New Premier Heritage

thomas77

This is my new all birch Premier Heritage in WMP.
Sizes are 18, 12, 14, with a 14 Broadway snare from the 50's.
This kit is part of the Artist series so it isn't top of the line but not far off.
They absolutely sing and look better in person!
Please tell me what you think!
Cheers Tom

Attachments

• P1010068.jpg
    P1010068.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 2,084
  • P1010064.jpg
    P1010064.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 1,381
  • P1010063.jpg
    P1010063.jpg
    286.1 KB · Views: 1,668
  • P1010067.jpg
    P1010067.jpg
    252 KB · Views: 1,178
I have questions:

Price?
sound clips?
comparison to other equally priced competitors ?
No snare included?
Who manufactured factory heads?

I have previously seen YouTube clip from this forum on the same kit and was intrigued for use in a small acoustic setting. Any impressions?

Congratulations. Classic looking setup.

Price was a ridiculously low £150! I found it on an english drum forum and it was local(ish) so it was a deal I just could not pass up.

We are recording soon and I will try to get some video from a gig this weekend.

Full price you are looking at comparing with the Gretsch Catalina Club and Ludwig Accent CS Custom. I have played these and they are great but the Luddy was just a bit of a hobby kit whereas this is more what I would call a semi-pro kit. I think it is a market no-one else seems to have tapped, a great but not crazy priced kit that won't let you down.

It is about 5 years old and the guy only had the toms and bass, but I have my rebuilt broadway anyway and its retro sound fits nicely with the kit.

The stock heads are by Premier and are ok, they are quite thick but have a nice tone, the bass drum head was rubbish so I switched it for an aquarian and it is great, so easy to tune but still loud when needed.

The kit is great for a more intimate setting but can also play loud, as the only "small" drum is the bass drum and that has a surprising ammount of punch.

I think that this is the best kit, in terms of sound and looks, that I have ever owned. I would recommend it to anyone.

Thanks by the way! She is terribly cute! By the way it is made in England rather than the far East so build quality is great.

Thanks man, I normally have a 12" china splash and a cowbell but I thought the "Classic" look would be nice for the forum. Cheers for your comment!

I like the fact that many manufacturer have dropped isolated tom mount for their vintage set ie.: DW, Ludwig and now Premier.

We always come back to the source... Was Isolation tom mount system a marketing hype, the question is left open...

Good point man, I think its a fashion thing and as a result moves in cycles. I only ever use 1 tom anyway so it suits me fine.

Very nice, and a very nice price. You can't beat classic white. Nice find.

I like the fact that many manufacturer have dropped isolated tom mount for their vintage set ie.: DW, Ludwig and now Premier.

We always come back to the source... Was Isolation tom mount system a marketing hype, the question is left open...

I completely disagree, i mean for a start, what do you mean "was"? It's still being used by all the top manufacturers for all the MODERN drum kits. I personally think it's great and sure mounting the tom directly to the shell might be "vintage" but there are a lot of other "vintage" things on drum kits that i personally am GLAD aren't widely used any more!

The snare is a John Grey Broadway made in London in the 1950s. It is 14 by 4 1/2. I found it hiding at the back of a drum shop. I had both hoops but one was wrecked so I got a sonor hoop and snare mechanism and set to work. I put ambassadors on it and it is great! It has a lovely crack to it. The shell cost me £20 and the hoops, lugs, skins and snare were about £50 so I managed to get a weird little snare that sounds cool for about £70! It is quite a conversation peice at gigs as other drummers always ask what it is!

Really sweet kit. I think Premier is having a bit of a problem (again) with distribution, here, in the states, but as long as they can build and sell "somewhere", it's all good.

Yeah I think the recession has hit them really hard, but for some reason they have let ludwig gretsch etc overtake them in england which doesnt make sense as they are made in Leicester which is pretty much the middle of the country so they should be able to distribute anywhere? So it seems people would rather have cheap wood made in taiwan than good wood made in england? People are weird!

I'm a big fan of Premiers, can I ask what forum you got them on mate?
Really like the sizes on that kit, do you have any youtube videos, recordings etc?

Tom

I'm a big fan of Premiers, can I ask what forum you got them on mate?
Really like the sizes on that kit, do you have any youtube videos, recordings etc?

Tom
Mike Dolbear, might be recording tonight so will see what can be done! If not I will try to sort a you tube, just a bit worried about looking like a jerk playing on my own!
Cheers Tom

nice snare, yes you are right people are weird,next kit that i want to own for forever is Signia Maple

Glad you agree! People truely are freaks at times! I played a signia at a gig a couple of years ago and it was brilliant, really warm and rich tones (probably the maple?) Hope you get what you want mate!

Back