Malcolm Young

cbphoto

Diamond Member
It looks like the end of the highway for Malcolm. It's a sad day for us AC/DC fans. He was one of the best rhythm guitarists in rock, and the brains behind the band.

Read about it here.

Man, that sucks so bad.

AC/DC was my first "favorite" band. As a young teenager I had every album and import that I could get my hands on. They ruled my high school world.

God bless Malcolm and his family. Dementia is a terrible affliction that just erodes the person's mind away. Really a shame.

That was the gossip and now it's confirmed. The band originally did not disclose the illness out of respect for Malcolm's privacy, probably to leave it to his family to control the timing of an announcement.

Musicians generally don't tend towards dementia because because research suggests that one form of mental exercise that works against dementia is playing music. Malcolm seems to be unlucky.

I saw them rock out at a local school dance with Bon a ... a ... few ... years ago and had a soft for them since. Right from the start they were as tight as a fish's arse. It's very sad for Mal, his family, the band, friends and fans.

Sad news. I wasn't a huge fan, but then again, you didn't have to be because in my time on rock radio, AC/DC was just played constantly - I learned most of their hits just by listening! God speed to Malcolm and his family. It's nice that they've kept it in the family and have his nephew playing in his place.

What many people don't understand is Alzihemers and dimentia is one in the same.My mom died from Alziheimers .....it took her years to die from it,and she didn't even know who I was at the end.Alzheimers is fatal,and many people don't know this.....it's a slow, debilitating degenerative disease.I feel badly for Malcome and his family,having been through this with my mom.May the road rise my friend.

Steve B

What many people don't understand is Alzihemers and dimentia is one in the same.My mom died from Alziheimers .....it took her years to die from it,and she didn't even know who I was at the end.Alzheimers is fatal,and many people don't know this.....it's a slow, debilitating degenerative disease.I feel badly for Malcome and his family,having been through this with my mom.May the road rise my friend.

Steve B

No, they aren't the same. Folks both in my wife's family and my family are diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease. It definitely sucks and it's a growing affliction.

Last year, there were 44.4 million people across the globe with Alzheimer’s and other dementias, according to Alzheimer’s Disease International (ADI). That number could hit 135.5 million by 2050, and much of that growth will be found in developing countries. In 2010, the annual cost of caring for people with Alzheimer’s and dementia reached $604 billion; as ADI puts is, “If dementia care were a company, it would be the world’s largest by annual revenue exceeding Wal-Mart ($414 billion) and Exxon Mobil ($311 billion).”

Back