Mapex M Series Drums, Need Info

RMS

I recenty bought a 7-piece M-series kit. The badges say M and Made in China. Does my kit have basswood shells with an outer ply of maple? That's what I'm thinking from limited Google searches.

Attachments

• mapexm.jpg
    mapexm.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3,896
Those appear to be the M-Birch model. I am not a Mapex expert by any means, but I do have the Pro-M which is Maple. The Mapex description for the M-Birch is:

"Mapex M Birch has established itself as a worldwide favorite. One hundred percent birch shells, a beautiful exterior ply of maple, striking high-gloss transparent lacquer finishes..."

According to the Mapex catalogue for 2008 that badge would indicate the M-Birch series.

Good Luck they look great and should sound great.

Yep thats M birch.. same as mine

so instead of maple over basswood... youve got Maple veneer surrounding a shell totally made from birch. Sounds fab on my kit :)

IMHO one of the best value lower midrange kits available.

Those appear to be the M-Birch model. I am not a Mapex expert by any means, but I do have the Pro-M which is Maple. The Mapex description for the M-Birch is:

"Mapex M Birch has established itself as a worldwide favorite. One hundred percent birch shells, a beautiful exterior ply of maple, striking high-gloss transparent lacquer finishes..."

According to the Mapex catalogue for 2008 that badge would indicate the M-Birch series.

Good Luck they look great and should sound great.

that's true but I want to add that they are made from asian birch which is softer than scandinavian or american birch . so the tone migth sound like a cross between birch and basswood . is not as cutting as birch but overall they are good drums

Thanks guys, and they seem like nice drums, though I haven't played them yet.
I wanted to know the wood because I plan on selling them and I didn't want to rip anyone off by advertising them as birch. They do seem to be in great condition, and I wasn't sure if they were the old M's, which I read were basswood.

Back