My Camco Refurb with pix!

I have to ask how you got that finish on the drums. The leatherette look.

I have to ask how you got that finish on the drums. The leatherette look.

I first painted the shell in a light color, then used what in the faux finishing world, a glaze, which is basically a thinned out oil paint, in a darker color over it, and then used cheesecloth to texture the glaze, removing much of it. You could do the same thing with water based paint as a glaze, but you need to add a good quality glazing liquid to the paint to keep it from drying before you hit it with the cheesecloth. You can see the wet glaze in the first photo. I did this process twice to get the desired color. I would recommend testing the process on a spare piece of wood first. Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Great Caesar's Ghost! That is one of the most awesomely gorgeous kits I have ever seen. I'd kill for a Camco half as nice as that.

Amazing job. I love the finish and overall look of the drums. Normally I prefer vintage drums stay that way but your kit looks stunning. I would play the heck out of that kit! Very classy look and more modern than my kit:

20140624_063422-1.jpg

Not sure how I missed this but I'm glad this thread has been resurrected. What an extraordinary end result. OP has some serious skills. Ordinarily I could care less about vintage drums but these are just gorgeous.

Every time I see this thread I have to come back and look at those drums. They are just so classy, really beautiful drums.

Refurb of the year! What heads have you used? Earthtones?????

GJS

I just noticed that someone resurrected my thread. Thanks for the additional compliments, guys! I'm using Evans G2's batter side, and G1's ( IIRC ) for resos.

I started an original band last January and have had the opportunity to hear the Camco kit from the perspective of guitar player/ singer at rehearsals and gigs. I love how they sound.
( I managed to recruit a great drummer for that band).

Definitely fatter and warmer than my Renowns. The only issue is that I'm a little nervous every time I play them on a gig because the painted finish with a satin clear coat isn't all that durable compared to a factory lacquer or wrap. Kind of like car guys that only drive their restored vintage Mustang on sunny days, if that analogy makes any sense. I'm thinking of trying to get some old Ludwigs to restore this coming winter.

Back