Drummers with one Crash/Ride Setup

yabasta!

hello.

i have recently pieced together a kit with a 26"x16" bass, 14x13"" rack, 18" floor, and a 14"x8" snare.

I have a 24" Paiste Giant Beat that I absolutely love! I used it more as a crash than anything.

So my question is:

Are there any drummers who use this set up? one hi hat and one crash/ride?

Could any of you could recommend a drummer for me to look into to look at their technique and how they use their setup?

Thanks in advance!

Are there any drummers who use this set up? one hi hat and one crash/ride?

Yes, many drummers have used that setup.

Could any of you could recommend a drummer for me to look into to look at their technique and how they use their setup?

Here's how you use your setup: when you need to ride on the ride cymbal, ride on the ride cymbal, and when you need to crash a cymbal, crash the ride cymbal (or the hi-hats, if possible). Simple enough?

Here's how you use your setup: when you need to ride on the ride cymbal, ride on the ride cymbal, and when you need to crash a cymbal, crash the ride cymbal (or the hi-hats, if possible). Simple enough?

right. But I wanted to see how dudes used it you know? It is as simple as can be but I'm sure that there are people out there who execute some sick moves on that setup as if there were more than what there is. This is what i do, but I just started so I would like to see someone shred on a kit like that. thats all.

thanks!

Yes, many drummers have used that setup.

^??????????????????????????????^

Anyway, I'd say check out ?uestlove and Mike johnston, they'd be the only two off the top of my head. Mike only does it from time to time but he'll show you how much potential there really is with a minimalist setup?

Hello, yabasta!

Are there any drummers who use this set up?

A: Yes, I do. On my 5-piece Peavey 500 set.

one hi hat and one crash/ride?

A: Yes. 14" hi-hat and 16" crash/ride cymbal.

A: Bill Ward (Black Sabbath) check on the video Paranoid, he crashes on the hi-hat.

A: Myself, I tight the upper nut on the cymbal for riding (to get the accurate sound), if the upper nut is loose then the cymbal it will sound too bright during riding. I use the hi-hat for crashing while open-close. Sometimes I loose the nut for crash and crashing the crash cymbal.

Best Regards,

Last edited:
A: Myself, I tight the upper nut on the cymbal for riding (to get the accurate sound).
I wouldn't tighten the cymbal too much, the cymbal is much more likely to crack that way, because you are stopping the vibrations in the cymbal.
I would rather splash out on a ride than have no crash and ride at all.

I wouldn't tighten the cymbal too much, the cymbal is much more likely to crack that way, because you are stopping the vibrations in the cymbal.
I would rather splash out on a ride than have no crash and ride at all.

Hi,

Obviously I meant tight, not over tight...

So long,

The first thing that came to my mind is Greg Saunier from Deerhoof. He is the beast of the beasts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5c-UmlNvRc

First one to come up in my head too. You can see some of the ideas that you would normally hear spread around a kit mimicked with just a snare/bass/hi-hat/ride. I think you have to take full advantage of the dynamic range of your instrument in a setup like that so you can get as many distinct sounds as possible from the drums.

Hi Yabasta.

I have an 18" crash/ride cymbal (Sabian B8). I got that cymbal as part of a package, so I figured 'great! Two cymbals in one! Great deal!' At least that's what I thought.

I'm starting to like it less and less. The cymbal is better suited for crashing than riding, after having played it for a while. It's actually starting to drive me nuts! Sometimes I don't want to reach for my other crash because I want to stay near the ride, so I'll hit the 18" like a crash and just continue riding it. Well, when you do that, you have to make sure you're riding the cymbal while it comes back into place (after having crashed it) 'cause it's moving all over the place...

Anyways, I've decided to look for a dedicated ride cymbal, and relegate the crash/ride to just crash duties. If you're on a budget (a really strict one) and you're just starting out, then yes, the crash/ride setup will get you by. But I recommend, when you can, get that ride!

thanks duders for all the sweet vids.

It has nothing to do with me just starting off, I just like simple things : )

I was considering a 24" pasite 2002 ride, but to tell you the truth I would be crashing on that thing also.

thanks duders for all the sweet vids.

It has nothing to do with me just starting off, I just like simple things : )

I was considering a 24" pasite 2002 ride, but to tell you the truth I would be crashing on that thing also.

Hey 'that's enough' (it just hit me what your username is; very clever),

As the infamous Jar Jar Binks said, "your point is well seen." I didn't mean to imply you were starting off. We're all pro's here, right? :)

And you're right, if I get that ride for my kit, I'll probably smash it like a crash too!

Drum on!

Back