Teaching middle schoolers percussion after school...

So I teach math at a middle school/high school, and took on the job of drumline instructor during football season. It was a fun time, a little stressful, but I enjoyed it. Our parade season is winding down, and I want to keep working with the kids after Christmas is over. Any suggestions? I want to start working with them on rudiments and really get into technique, but I also want to make it fun. Any suggestions or ideas?

When I taught one thing I liked to do was write music for my students. Nothing real hard, since they are kind of just starting out, but something that they had to work at to play. By doing this it allowed me to also incorporate many different instruments and styles at the same time. And the beauty of it, they took pride in learning those pieces of music because they were original to only that group. At the end of the year I would set-up a little 8-channel recorder and have them lay down everything as an ensemble and give them copies. Just something fun to break-up the redundant method book work.

You can:

• Work on percussion ensemble music. Make sure the level of music is easy enough for middle school students.

• Work on concert band material. Many students need extra help in tone production or just reading their parts. As you probably know already, many students don't know the proper technique for concert bass drum, triangle, suspended cymbals, etc... Addressing these topics should make the band director very happy.

• Work on drum set. Many school students take private lessons but do not necessarily work on the skills necessary for band. To prepare students for the school jazz band, make sure to address chart reading and interpretation, styles, and coordination. I have done similar workshops with middle school students and have yielded great results.

Jeff

Back