Gavin Harrison here!

Very sharp

Haha Thanks for the compliment I'm known as the observer xD

I didn't see that at first. Unless I'm greatly mistaken that is a Tama Starclassic or superstar 8" Tom - The tom mounth is very clear in those shots and it is unmistakably a Tama Starcast mouth system. The die-cast hoops make me think it's a Supe or Star, though the fact that the mount is black and not chrome makes me think it's not a current model of either. The Supes all come with Black Nickel chrome hardware and Stars have a chrome plated. The old Black powder-coat was phased in the last few years as far as I know.

I might be wrong on the model, but I'm 99% sure it's a tama drum.

Yea, upon further inspection it is a Tama. The question is Why is it so why not Sonor...oh well what is done is done.

Hi Gavin,
I have the problem that my bassdrum is not as precise as I wished to be. So I started to do Gary Chesters New Breed exercises but I'm totally bored by the amount of exercises you can do. I'd like to ask you if there are any systems of the book or other exercises in general you would prefer to develop a precise bassdrum technique.

Secondly I have a question regarding bassdrum sounds. I'm playing a lot of Rock and loud music but I only have a 20" bassdrum. Although I have a Remo Powersonic head on it it has not the punch and the power I need. I know that I will never get the sound from a 20" than from a 22" but do you have any ideas/experiences maybe a new head or a special tuning or whatever to get as close as possible?

By the way did you ever heard of the British band Haken? A friend showed me some stuff recently. Could be nice as a PT support I guess.
Thank you Gavin for all the inspiration
Regards Nils

Hi Gavin,

I ordered the special Edition of 'Octane Twisted' and I'm curios what sound format the DVD will contain? Stereo/5.1 ? Can you tell me, 'cause I found no details on that on the internet.

Thank you in advance.

Christian

Hi K.Howden

As you can see, it consists of: a sextuplet paradiddle-diddle, slurred five-stroke roll, half a paraddidle and three eight note triplets. Because the number of notes within the space of a crochet decrease with each beat of the bar, it creates that "time stretching" effect. There's an intrinsic benefit to the excercise too in that, the sticking in terms of right and left hand switches with every bar. I was wondering if you use any excercises such as this one to practice subdivisions?

nice exercise. I've tried various exercises that 'step' through the subdivisions. In fact I tried to do a 'changing subdivision fill' about 1:44 into this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z6fnPj2fRk

Hi sina

Thanks for the note. Which one of the books from this list you recommend to start with.
On the other hand what about the age? What do think about starting Drumming at age of 32 as a long life career.

it's never too late to start. There's so many good books in your list I wouldn't know which one would suit you (or interest you) the most. Personally, I got a lot out of the 'systems' that you can apply to the Ted Reed book Syncopation. I still practise it now....and I started with it 32 years ago.

Hi EvilDrummer

Hey gavin! I'm running out of beats to practice, can you name your top three favorite beats to play. I mean beats other than your own because I've pretty much heard most of them I think :D

I don't really think in terms of 'beats'. You've heard all my beats? Can you play them?

Hi Gus

Any experience with Sonor beech kits?

yes I recently played a Sonor Beech Infinite and I thought it sounded great.
IMG_0868.jpg

Hi szokematyi

I'm in a situation, where I'm trying to find the best groove (of course, thats a relative term!) for a verse, but whatever I come up with, don't really "says" what I want it to. It's a two measure-long 11/8 part, divided into two 6/8-5/8 part. The guitar plays the same time signatures, and if I only play "with the guitar", it sounds kind of silly for me. But whenever I try to find a different beat/groove, "bend the measures" a bit, I get the feeling that I slip away too far from the guitar's "pulse".
What would be your approach? Let it rest a bit, then try again, or "muscle it out"? I'm starting to ran out of ideas, so I need a new approach.

Just keep trying...and if nothing comes easily - leave it for a few days and come back to it fresh. Don't be afraid of playing the most obvious thing either. Sometimes that's the best thing for the song.

Hi crystalfunky

could you tell me or us a bit about your recording. Beeing specific are you willing to share your frequency settings where your bass drum or snare drum sounds perfect for you? If not, could you help me out a little in general with the frequencies, so i can learn from you a bit?

Do you mean EQ? I try to use EQ as little as possible. If I need more attack from say the bass drum - I try to make the bass drum have more attack by changing the bass drum beater or the batter head or move the mic to a different position or try another mic. If I boost a certain frequency with EQ it will affect the other drums and cymbals that can be heard in the bass drum mic in a way that I probably don't want. So if I add a lot of eq to all the drums the whole thing starts to sound odd to me and unnatural. If I think something does need a boost - I just get a software EQ and play around with it until I can get it to sit right in the mix. It's important to hear the drums with the music as you're EQ'ing. Don't just isolate one drum and boost or cut frequencies whilst listening to it in solo.

