Dave Weckl Question

Souljacker

Silver Member
Hopefully someone can answer this. Is that Dave Weckl playing on the title track of Michel Camilos "On Fire" album?

It sure sounds like his style of playing and I can't think of many drummers who could play up to that amazing standard.

However, there are three drummers on that album so I'm not 100% sure it is Dave playing on that track.

Maybe. But don't idolize too much. Dave is a great musician, but there are a lot of cats out there who can play everything he can. Also remember that Dave assuredly plays different for other people than when he's trying to show off in his own band sporting his name.

Joel Rosenblatt plays on the title track. The solo was transcribed in Modern Drummer years ago. Joel and Dave really sounded alike back then.

Joel Rosenblatt was in Spyro Gyra for many years. He also is on an album called Hemispheres that came out in 2007. Peace and goodwill.

He was also Weckl's college room mate and got the Camilo gig on Weckl's recommendation.

I knew him from Spyro Gyra but lately I've been listening to a lot of Rosenblatt with Vinny Valentino playing straight ahead jazz. FWIW, I love Weckl's playing but prefer Rosenblatt.

Back