Drumming is getting boring for me

The biggest piece of advice i can give you is get into a proper band or something and get out there and play gigs, festivals etc and your drumming will never be boring because you will get nervous and you will over practise and then you will be determined to play you songs and then start experimenting!
Or if you cant do that the other thing is try out different styles of music like funk, smba, reggae etc and you moght find a new passion for drumming !!

Tris

Listen and find more styles of music. Attempting to perfect various styles should be the ultimate challenge.

1. Get in a band.
2. Play along with music/play-along CDs.
3. Forget Youtube, turn off your bloody computer and get a living teacher who can push you in new directions. Even if it's just another kid who has more experience than you. We can learn something from everyone.
3a. Find some other young people who play drums and hang out. Go see their kits, exchange ideas, talk drums.
4. Find a friend (perhaps from church) who plays bass and have them come over so you can practice together.
5. Listen to music you don't usually listen to. Try playing what you hear.
5a. Go see some live music. Then go see more.
6. Take a break for a week or two. The drums will still be there when you get back, and I bet you'll feel refreshed.
7. Stop thinking negatively/being bored - it's not out there, it's in you and you have control over it.

Try any combination of the above and see what happens. If you've tried ALL of the above, and you still can't give a toss, sell your drums.

+1

Best advice you'll ever be given, for mine. Take particular note of point number 1.

Sounds like you're bored of playing drums by yourself. This is typical of younger players who really need to perform with other musicians to stretch and grow musically. Music is a conversational language (just listen to jazz). You definitely need feedback -- from fellow musicians and/or an audience -- so find an outlet for your talent then the challenge of playing will come back. Plus, start listening to the drummertalk podcasts. Drumming is never boring ;D

1. Get in a band.
2. Play along with music/play-along CDs.
3. Forget Youtube, turn off your bloody computer and get a living teacher who can push you in new directions. Even if it's just another kid who has more experience than you. We can learn something from everyone.
3a. Find some other young people who play drums and hang out. Go see their kits, exchange ideas, talk drums.
4. Find a friend (perhaps from church) who plays bass and have them come over so you can practice together.
5. Listen to music you don't usually listen to. Try playing what you hear.
5a. Go see some live music. Then go see more.
6. Take a break for a week or two. The drums will still be there when you get back, and I bet you'll feel refreshed.
7. Stop thinking negatively/being bored - it's not out there, it's in you and you have control over it.

Try any combination of the above and see what happens. If you've tried ALL of the above, and you still can't give a toss, sell your drums.

This is the best bit of advice you can get, and as it says if you try these and you still dont care, drumming is not for you.

......go para-gliding or something.....

"If at first you don't succeed, quit, you just weren't cut out for it"...I kid i kid.

Always drumming by yourself is pretty boring after a while unless you're a gifted soloist. As others said, if you find a band or at least someone to jam with then you'll have fun again.

I wish I could have an acoustic kit to play with anytime I want. =( In our rehearsal space there are so many abandoned kits it just breaks my heart. I wish I could give them a better life but I can't =(

Why are people answering 7 month old "I'm bored" threads?

Why are people answering 7 month old "I'm bored" threads?

Ah, fair call H.

Short answer: I paid no attention to the OP date and jumped on the bandwagon.

Long answer: Boomka's post serves as a model 'kick in the pants' to all the 'woe is me', 'I'm not motivated', 'I'm bored', 'I'm quitting drums' carry on. It was worth highlighting for future generations to dig up..

Hehehe, we're like lemmings. It just takes one person to jump at an old post and that brings it up in the listing and then a bunch of other "lemmings" don't ask themselves "Why am I jumping?" - they just jump. Mea culpa!

I guess we could justify ourselves by saying it's an age-old dilemma :)

I think the point though is that other people may feel (or may have felt) this way. So it's not necessarily about addressing the 5 month old OP concern specifically, but the concern in general.

My comment would be that sometimes you might need to pick up another instrument, or some other aspect of music (composition, recording, etc). I think a lot of drummers are good at other aspects of music, but they may not know it, or make that leap because "they're drummers".

Back