Hi Nils

I have the problem that my bassdrum is not as precise as I wished to be. So I started to do Gary Chesters New Breed exercises but I'm totally bored by the amount of exercises you can do. I'd like to ask you if there are any systems of the book or other exercises in general you would prefer to develop a precise bassdrum technique.

the first exercise of that book is very good. Play 16ths with both hands exactly together on two hi hats (you can also do this on one hi hat) and make sure they don't flam. You'd be amazed how many people can't actually do that. Then play the 'melodies' on the bass drum. It's not a question of how quick you can get through the exercises - so repeat each bar until you think you have it perfect - then move on to the next bar. The exercise really is to 'listen' to see if you can have a great accurate feeling of sync between your hands and feet with NO FLAMS.

Secondly I have a question regarding bassdrum sounds. I'm playing a lot of Rock and loud music but I only have a 20" bassdrum. Although I have a Remo Powersonic head on it it has not the punch and the power I need. I know that I will never get the sound from a 20" than from a 22" but do you have any ideas/experiences maybe a new head or a special tuning or whatever to get as close as possible?

I almost always use a 22" bass drum. I have a 20" but only use it in 'jazz' situations so I don't know of a head that will give you that 'bigger' sound.

Hi Christian Beck

I ordered the special Edition of 'Octane Twisted' and I'm curios what sound format the DVD will contain? Stereo/5.1 ? Can you tell me, 'cause I found no details on that on the internet.

It's just stereo - and it's just a 57 minute bonus DVD disc to the double live album.

cheers
Gavin

It's just stereo - and it's just a 57 minute bonus DVD disc to the double live album.

Don't say 'just'. It's more than a fair deal for this price!

I was at the concert in Leipzig during the 'The Incident'-Tour and although some guys broke into our car while we were watching the show, it was still worth it :)

Two things I will never forget about this night:

1. PT's incredible performance on that evening
2. Driving home (about 50 miles) with no rear door window in the middle of the night in late october.

So, there were actually TWO incidents on that night for us :)

Cheers

Christian

I don't really think in terms of 'beats'. You've heard all my beats? Can you play them?

Well I've heard everything you have on youtube and most porcupine tree stuff.

Ehm... good point haha, no I can't play them, I'll start practicing right away.

I know sound of muzak, the verse beat took me a year to "master" because I didn't have the chops to play it but I can say with confidence that I can play the crap out of that beat now.

Hi Gavin

I like to learn the groove from "Bonnie the Cat" l like it very much !
i saw you in Basel last year....
i found notes from Mr.Terry Branam - ( jear 2009.)
Is this groove sheet with 8 bars the "original" groove from you,
or have you another sheet yet?

best regards
Mike

Hi Gavin,

Thanks for the note. I do my practice with The Realistic Rock Drum Method and The Encyclopedia of Double Bass Drumming [Bobby Rondinelli, Michael Lauren.
Actually I have YAMAHA E-Drum at home and with Acoustic Drum set at YAMAHA store rented a room twice in a week.Hope it works!

Can you discuss what do you like about Donald Fagen recent record?

salute!

Hey Gavin, you wrote:

I almost always use a 22" bass drum. I have a 20" but only use it in 'jazz' situations so I don't know of a head that will give you that 'bigger' sound.

On your Sanity and Gravity cd, on tracks like "Sonata in H" and "Big News For a Small Day", was it an unpadded 20" bass drum?

Nice music, anyway!

Hi Gavin,

What's your idea about a clinic in Tehran,Iran? Oh.. That's a far dream!!
You are so popular here...

Best wishes
Aria

Hi Gavin

i have a question:
Have got porcupine tree songs without druming ?
I like to play along with your drum sheets :)

Playalong : The Sound of Muzak
: Bonnie the cat

Nice Day !

regards
Mike

or have you another sheet yet?
Ask Kalma here on the forum, he did a very accurate transcription of it (I did the layout for the transcription but I cannot find the PDF nor the Finale file on my harddrive anymore)

Hi Gavin

i have a question:
Have got porcupine tree songs without druming ?
I like to play along with your drum sheets :)

Playalong : The Sound of Muzak
: Bonnie the cat

Nice Day !

regards
Mike
This is asked a lot, the answer is "no". These are not available and will not be available.

There ARE however play alongs available from his first two solo records. You get them when you buy the transcription books for these albums.
There is also a version of 19 days available (but can't remember where).

Hi Gavin,

I read on wikipedia that you use a Mackie 32-8-2 with the Apogee Rosetta 800 cards - is that right?

I'll get a mackie 32/8 console soon and I'm looking for good converters.
I noticed that the rosettas are discontinued but also wondered how you connect them to the mackie? As far as I can see they only have those multipin-connectors. The manual of the mackie 32/8 sais, that these connectors are ONLY for connecting a 24E Expander console..?

Can you clear me up?

Thanks a lot! :)

Ask Kalma here on the forum, he did a very accurate transcription of it (I did the layout for the transcription but I cannot find the PDF nor the Finale file on my harddrive anymore)

This is asked a lot, the answer is "no". These are not available and will not be available.

There ARE however play alongs available from his first two solo records. You get them when you buy the transcription books for these albums.
There is also a version of 19 days available (but can't remember where).

