This is more like it ;)

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
Not to make appearances too much, but now my kit is complete with the correct front head logo. I never understood why Ludwig would install an old-skool script logo head on a blue/olive kit, but they did. I found a guy in Canada who makes drum logos and he makes the standard 6"x1" Ludwig ones that were prominent in the early 70s. These were small and standard on the kits of the day. As the years wore on before Ludwig went back to the old script logo, they got bigger and bigger, and today they're still pretty big. Too gaudy!

So I installed this sticker on a Ludwig heavy weight smooth white head, it looks real!

Now I have a 24" Ludwig script logo front head. If anyone wants it, send me a PM.

Attachments

• correct-logo-head-web.jpg
    correct-logo-head-web.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 401
Pretty darn cool dude !

Those wrap colors are sort of an odd combo... but strangely enough come together to work really well.

Very cool, mate! But they're still set up backwards!

That looks great, Bo. I like the script version with my blue glass glitter kit, but that looks much better with your finish.

I'll never be a fan of the blue/green pearl finish, but I do dig the uniqueness of your kit. Nice!

Nice!

I ordered the same decals from Canada a few months ago, really good quality things those are.

That is the logo to go with the B&O, definitely. It's funny that Ludwig would use the script logo instead of this one, probably sells more with the whole retro thing going on at the moment?

Nice!

I ordered the same decals from Canada a few months ago, really good quality things those are.

That is the logo to go with the B&O, definitely. It's funny that Ludwig would use the script logo instead of this one, probably sells more with the whole retro thing going on at the moment?

I can go with the retro - especially when they re-introduced the Ringo drumset back in the '90s. I always say Ludwig is like Harley-Davidson - they have that vintage appeal. They really don't need to come up with anything new either. As much as I like that Atlas mounting system, I didn't get it on my new kit and it sorta' looks out-of-place on a line you would call "Classic Maple" or "Legacy". Fender, Gibson, Ford, Chevrolet, and Cadillac enjoy the same kind of status. They improve what they do, but if it looks too modern, it doesn't do well.

They say "everything old is new again" and I think we're at a point where even the "new" Ludwig logo is old enough to be retro.

I guess the general retro craze has led to the popularity (and overuse, IMO) of the classic script Ludwig logo, which makes sense on some kits, but not all, and I totally agree NOT on this particular one.

I really like the smaller 70s logo, and I have one of those decals too, waiting on my next front head replacement to put on my kit. I get that the ever-expanding logo trend hit almost everyone in the industry, but the smaller version of the Ludwig logo just looks SO much better and classier.

Those are some great looking Ludwigs Bo. The logo is a very nice touch too. I happen to like that finish as well. For some reason I though you had a champagne finish kit. When did you get these drums?

I definitely don't need MORE drums at this point, but if I ever wanted to pick up a new set, I would be very tempted to go with either the Ludwig Classics, or perhaps more Tamas in a Bubinga.

Those are some great looking Ludwigs Bo. The logo is a very nice touch too. I happen to like that finish as well. For some reason I though you had a champagne finish kit. When did you get these drums?

I definitely don't need MORE drums at this point, but if I ever wanted to pick up a new set, I would be very tempted to go with either the Ludwig Classics, or perhaps more Tamas in a Bubinga.

I got these drums about a week ago. It's the first brand new Ludwig kit I ever bought (the other 7 over my lifetime were all bought used) and I even sent in the warranty cards and all that to be a registered Ludwig user ;)

Going back to the finish discussion, I really thought I wanted an old skool finish, but then considered how everybody has seen those, and everybody had it at one point. I was wanting something old and new at the same time, and when Ludwig debuted this finish at NAMM in January, I really liked it. Several months later, I'm cruisin' the online sellers and Bently's drums up in Fresno had exactly what I wanted in this color - just a stand-up straight 3-piece with virgin bass drum, no Atlas mounts 13/16/24 kit in classic sizes. So I pulled the trigger. About the only thing I think I still want is the traditional T-handles for the bass drum, but I can take 'em or leave 'em.

Now if this finish takes off and everybody starts buying it, that remains to be seen. Some people like it, others don't like it. But I would think for the next six months, I'll probably be Mr. Unique for a while.

But I'm in the long haul with this kit, having just gotten a 14x24 hard case for the bass drum! For some reason, when I had those maple DW drums, they were really finicky to tuning and it took me a long time to make them sound good. These 7-ply Ludwigs found their sweet spot right away - with just a few tweaks over the next day or so. Now it's settled in and sounding great. I'm confident they'll sound even better when I eventually put coated emperors on them or black dots. The bass drum already got a PowerStroke3.

I'm looking to maybe get a matching 6.5x14 snare for it, that would be a nice touch and then fill the requirement of having one wood snare, and one metal snare (although my 70s 6.5 Supra is sounding awesome with it right now).

Back