kenny Aronoff

Back