Porter's New Purpleheart Kit

Now that's sounding sweet! Some echos of Guru in the delivery too (I wonder why that is ;) A feature of the edge specifications, & even more so when unvented with a stiff shell (i.e. stave), is how the pitch increases slightly as you load up the dynamics on the toms. Personally, I love that. It's subtle, but does a nice job of accentuating higher dynamic playing, & adds a further dimension to the instrument.

Would have been nice to back the tom mic's off slightly (distance) to capture more of the resolved sound, & also unload that compression. Compression makes for a slightly more punchy performance, but if you're trying to represent the kit, it's kind of a shame. Anyhow, you can get that punch back by backing off the mic's as suggested.

This IS maple on steroids, but with the shorter note & very prominent fundamental of stave.

A lovely kit, & I'm pleased the edge combination is delivering for you :)

Now that's sounding sweet! Some echos of Guru in the delivery too (I wonder why that is ;) A feature of the edge specifications, & even more so when unvented with a stiff shell (i.e. stave), is how the pitch increases slightly as you load up the dynamics on the toms. Personally, I love that. It's subtle, but does a nice job of accentuating higher dynamic playing, & adds a further dimension to the instrument.

I love that as well. More sounds from the same drum is usually good!

Would have been nice to back the tom mic's off slightly (distance) to capture more of the resolved sound, & also unload that compression. Compression makes for a slightly more punchy performance, but if you're trying to represent the kit, it's kind of a shame. Anyhow, you can get that punch back by backing off the mic's as suggested.

I'll keep that in mind, as I'm not nearly as educated about the recording side as I should be (given that my dad is also uneducated about the recording side, haha).

They sound excellent. :)
Nice playing too.

Thanks!

Wow, I love everything in this clip, starting with your playing, man, you're a badass...

Yes, the BD is a bit dry, I would love a little more open sound as is the case for the tom next to your hi-hat on the left (it might be intentional).

I agree with Andy's comment, there's some Guru elements in the sound and that's a compliment here, haha...

I love the setup, makes me wanna play it :)

Man you must be proud of your purple baby...

WOW I love the sound of your kit man. It takes a lot to draw me out of lurker mode but I had to let you know how much I love the sound of your kit. This is the first I've heard from DeVille drums, now I NEED some. For what it's worth I also NEED a Guru kit.
Oh, and your playing is pretty good also.
Thanks for the introduction to DeVille drums.
Mike

Sounds great, Porter.

Nice playing too!

Sounds great, Porter.

Nice playing too!

Thanks!

WOW I love the sound of your kit man. It takes a lot to draw me out of lurker mode but I had to let you know how much I love the sound of your kit. This is the first I've heard from DeVille drums, now I NEED some. For what it's worth I also NEED a Guru kit.

Haha, thanks! Terry (owner of DaVille) makes some great stuff, and stave construction executed well brings a lot of qualities that I like to drums.

Yes, the BD is a bit dry, I would love a little more open sound as is the case for the tom next to your hi-hat on the left (it might be intentional).

I agree with Andy's comment, there's some Guru elements in the sound and that's a compliment here, haha...

Yeah, still tuning and such. The heads are still fairly new and, I guess, still stretching out. The 10" detunes if you basically so much as breathe on it. But I'm sure that will get better in time, especially when I switch to all G12s on batter side.

Thanks for the video. I can tell you work hard on your playing, keep up the momentum, you are sounding good.

Hey, thanks. The one benefit of not practicing anything worthwhile for a couple of months is that I get pretty good at improv...

Great kit !

If you love Purpleheart, you should try this snare (Rock and Whiskey made in UK)
This is a solid Purpleheart hand made snare 14x5 finished off with an aged chequer plate metal sheet , sounds great !

AQ_f.jpg

I'm not crazy about that metal, but looks like it has all the ingredients for a great drum sound :)

I'd like to echo the other's sentiments Porter....What a great sounding kit. Love your tunings. I'm partial to the tom with the G1 on top. But it is a very unique sounding kit. Nice going.

Back