after x- mas work

gwaco

some of you may have seen my x-mas sneak peak thread of the drum set and pedals i had gotten for jennifer . well after many hours of disassembly and cleaning here are the results ! every drum and stand started out looking like the one on the left in the first pic .
now that i've got all that work done its time to settle on what type of wood to recover them in .

Attachments

• sessions 004.JPG
    sessions 004.JPG
    301.6 KB · Views: 469
  • sessions 013.JPG
    sessions 013.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 456
  • sessions 015.JPG
    sessions 015.JPG
    320.8 KB · Views: 460
  • sessions 020.JPG
    sessions 020.JPG
    351.4 KB · Views: 457
  • sessions 021.JPG
    sessions 021.JPG
    328 KB · Views: 457
  • sessions 025.JPG
    sessions 025.JPG
    281.9 KB · Views: 453
  • sessions 027.JPG
    sessions 027.JPG
    335.1 KB · Views: 453
Excellent job mate......what was the process? The kit looks brand new! What did you use to clean all the hardware?
are you ready for the screams of horror ! weapon of choice for the chrome hardware was .........steel wool !
i used 0000 grit and it did not put a single scratch on any chrome . this was a throwback from my car restoration days . unless you use massive down pressure it will not scratch and cleans the best out of everything i've tried , but it needs to be 0000 . after the wool somethings got a session with a product named "never dull" to which everything got a nice coat of automotive wax . the shells got a good scrubing with soapy water ( just a damp cloth ) and a coat of wax . so far i have figured i have over 50 hours into just the cleaning and still have a few stands to do .
h.t.h.

hi!

I followed your advice and now my hardware looks brand new!!!

I'd like to have some infromation about what you done to the pedals , they look brand new .

She's a beauty! Nice kit too...
Kidding aside, great work! It really looks like a new kit. I'm not very knowledgeable about Pearl... is a session series comparable to an export series, or to the vision series, or even higher up in the food chain? And how do these sound?

thanks everyone . enrico glad you found it useful ! nothing like shiney chrome ! as far as the pedals go i took them pretty much all apart and did a good cleaning and oiling . but i'm sure most are interested in how to get the footboard looking new , so heres what i did - first clean them with a wool pad to get off as much of the dirt you can . next if the black paint is worn use black semi gloss ( if you want to match the original color ) and spray that area . * side note - i did tape off the upper portion of the foot board as not to get paint everywhere on the foot board . after the piant dries i used a hard rubber sanding block with 150 grit sand paper and used one way strokes the length of the pedal . i had to replace the paper a couple of times when i did each board because the aluminum takes the grit out of the paper pretty quick and you want it to give you that brushed look . you want to keep the paper tight and the block flat as to not remove the painted areas . as for the little removable traction plates , those were beadblasted and powder coated with black texture ( wrinkle finish ) .
hth

Last edited:
She's a beauty! Nice kit too...
Kidding aside, great work! It really looks like a new kit. I'm not very knowledgeable about Pearl... is a session series comparable to an export series, or to the vision series, or even higher up in the food chain? And how do these sound?
i think the early years of the sessions were stripped ( lesser hardware ) versions of the master kit . they used the same shells but had alot less options than the masters . the earlier sessions kit used 20 lug bass drums same as masters but later kits used 16 .
so before they were discontinued i would say the early kits = stripped masters , the later kits = vision .
as far as sound , its the only set jennifer wants to use now ! i found them very easy to tune , really good projection with a very tight sound .

well i finally have finished up with all the cleaning , time to give the hands a rest ! but one thing that came as a very nice surprise was the snare . i had pretty much written it off as parts , but having run out of things to clean (l.o.l.) i thought i might as well do something with it and here is the result ! i wasn't able to get every little pit out or every little rust spot off , but i reused everything that was on the drum except the head .
also i have included a couple of better pics of the pedals . i still need to get two replacement screws for the toe plates .
also i finally decided on what to do about recovering them and decided to go with leopardwood venner . should be here soon along with the 8" sessions drum i purchased . so really the work has just started !

Attachments

• sessions 020.JPG
    sessions 020.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 161
  • sessions 016.JPG
    sessions 016.JPG
    283.7 KB · Views: 160
  • sessions 014.JPG
    sessions 014.JPG
    282.7 KB · Views: 168
  • sessions 013.JPG
    sessions 013.JPG