Peter Erskine moves to Tama...

It's just business. Hey I will give you $$$ to play my drums and advertise for us. And by the way, the kits on us.

It's just business. Hey I will give you $$$ to play my drums and advertise for us. And by the way, the kits on us.

Possibly in this case, but actually you might be surprised how few endorsees actually get their kits completely free, and even less get paid to play a brand.

Mark

Because those drums sound freakin' amazing. Disregarding a Guru Custom In-Tense, that would be the ultimate kit for me too. He just wants to play the ultimate drum kit. Can you blame him?

I've studied with Peter... and I know him fairly well .... and I can tell you that to him drums are drums...
he does not care what name is on the front.
he told me personally that when any given contract is up he will gladly move on to any other company offering because you only live once and all companies make nice drums

I will tell you this though .... at home he plays Craviotto drums

he bought two Craviotto sets from Steve Maxwell ... as well as a USA Custom bop kit

I have a video I took of him on my phone playing a brand new Craviotto kit that he just received and brought to some public classes .... at the time he was still with DW and when he sees me filming he sings... "wait till this gets on youtube"... then some one comes over....it may have been Bill Platt ... and covers the Craviotto name with a bandana .... funny stuff

I'd be glad to show anyone interested

either way.... no big deal here with the Tama contract

beautiful drums by the way

Interesting......Makes you wonder what DW could not do for Peter.

Well that does it for me! Time to trade in my two DWs for a Craviotto set (to keep at home) and a Tony Williams yellow Star set for gigs. Oh yeah and a USA Custom bop set for...........ah......the bathroom!

But, but, but I read on the internet Tama is only good for metal drumming, and jazz players only like Gretsch!

lol

Erskine is such a great player I'm glad he doesn't care who makes his drums. Although I think all great players are like this, especially the jazz guys. I must admit though, seeing him as a kid playing with Maynard Ferguson behind a set of Slingerlands made me want to play Slingerland (even though a lot of cool players were playing Slingerland at the time - he was the first I saw live on them).

Now I have to stop by the Tama booth this weekend!

But, but, but I read on the internet Tama is only good for metal drumming, and jazz players only like Gretsch!

lol

I know you're just joshin' but I actually had it in my head that Tama is a modern, rock/metal player's brand. I admit that I really had not looked at their offerings with scrutiny but everything that I saw was a modern configuration with deep 18" bass drums, small diameter toms and those damn suspension mounts and assumed it wasn't for me.

For my first kit I was going between a Tama Superstar and a Stage Custom. I imagine that I really would have had a different view of Tama if I went with the Superstar kit.

I really don't get why people care. It's like the whole "wheaties" thing. I guess for some people, when a celebrity says they eat that stuff, it makes them want to eat that same stuff.

Never worked on me. I like Tama kits because I like how they play and look. I also like several other brands like sonor and gretch. Drums is drums.

Lars is a closet jazz guy...

Lars only plays Tama cause he wants to be like Elvin. :p

TAMAELVIN2.jpg

I'm with you Doc. But there are many many people who look first at brands, gear and the like. Where the real focus is supposed to be on the playing and learning and improvement on the instrument. It's just so easy and tempting to get side tracked into a related area that really has little to do with our prime objective....which is to be able to express yourself through the instrument with a goal in mind to bring life and beauty where there once was none.

I'm with you Doc. But there are many many people who look first at brands, gear and the like. Where the real focus is supposed to be on the playing and learning and improvement on the instrument. It's just so easy and tempting to get side tracked into a related area that really has little to do with our prime objective....which is to be able to express yourself through the instrument with a goal in mind to bring life and beauty where there once was none.

Blah blah blah blah blah BOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGG!

Tell that to the 11-year-olds watching Headbanger's Ball and reading Modern Drummer.

Don't get all Yoda on us. That's not what this is about ;)

Smart move for Tama! Most musicians and drummers I speak with tend to associate Tama with rock/heavy metal drumming, when in fact Tama makes excellent drums for all genres. Smart business move indeed!

Blah blah blah blah blah BOOORRRRRIIIINNNNGGGG!

Tell that to the 11-year-olds watching Headbanger's Ball and reading Modern Drummer.

Don't get all Yoda on us. That's not what this is about ;)
Bo, I have come to the conclusion that I will never sell you a drum. I've already screened your ISP from our online shop. I can't stand the thought of you claiming you still sound exactly the same, even on a Guru, & then read a thread one week later where you proudly proclaim you've reverted to CB ;)

. at home he plays Craviotto drums

he bought two Craviotto sets from Steve Maxwell ... as well as a USA Custom bop kit

I have a video I took of him on my phone playing a brand new Craviotto kit that he just received and brought to some public classes .... at the time he was still with DW and when he sees me filming he sings... "wait till this gets on youtube"... then some one comes over....it may have been Bill Platt ... and covers the Craviotto name with a bandana .... funny stuff
Great story Ant, & you & I both know enough behind the scenes crap on this subject to upturn a few forums in one evening. It's business folks. It's about paying the tour logistics, & maintaining a level of mutual marketing presence to suit all concerned. So long as the drums do the job, the backup is there to make life less difficult, & the marketing presence / momentum is maintained, all is good.

Back