Painting a Snare?

NIMBY

I am thinking about painting my Pearl Joey Jordison Sig. Snare, I just cant take the logos anymore, looking for a nice change.
Nothing spiffy, just a thin layer, enough to cover up the black with a luscious lime green :D

My question is this - Would painting this snare reduce it's resonance due to the layer of paint?

Have you thought about taking it to an auto body shop that does custom work? They may be able to give you a nice Laquer job for very little.

Have you thought about taking it to an auto body shop that does custom work? They may be able to give you a nice Laquer job for very little.

It did in fact cross my mind. I am going to ask around and see if anyone could do it for me.
But before I started my quest I thought about the consequences of painting a steel snare.

Will there be a substantial effect on the resonance of the shell?
As previously stated it will only be a thin layer, one coat paint, one/two coats of clear gloss. (If I do it myself)

I would not think you will hear a difference. But paint will not work, it will chip, I would powder coat it.It looks amazing, lasts forever and will cost less then paying a painter.

I would not think you will hear a difference. But paint will not work, it will chip, I would powder coat it.It looks amazing, lasts forever and will cost less then paying a painter.

Powder-coating never crossed my mind, I can't believe I forgot about that haha!
Definitely looking into powder-coating now, can powder-coater's do sparkles?

I am 99% sure yes. I would grab a phone book, find a local powder coater and give them a call.

I didn't know you were talking about a metal snare. Powder coating IS the way to go and they do sparkles. If you do this, post some pictures when you are done, I'll bet it will be cool!!!

I didn't know you were talking about a metal snare. Powder coating IS the way to go and they do sparkles. If you do this, post some pictures when you are done, I'll bet it will be cool!!!

I will definitely post some pictures when it's all completed. Can't wait now haha.

I'm going to do it in a few weeks when I change the heads so I'm not without
a snare for too long.

Back