Drum Notation Question

DrumCat6

I have a question about drum notation. In some of my instructional books, the snare drum is written on the line, and in others it is written above the line.

Is this because one is written for a four piece kit, and the other is written for a five piece kit?
It seems that it is more common for the snare to appear above the line...is this correct?

Thanks!

That's because there is no "correct" way of writing it - everybody just does what he thinks looks best.

The Snare above the line is in fact more common and to my eyes also looks better. When I notate drums, I always choose to write it above the line.

It does not have anything to do with 4-piece or 5-piece. At least I have never heard about that and I do notate drums quite often.

That's because there is no "correct" way of writing it - everybody just does what he thinks looks best.

The Snare above the line is in fact more common and to my eyes also looks better. When I notate drums, I always choose to write it above the line.

It does not have anything to do with 4-piece or 5-piece. At least I have never heard about that and I do notate drums quite often.

Thanks for your reply. The reason why I thought it had to do with a 4-piece or 5-piece kit is because in my one book where the snare usually is, they have the Mid-Tom. The snare is then on the line. I guess this is why each drum book I have provides a drum legend.

I noticed that a lot of european books write it on the line (like the agostini method books) and a lot of american books write it above the line. I personnaly prefer it on the line but it's probably just because I'm french and I learnt with books that used this notation.

but then, as stated before, there is no "correct" way of writing drum scores. there usually is a legend with each score that tells you where everything is

I noticed that a lot of european books write it on the line (like the agostini method books) and a lot of american books write it above the line. I personnaly prefer it on the line but it's probably just because I'm french and I learnt with books that used this notation.

but then, as stated before, there is no "correct" way of writing drum scores. there usually is a legend with each score that tells you where everything is

The agostini books are quite popular in France, are they? I studied with two french drummers back at LAMA and they both worked out of these books...

The german books I know almost always use the above the line method (all the Dirk Brand books for example).

Paracor: living in Paris must be awesome! I love the city... Are there many french drummers on board here? I should make contact with way more french guys here, so that when I want to visit the Bretagne or Paris or southern France or any other part of the country I'll have a place to stay :)

yeah you're right agostini is very widespread in france. The method is pretty good, a bit old school but you can learn a lot from it.
So I guess if german books also write above the line maybe it's not european notation Vs American notation but rather French Vs Rest of the world :D

and yes paris is awesome but paris is also soooooo expensive, and as a drummer it is a pain because you can hardly pay for a little flat so it's really hard to find a place to play & practice the drums. but the good part is there are lots of gigs to attend & to play, lots of bands & musicians around... I love this city! :)

where do you live in Germany? I'll be touring there in november (Wurzburg is the only date confirmed but there's more to come :) )

I live in Paderborn (most boring city of the world). Würzburg is great, one of the nicest citys in southern Germany. What kind of music do you play?

MySpace?

I just saw from another forum member an old 1800's drum book where the snare left and right hands were on different lines. As long as it is noted what is what I don't know that it matters.

I just saw from another forum member an old 1800's drum book where the snare left and right hands were on different lines. As long as it is noted what is what I don't know that it matters.

I believe that's a Celtic or Scottish tradition for writing snare drum parts.

dang i wish this could all be standardised world wide. but getting drummers to agree on something like this would be like herding cats.

this is the one i use and have found to be the most common:
drumnotation1.jpg

dang i wish this could all be standardised world wide. but getting drummers to agree on something like this would be like herding cats.

this is the one i use and have found to be the most common:

Thanks for your reply, and for posting the Drum Notation Key. I printed it, and I'm sure it will help!

Thanks everyone else for your responses to my question.

That's because there is no "correct" way of writing it - everybody just does what he thinks looks best......

I think this is so very true in all drum notation because unlike musical notation, (notes, cleffs etc) were it is written one way and thats it, drum notation can be changed and you end up finding different notation with different books.

For example when i got Tommy Igoe groove essentials 2 <(Highly recommended !) it was completely different symbols to my rockschool grades! So i had to actually read the drum key for once lol
So i think you have to be able to adapt to what ever is put infront of you, like your problem with the snare symbol being above and below the line and that is a great skill to have !

I hope my waffling on has helped !

Thanks

Back