First time post... my Yams.

kamranv

Hey all. Been reading the threads for a while... figured I'd go ahead and put up some pics myself. What the heck!

These are my new (pre-owned) Yamaha Custom Absolutes. The kick is maple, while the toms are all birch. I know... it's an interesting color combo. This is the way these were ordered, according to the guy I bought them from. I thought it was kind of cool, and I'm really enjoying them.

Toms are: 8", 10", 12", 14", 16" (sorry, don't remember depths)
Kick is: 18"x22"
My snare is an OCP 7"x13" maple with a red sparkle lacquer finish.
Crashes are all Zildjian A Customs.
Main hi hats are 14" Zildjian A Custom Mastersounds.
Additional hi hat (right side) is a 14" Zildjian Quick Beat.
Ride is a 20" A Custom Projection.
China is a 16" Wuhan.

Gotta say, it's really addicting looking at everyone's kits. Also dangerous... make me want more stuff! :)

pic011.jpg

pic009.jpg

pic008.jpg

pic007.jpg

pic006.jpg

pic005.jpg

pic003.jpg

Welcome to the Drummerworld.com discussion forum!

I love the look of your drums. A person can never go wrong with the Yamaha brand. I think it's interesting that you have two different finishes between your toms and bass drum, but I nevertheless like the effect. Am I wrong in assuming your kit configuration is a reflection of or was in some way inspired by Neil Peart's?

I can relate to anyone with a habit for viewing others' kits. I don't often post, but I visit this forum every day to look for new pictures of other members' drums.

Welcome to the Drummerworld.com discussion forum!

I love the look of your drums. A person can never go wrong with the Yamaha brand. I think it's interesting that you have two different finishes between your toms and bass drum, but I nevertheless like the effect. Am I wrong in assuming your kit configuration is a reflection of or was in some way inspired by Neil Peart's?

I can relate to anyone with a habit for viewing others' kits. I don't often post, but I visit this forum every day to look for new pictures of other members' drums.

Thanks! Yeah, good catch about the Peart setup. It was definitely partly inspired by him, and also just partly inspired by ergonomics. I normally don't play such a large kit on gigs. I like to play 1 up 2 down Bonham type of setup. I like my ride setup to the right of the rack tom like that, and my hi hat close to my snare and medium height. That doesn't leave many other places to put the high toms in my opinion. It works for me. :)

Thanks for the positive comments!

Hey im likeing your kit colours. does that cymbal ontop of your ride get in the way of the bell?

A used pro kit is better than a new intermediate one. Congrats. I have the same kit in black. Picked it up on the cheap on Craigslist.

When I had an e-kit, I set it up back-to-back with the acoustic just like yours. Enjoy!

Hi there mate, nice setup. Is that a yamaha MG16/6FX mixer? If so i'm quite interested in knowing if you think it's any good. In fact i'm quite interested about your recording setup in general because it looks pretty good stuff.

A used pro kit is better than a new intermediate one. Congrats. I have the same kit in black. Picked it up on the cheap on Craigslist.

When I had an e-kit, I set it up back-to-back with the acoustic just like yours. Enjoy!

Thanks! Yeah, I like having them setup back-2-back although my drum riser is just a little too small for me to actually turn around on my throne and use them both in real-time. Before I had the riser I had them setup on the floor side-by-side, which was actually better when friends would come over because 2 people could play at the same time, which is always fun! :)

What happened to your e-kit?

Hi there mate, nice setup. Is that a yamaha MG16/6FX mixer? If so i'm quite interested in knowing if you think it's any good. In fact i'm quite interested about your recording setup in general because it looks pretty good stuff.

Hi! Yes, that's a MG16/6FX mixer. I love it. I am a big fan of Yamaha gear in general. I think they make great electronics. Especially for the money. Their music electronics and home theater stuff in my opinion is great bang for the buck. Their high end drums I think are a little expensive, but awesome quality of course.

For recording I use the Yamaha mixer and a PC with an Edirol FA-101 firewire 10-in 10-out interface, and a set of Event Studio Precision 8 active monitors (which I love). I use Mackie Tracktion 3 as my DAW software. Tracktion is relatively cheap and it's super easy to use, which is important to me. Most of the time when I record demos I actually just use the Roland e-kit, but if I have to use live drums I like to use an Audix i5 for the snare, good old SM-57's for the toms, either a Shure Beta 52a or AKG D112 for the kick, and I have a matched pair of Octava MK012's for the over-heads.

Those are the major components of my recording rig. I have other stuff too but that's the main rig.

Thanks for the interest!

Hi! Yes, that's a MG16/6FX mixer. I love it. I am a big fan of Yamaha gear in general. I think they make great electronics. Especially for the money. Their music electronics and home theater stuff in my opinion is great bang for the buck. Their high end drums I think are a little expensive, but awesome quality of course.

For recording I use the Yamaha mixer and a PC with an Edirol FA-101 firewire 10-in 10-out interface, and a set of Event Studio Precision 8 active monitors (which I love). I use Mackie Tracktion 3 as my DAW software. Tracktion is relatively cheap and it's super easy to use, which is important to me. Most of the time when I record demos I actually just use the Roland e-kit, but if I have to use live drums I like to use an Audix i5 for the snare, good old SM-57's for the toms, either a Shure Beta 52a or AKG D112 for the kick, and I have a matched pair of Octava MK012's for the over-heads.

Those are the major components of my recording rig. I have other stuff too but that's the main rig.

Thanks for the interest!

nice one. I was just interested b/c there is a used one on ebay. It was more my second choice though because i would rather have 8 group outs for the 8 analogue ins on my audio interface. Mine is 10/10 as well but it's an internal PCI card with a rack mounted I/O box. It came with a free copy of tracktion actually but i didn't really think it was as good as cakewalk which is what i use. As for the mics, it sounds like a pretty good setup, nice setup of mics although i don't really get on with the midrange of an SM57 for toms, i think it's really better suited as a snare mic to be honest. That's just me though.

I just cant get over the colour combo.. i love it. I actually think a whole kit made from the red/orange fade would look like TOO much... the blue which cools it down and offsets it really adds something.

Its an explosion of colour, and looks ace. very impressive

I agree with the poster above and also would add that a Maple Bass drum with Birch Toms, very nice mix as well. Yeah, your kit is a bomb.

If I were to ever put my custom "dream kit" together, I think I would go maple kick/birch toms as well. I would probably keep the finish consistent though, but there is something oddly cool about this color combo you have going. Anyway, real nice stuff.

Back