I don't think I'll be able to get a bigger floor tom

Evilbagua

Silver Member
I bought this Remo Acousticon 22x24 4 leg surdo today for 80$. It has brand new bass drum heads on it and the guy said he got it for one Samba gig and it sat in a case. I figure it was worth 80$ for the EMAD and reso head alone and this would save me some $ since I have always wanted to try a big surdo as a floor tom. I lowered the legs, and can get it exactly where I play my normal size floor toms. I'm going to pull it up a few inches because it's like 4 inches off the floor in the photo.

It sounds thunderous, pretty much like a bass drum right now, but I plan to swap the heads on it and mess with the tuning. I think it's going to look killer played as a 3 peice with my 28 or steel bass drum. :) Here is a pic of it next to a 16x16 floor tom.

Attachments

• floortom.JPG
    floortom.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 553
wow, that's a very intimidating drum! All you need is a 20" gong tom up in front! lol ;)

How does it sound?

now all we need is some pics of your monster kit!

-Jonathan

Jesus dude. It looks like it'll eat little jazz sized kits. I wanna see a pic of that next to your chrome 28" and the marching snare. You should shoot a youtube vid of that so I can watch it and smile when I'm blue.

On a side note, what sort if any muffling do you use in you 28" kicker?

Jesus dude. It looks like it'll eat little jazz sized kits. I wanna see a pic of that next to your chrome 28" and the marching snare. You should shoot a youtube vid of that so I can watch it and smile when I'm blue.

On a side note, what sort if any muffling do you use in you 28" kicker?

I run the 28 unported with a SuperKickII and large falam patch. The only muffling is the SKII's little internal foam ring. I'd like to put a single ply SK or a PS3 on it when I get unlazy and order a new head. I'll try and take a video sometime too.

The way styles are headed, that's going to be considered a typical rack tom in a couple of years.

hahahaha! I was contemplating putting this behind my snare sortof in the rack tom position because the room I'm in isn't super big, and I have to fit a 14 and 18 floor tom to my right. Either that or trap myself behind the kit with this to my left :)

Back