There actually is a playalong available for Sound of Muzak, I have it myself.

Hi Gavin,

I thoroughly enjoy your style! Your approach to drumming makes it a joy to listen to!

I'm interested in your working relationship with 05Ric and how you and he have made recording possible given the long distance geographically.

What tips do you have for someone who is also trying to overcome that gap with a fellow artist? How can I provide the drum takes necessary given the very limited amount of time we are able to spend together? Basically, have you and 05Ric found a method that really works best?

Thanks a lot!

A. Chipman

Hi soultrain73

I like to learn the groove from "Bonnie the Cat" l like it very much !
i found notes from Mr.Terry Branam - ( jear 2009.) Is this groove sheet with 8 bars the "original" groove from you, or have you another sheet yet?

If Terry has written it you can be sure it's very accurate - so work from that one. There's some explanation of it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUA_n04C1bs

Hi sina

Can you discuss what do you like about Donald Fagen recent record?

I've only listened to it a couple of times - but so far I've really enjoyed it. I've always liked his jazzy sense of harmony. The grooves are very simple but just right for the songs.

Hi Canyonero

On your Sanity and Gravity cd, on tracks like "Sonata in H" and "Big News For a Small Day", was it an unpadded 20" bass drum?

Actually it's a 16" floor tom converted into a bass drum (no padding).

Hi AriA Ev

What's your idea about a clinic in Tehran,Iran? Oh.. That's a far dream!!
You are so popular here...

Thanks - Sounds good to me.

Hi soultrain73

i have a question: Have got porcupine tree songs without druming ?

Yes. Can I give them to you? No sorry.

Hi Kalma

I read on wikipedia that you use a Mackie 32-8-2 with the Apogee Rosetta 800 cards - is that right? I'll get a mackie 32/8 console soon and I'm looking for good converters.
I noticed that the rosettas are discontinued but also wondered how you connect them to the mackie? As far as I can see they only have those multipin-connectors. The manual of the mackie 32/8 sais, that these connectors are ONLY for connecting a 24E Expander console..?

They're not 'cards'. They are 1U rack mount hardware pieces. They connect to the Mackie desk via TRS jack to D SUB multi core. Each Apogee can handle 8 inputs and 8 outputs. The Mackie desk has 'direct outs' on each channel as TRS Jack. So I take (a maximum of 16 direct channel outs) and send them via the multi cores over to the Apogee convertors. The Apogees come with ADAT lightpipe digital outputs - so in banks of 8 - they get feed into a MOTU 828 MK3 and then they pass the digital signal onto to the computer via firewire from the MOTU. If you want record at 96k then you need two MOTU boxes daisy-chained together. I really the sound of the whole system. If you're curious about 'mic-pres' you should check out this excellent test: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/preampsmedia.htm

Hi A. Chipman

I'm interested in your working relationship with 05Ric and how you and he have made recording possible given the long distance geographically. What tips do you have for someone who is also trying to overcome that gap with a fellow artist? How can I provide the drum takes necessary given the very limited amount of time we are able to spend together? Basically, have you and 05Ric found a method that really works best?

The way Ric and I work is quite easy and simple (just exchanging files over the internet) - but we're writing and recording for ourselves. If you're doing drum sessions for someone else - and they can't be there at the time of the session - then they need to be REALLY clear about what they want from you - the kind of drum sound they are looking for and how much creative input they want from you. Try and get as much info from them as possible. Some folks just want the drums played like the demo - other people are more "just play what you want". That obviously comes with a certain amount of trust in you. Maybe they've heard you play on something else - and they are very familiar with your drumming and are happy to 'leave you to it'. It's slightly different every time. I start off doing what I think is best for the tune...and usually they're happy with that.

cheers
Gavin

they get feed into a MOTU 828 MK3 and then they pass the digital signal onto to the computer via firewire from the MOTU.

I really the sound of the whole system. If you're curious about 'mic-pres' you should check out this excellent test: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct12/articles/preampsmedia.htm
Interesting. I always assumed you used the available firewire cards for the Apogees.
How are you clocking the units? Apogees slaving to the Motu clock or one of the apogees as master and the others as slaves?

And got my deluxe edition of Octane Twisted. Nice to see that you are more or less the man behind this project (you are mentioned in the credits a lot more then Wilson). Very nice playing! Brings back good memories :)

Also, nice shootout. Need to check that one out soon.
@Kalma: every preamp has its own characteristics. Its difficult to describe the differences between them but there definitely is a difference between an API, SSL, Neve, Focusrite, Mackie, Presonus, Audient, Daking etc. See these as different brands of vanilla ice-cream. They all hint to vanilla, but some are sweeter, other have more vanilla taste, others are more watery etc. It comes down to taste with preamps.

Hi Gavin,

After listening to 'Silent Wars' from the upcoming 'LoFi Resistance' album I directly ordered the cd from burning shed.

Cool song, cool vocals, great sound and very nice drumming of yours!

Can't wait to hear the whole album!

Back